My NAOMI collection so far

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
I just recently got a monkey ball gd which incentivized me to pull out my NAOMI stuff. Please judge my addiction.
113c88b87beb9349a9a06a630d3bd4fc.jpg

Game List:
MVC2
MBAA x2
MB AC
GGXX #R
GGXX Slash
GGXX ^C
Chaos Field
CVS2
Virtua Golf
Sports Jam
World Series Baseball
Monkey Ball

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Nice collection! Here mine

image.jpg

Jk but I have been wanting to get back into Naomi stuffs

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
It's good to see ya again Kaph :)

lovin what you got! do you still have the typing of the dead setup too?

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
lovin what you got! do you still have the typing of the dead setup too?

I have the cab, which was originally a Lupin the 3rd the typing cab. I did try turning it into a typing of the dead machine, but the naomi cart is not what I expected. Even with a US region bios the language is japanese. it uses western characters/keyboard but it has all japanese words? Found it to be kind of annoying to have to type words fast that I don't know. I ended up selling the cart and doing a US dream cast setup instead. Which worked out really nicely tbh. Now i'm planning to convert that same cab into my new monkey ball station. I have everything I need to make it work, just need to wire it up nicely.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
yeah japanese TotD is rough, I didn't know that about the cart and Im guessing it was never officially released in US arcades. It's a shame, especially for our computer-raised generation who are already half-decent at typing by default..

I'm glad to hear the cab is gonna see new life as a monkey ball, that banana stick panel is so wonderful. Can't wait to see some pics!

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
yeah japanese TotD is rough, I didn't know that about the cart and Im guessing it was never officially released in US arcades. It's a shame, especially for our computer-raised generation who are already half-decent at typing by default..

I'm glad to hear the cab is gonna see new life as a monkey ball, that banana stick panel is so wonderful. Can't wait to see some pics!

I've always thought the Naomi ROM deserves a translation from the DC version. Easier said than done though.

Awesome Naomi setup, ive been wanting to get into Naomi. However i normally blow all my cash on Neo or my car.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Awesome Naomi setup, ive been wanting to get into Naomi. However i normally blow all my cash on Neo or my car.

Thanks man, I luckily don't suffer from the neo addiction too badly. I used to have a pretty bad CPS2 addiction until I realized I only play 10 or so of the games... no need to have every one imo. My car on the other hand is definitely a costly bitch. When I started out collecting arcade stuff I wasn't making much money (6 or so years ago). At that time I could barely afford one cab, and there's no way it was going to be a JVS setup. I got a new astro to start me off because I was only interested in playing SF2 and SF3 back then. But as my time with the games extended I evolved.

I got blast cities to try out some newer things, but still wanted backwards compatibility to play the 15kHz stuff. That's when I decided to check out a naomi. This was all back before net dimm loading had been figured out. So trying games on the naomi was actually a really costly process. Just making the jump to get the gdrom/dimm setup for most people used to be a big deal, both financially and technically. Setting up all the damn hardware was impossible if you didn't know what connected to where. I remember when net booting first got figured out and the first time I loaded a game over ethernet :D. But for me, owning the legit arcade hardware is the best. a huge collection of downloaded games doesn't impress me.

The keys to a good collection:
1. have achievable goals
2. only buy things you can afford
3. don't sell anything you don't know where to buy again

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
Not too severe. If you had link kit's and were trying to run 4 player Gundam that would be a different story :)

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
1. have achievable goals

^this 1000x. you nailed it Kaph. this needs a banner, lol

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
1. have achievable goals

4. Only buy things you'll actually use/play

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire

I go back and forth on this one myself. I know i've bought a lot of things and ended up selling them... and I've even bought things i don't care about with the strict intention of trading them for other rare things I do care about. In the end though... you're right. It's not a good idea to have a ton of money tied up in retro games that you don't even use. I ended up selling the early versions of all my cps2 games and just keeping the last one... SFA3, VS, ST, etc.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member

like Kaph, I also agree that this is a good guideline, but not a set-in-stone rule.

There are many items I have glossed over, considered and then passed over wondering, "how badly do I really want it?" and "Am I really going to play it and get my money's worth?"

The other side of that coin for me is that I collect JP Dreamcast games (I like the orange ;) ) and have definitely purchased several titles that I have no intention of ever playing (they were all inexpensive, but I still probably won't play them).

tl;dr I do agree with you for the most part nug, but I don't follow that one 100%

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
have you done some modding on your Naomis, like LEDs, Multibios or silence fans ?

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Finally got this all wired up and playable!
1a8e417ddaface5b6a0158f862d37a04.jpg

Shout out to codecrank for his help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk