Remember Project Reality???

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
smokes ya done goofed big time

sure i posted a toilet with my pubes once

but shit? you crossed a line

Honestly, it was just some pic I randomly got off the interwebs...I thought it applicable because it was a real pic, involved a makeshift plumber...and had some lovely shit int he mix.

Compared to the crap I've seen out there in this vast world of ours...that was pretty mild.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lol, don't back down Smokes... if there's hate in your heart, let it out!

Also, there was a ton of hype for the SNES... Nintendo Power was printing articles about the "super famicon" [sic] for over a year before it hit the US. Hell, the Super NES Player's guide came out before the system was released to build hype.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This game set the standard when it was released. Sadly, the N64 would have nothing like this...ever. Once I played this title, I knew it was an evolution in gaming...it was unlike anything I had ever played before. It was sad to me this evolution didn't happen on the N64.

The N64 got a me-too MGS game.

box-art-na-nintendo-64-winback.jpg

Spent very little time with it. I played a demo at Blockbuster when it came out and was immediately turned off to it (for obvious reasons). Haven't played once since.

Now I'm really disappointed. You mean to tell me you still feel the pain of the N64 20 years later, yet you never bought a Virtual Boy? Come on, everyone knows the VB is the preferred console of Nintendo haters everywhere.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
lol, don't back down Smokes... if there's hate in your heart, let it out!

Also, there was a ton of hype for the SNES... Nintendo Power was printing articles about the "super famicon" [sic] for over a year before it hit the US. Hell, the Super NES Player's guide came out before the system was released to build hype.

Yeah...I'm going through a...um...transition in my personal life at the moment. Trying to be less of a dick. Besides, I think I blew out my dick-gland with that Spinmaster thread, since making that, I just have a hard time being a bitch about anything...

Now I'm really disappointed. You mean to tell me you still feel the pain of the N64 20 years later, yet you never bought a Virtual Boy? Come on, everyone knows the VB is the preferred console of Nintendo haters everywhere.

The first GameBoy I had was a GameBoy color. Although I did borrow my buddy's V1 GB way back with (Final Fantasy Adventure II FTW)...I was never a huge handheld guy. (up until the GBA...which I freaking loved).

The VB was an oddity to me, even when it was launched it seemed like some weird experimental album or something. Definitely nothing to be taken seriously. I was actually shocked when Nintendo ran Gunpei out of dodge because of the thing.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
LOL..."project Reality"...
SNIP

Dude look, I get what you're saying, but the N64 had some of the most fun games I have ever played. Mario 64 was incredible, and was outdone by no other game on any console. Yes, they fucked a lot of shit up, but some of the games we did get were fucking incredible.

Mario 64
Wave Race
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye

Those games alone were worth the purchase.

Jesus, I feel like it's 199X right now.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Dude look, I get what you're saying, but the N64 had some of the most fun games I have ever played. Mario 64 was incredible, and was outdone by no other game on any console. Yes, they fucked a lot of shit up, but some of the games we did get were fucking incredible.

Mario 64
Wave Race
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye

Those games alone were worth the purchase.

Jesus, I feel like it's 199X right now.

Yeah...if you read all of my long winded shit, you wold have seen me change direction a bit. Although I still hate Mario 64, sorry...I just hate it.

Of topic...look at you popping in on the NG.com. Decided to have a look at this place once again?

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I can understand that the N64 had not-so-great graphics, a weird ass controller, and limited hardware capabilities, but damn, I enjoy playing so many games on that system. It is the one system that I always keep hooked up to a tv at all times. I just had so much fun playing it growing up, and I feel like nostalgia definitely plays a part in why I love the system so much. It's just like how people who grew up with the SNES prefer that system to N64. Although, I highly doubt very many other people here grew up with an N64

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah...if you read all of my long winded shit, you wold have seen me change direction a bit. Although I still hate Mario 64, sorry...I just hate it.

Of topic...look at you popping in on the NG.com. Decided to have a look at this place once again?

I knee-jerkingly replied to your very first post, then read the whole thing. So, I'm glad you upgraded from "hate" to "was disappointed in."

And yeah, I show up every few days and read a few things here and there. I creep. It's just died SO much from years ago.... possibly because of people like me not adding their two cents to everything anymore.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can understand that the N64 had not-so-great graphics, a weird ass controller, and limited hardware capabilities, but damn, I enjoy playing so many games on that system. It is the one system that I always keep hooked up to a tv at all times. I just had so much fun playing it growing up, and I feel like nostalgia definitely plays a part in why I love the system so much. It's just like how people who grew up with the SNES prefer that system to N64. Although, I highly doubt very many other people here grew up with an N64

To me...it's the "ewok" theory.

I was 6 when Return of the Jedi came out. To me, the Ewok's were what they were. I was and always have been rather neutral concerning them. To my uncle? (a rabid geek and SW fan) He freaking hates them and will gladly bitch about them to this day.

Fast Forward to SW Ep I and Jar Jar Binks...in 1999, I wasn't so young anymore. I freaking HATE that character. Now...to talk to someone who was either young in '99 or not even born at the time...Jar Jar is a non issue. Just like I am concerning the Ewoks and how my uncle is towards them.

Everyone I know that got their start on the N64 love it. If you were a kid around 1997 or so and played games, the N64 is one hell of a system in your eyes. Factoring in the "ewok" theory...I can 100% see that. it's not a right -vs- wrong issue, it's a point of view issue.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Make no mistake, I thought Goldeneye was amazing at the time. If I played it now, I wouldn't have a single idea what was going on, nor would I want to play it. I base this off the fact I tried playing it about 4 years ago and was appalled by the terrible controls/sound/graphics of the game.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I knee-jerkingly replied to your very first post, then read the whole thing. So, I'm glad you upgraded from "hate" to "was disappointed in."

And yeah, I show up every few days and read a few things here and there. I creep. It's just died SO much from years ago.... possibly because of people like me not adding their two cents to everything anymore.

Well I guess that answers my other thread.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Make no mistake, I thought Goldeneye was amazing at the time. If I played it now, I wouldn't have a single idea what was going on, nor would I want to play it. I base this off the fact I tried playing it about 4 years ago and was appalled by the terrible controls/sound/graphics of the game.

Yeah...I've always drawn the line in my mind between "good now" and "good later". Some games stand the test of time...some, not so much. There's plenty of games that I just loved when they were new but can't bring myself to play anymore.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Doom 64 is pretty rad... it's the only reason I'd consider buying another N64.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Honestly, it was just some pic I randomly got off the interwebs...I thought it applicable because it was a real pic, involved a makeshift plumber...and had some lovely shit int he mix.

Compared to the crap I've seen out there in this vast world of ours...that was pretty mild.

If that was mild, I don't want to know what constitutes hardcore in your existence. Too much for me, brother.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
hey taiso i bet you would like the power five or the pain series

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Doom 64 is a really good version of the game. My only complaint is that the game is horribly dark (literally, as in brightness). I can't even play it properly on my LCD. On my CRT, I have to crank the brightness in order to see anything.

It was so dark, I actually searched the issue on the web and it turns out it is a known issue.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah...I've always drawn the line in my mind between "good now" and "good later". Some games stand the test of time...some, not so much. There's plenty of games that I just loved when they were new but can't bring myself to play anymore.

I was telling my son the other day that 2D games are the only ones that really stand the test of time. I used Final Fight as an example. I laughed telling him how I remember thinking that those graphics would never be bad... and in a way, they really aren't. And yet, find a game that's 3D from around the same time (I guess Virtua Fighter?). It's pure crap.

I told him "It's like, back then the graphics were amazing. But now, you're this fuzzy blob and you're shooting other fuzzy blobs."

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

Doom 64 is THE reason my N64 stays hooked up. I love my N64, but I'll be the first to tell you some of those games have aged poorly. I poured more hours than I could count into Goldeneye back in the day, but today, it's barely playable to me. I recently tried to pick up Quake 2 again on that system since I also played the hell out of it back in the day, can't do it. The controls are... bad. N64 staple Ocarina of time? Again, same deal, but the 3DS version made the original impossible to go back to, it just looks hideous by comparison.

There are still games that are still a lot of fun for me to go back and play, like Doom 64, Mario Kart 64, Blast Corps, F-Zero X, Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, Turok 1 and 2, and somehow, both Castlevania games (I got nothing for you there, I know they look terrible, and handle pretty funky) and more I can't think of off the top of my head. But a lot of games on that system either have vastly superior remakes, or have just not aged well at all.

Last edited: