Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It's a combination of both a square based & a separate saw based pattern layered on. Not to mention the bloody filters I enjoy tinkering with.

9 euros / 15 usd.. I guess that sounds right(everything's worth more then the dollar these days).

P.S. I've seen those 'Baby Inside' stickers before. More common seem to be the 'Evil Inside' ones.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
spent a few hours just playing with the FB-01 through the kaoss pad with the minibrute and MPC.

temporary carpet studio jam! I need a real space....

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I like your FB-01 jam, very nice.

I really love the little box, I'd rather sell my TX81Z or DX-7 than it. Fucking amazing dirty little 4op FM. :)

I've made lots of patches for it, always wanted to make a MIDI dump and release them and I also need to finish my FB-01 faq I've started two years ago... ah well.

I'm glad that the retro collectards ignore the late-80s/early-90s digital synths and keep the price jacking to rotten old analog stuff. This way, those who know their shit instead of going for overpriced crap can still get tons of cool stuff for cheap and make awesome music with it. :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I like your FB-01 jam, very nice.

I really love the little box, I'd rather sell my TX81Z or DX-7 than it. Fucking amazing dirty little 4op FM. :)

I've made lots of patches for it, always wanted to make a MIDI dump and release them and I also need to finish my FB-01 faq I've started two years ago... ah well.

I'm glad that the retro collectards ignore the late-80s/early-90s digital synths and keep the price jacking to rotten old analog stuff. This way, those who know their shit instead of going for overpriced crap can still get tons of cool stuff for cheap and make awesome music with it. :)

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on a FS1R, but I think having 8 operators would short circuit my brain... There's always this idea of, buy the best damn piece of hardware. Do it once, do it right, instead of incremental buying... But fuck me, the FB-01 and the 4 operator FM synths are cheap and I'm sure just as fun as the 6 and 8 operator ones.

I picked up a Volca FM. I'll have a play on that for a while, but I have a feeling this is the year of FM, Tak. We got the Reface and the Volca FM already, and I have a feeling FM is going to be storming the synth-collectors soon. Grab those cheap DX7s now, because I can see prices going up in a few years ;)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Oh, and I might as well share my noodling for tonight, as well. Just messing around with the MonoTribe through a couple BugBrand modules. Mostly trying to fix a damn audio drop in my capture card. Finally got it after thirty or so minutes.

Damn thing was pesky as hell, but tracked it down to a VST plugin that was screwing things up. Got a few nice little drones out of the MonoTribe while looking for it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's Sunday... and there is Sex & Crime

That's what it all boils down to, eh.

RabbitTroop said:
I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on a FS1R, but I think having 8 operators would short circuit my brain... There's always this idea of, buy the best damn piece of hardware. Do it once, do it right, instead of incremental buying... But fuck me, the FB-01 and the 4 operator FM synths are cheap and I'm sure just as fun as the 6 and 8 operator ones.

I picked up a Volca FM. I'll have a play on that for a while, but I have a feeling this is the year of FM, Tak. We got the Reface and the Volca FM already, and I have a feeling FM is going to be storming the synth-collectors soon. Grab those cheap DX7s now, because I can see prices going up in a few years

I'd love to have an FS1R as well, it's the ultimate FM machine. Unfortunately used prices are still quite high so I'll stick to my 2/4/6op stuff for now. The machine is actually quite efficient to use and the formant synthesis part brings in lots of things that aren't possible on pure FM synths. It takes a bit of dedication to get into but it seems to be worth it.

Don't think that 4op is always inferior to 6op just because of two ops less, specially the FB-01 and CX5MII/128 have a unique colouring in their sound that none of the 6op synths can come close to. On the other hand, some of the more advanced modulation options of 6ops are beyond the means of my 4ops so I'm glad that I have access to both FM worlds.

The Volca FM looks very interesting, it only has three (?) voices but is patch-compatible to DX7 so I could upload my custom patches to it and not only would have direct access to some parameters but also would get a quieter output in the process. The ol' DX7 is a quite noisy beast, this adds a certain charme to it but can also be a prob in quiet parts of a mix.

That said, I also really want to give Yamaha's new Montage synth a try, the combination of AWM2 and FM isn't exactly new but the Montage has way more options than its predecessors... when I first saw and heard it, I immediately saw through its glossy surface and spottet the monster sitting in its innerds that wants to be unleashed... which I gladly would do if its price tag wasn't so prohibitive.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
...and now for something completely percussive:

Feedback galore. It's speaker-wreckin' good. :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Diggin' that 'Sex & Crime' track. :buttrock:

I managed to finish another track today myself. It's an inspiration of the movie 'Bladerunner' and stressing out about taxes.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Good one, Cylo, nice and hard. Should be good enough for a tax stress relief. :)

A long time ago, I made a track based on samples of The Fog and used a small version of the official movie poster on YouTube... it got taken down after a week due to copyright issues. :(

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
repost it and label it "THE F0G"

p.s. I had some free time today so made another track.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Sitting around tonight with a few new little boxes from Michael Rucci. Actually, only one of them is making noise, the Maximal Drone, along with the trusty old MonoTribe.

I picked up one of Rucci's little passive 4 channel mono mixers for $35 and I couldn't be happier. I've been looking for a tiny little mixer that I could just stick in my bag, and this thing is rad.

mixer1-492x492.jpg

<3 Kid makes some nice little boxes for the money.

Here's my first go with the Maximal Drone. I ear tuned each of the eight oscillators, but it's easy to knock stuff out of tune while you're turning voices on and off. Actually part of the charm ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice drone and Monotribe bleeps. I like the 8-osc concept, reminds me of that new Swarm Synth thing they showed at Messe (or was that Superbooth?).

I guess the drone is completely manual without external controls, right?

Building my own little noise synth is a project I'm pondering on for years now. I've already started compiling a parts list but unfortunately completely suck at soldering &c. so it may take a little while longer before I come up with something substantial.

EDIT:

Cylo, your new track reminds me of the game Lazy Jones on C64 for some reason... good one! :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Here's the Maximal Drone.

Maximal-Drone-Black1.jpg

It does have CV in, but I think it only starts and stops the voice. No control over VCF, so you have to tune all of that manually, but it's really great tuning up, or de-tuning, and letting them all sing. My only complaint would be the pots are a little too sensitive. Fine tuning is literally touching them and gently tweaking it to a pitch, but I think a lot of folks just go for all out noise with these and wouldn't really mind ;)

I love it.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
There is a San Francisco based radio station called "Soma FM". I'd always tune into one of their programs called 'Drone Zone'. It inspired me to experiment with ambient/drone stuff awhile back. Once I established 'Cylotron' and the sort of sounds to follow, I stopped. Would be fun to tinker again.

As for the new track, thanks! While I was working on it, I kept thinking "I don't know if I like this..." but kept going anyway :multi_co:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here's another one I've finished just now: 4T

Take The T-Train :)

I have a thing for reverb-y stuff at the moment. That said, I want an Eventide H9, sounds awesome but sadly costs a fortune...

Used the TE PO-24 Office again, this time for percs and the deep bassline in the background. The open hihats and some other noise comes from the Korg DDM-110 8bit drum machine run through the Waldorf 2-pole filter. The twitchy lead comes from the MFB Nanozwerg and the lysergic line in the back is from the Monotribe... plus a reverberated wood click from the 626, the nice dubby chords that come from the FB-01, a bit of TX81Z noodling and drums from the S20 and S2000 Akai samplers. Badadum, badadum...

Oh, and... ....I FRIGGIN' WANT A YAMAHA MONTAGE!!! :D

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Here's another one I've finished just now: 4T

Take The T-Train :)

I have a thing for reverb-y stuff at the moment. That said, I want an Eventide H9, sounds awesome but sadly costs a fortune...

Used the TE PO-24 Office again, this time for percs and the deep bassline in the background. The open hihats and some other noise comes from the Korg DDM-110 8bit drum machine run through the Waldorf 2-pole filter. The twitchy lead comes from the MFB Nanozwerg and the lysergic line in the back is from the Monotribe... plus a reverberated wood click from the 626, the nice dubby chords that come from the FB-01, a bit of TX81Z noodling and drums from the S20 and S2000 Akai samplers. Badadum, badadum...

Oh, and... ....I FRIGGIN' WANT A YAMAHA MONTAGE!!! :D

Oh man, so good. Love that.

And, yeah, H9 would be sweet. I see the Max version on eBay from time to time for $550 ish, which is a steal if you consider that's the whole enchilada. A Space is nearly that price, and with the H9 you get everything Space, Timeline, and a clutch of other Eventide effects in a compact studio quality box. Want, want, want... Maybe some day.

I just have a BugBrand Spring Tanker for reverb. It sounds great, but the exposed spring tank does pick up some interference so you have to be mindful where you place it. Anywhere near speakers and the feedback just runs away. I love the way it sounds, but it isn't practical in real use. I was thinking of grabbing a used EHX Cathedral, as I've seen them in beautiful shape for about $150. It's no H9, but does some great reverbs for the money and seems to be the go-to for a lot of musicians on a budget.

The Strymon and Eventide boxes sound better and are more flexible, but it's hard to stomach the cost of admission.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Oh man, so good. Love that.

And, yeah, H9 would be sweet. I see the Max version on eBay from time to time for $550 ish, which is a steal if you consider that's the whole enchilada. A Space is nearly that price, and with the H9 you get everything Space, Timeline, and a clutch of other Eventide effects in a compact studio quality box. Want, want, want... Maybe some day.

I just have a BugBrand Spring Tanker for reverb. It sounds great, but the exposed spring tank does pick up some interference so you have to be mindful where you place it. Anywhere near speakers and the feedback just runs away. I love the way it sounds, but it isn't practical in real use. I was thinking of grabbing a used EHX Cathedral, as I've seen them in beautiful shape for about $150. It's no H9, but does some great reverbs for the money and seems to be the go-to for a lot of musicians on a budget.

The Strymon and Eventide boxes sound better and are more flexible, but it's hard to stomach the cost of admission.

Well, yeah, the H9 Max is a good buy considering the cost of the single machines/algorithms its based on but I can't justify spending that much on a fx device. It sounds wonderful, though, I've played around with one at a music store, they had a Nord Lead connected to it and the juicy, musical, out-of-this-world reverbs just blew me away.

I have an Alesis Nanoverb 2 and a DigiTech Studio Quad that provides up to four mono fx lines simultaneously but I use only two simultaneous effects as I want stereo output. Easy to use, lots of different effects, very good delays. Reverbs are okay. For long reverbs I use the Nanoverb 2, its spring reverb and tape echo are excellent.

Stuff like the Nanoverb or Studio Quad can be found cheap on ebay these days, as it is the case with most early/late 90s studio gear. It's amazing what you can get for only a few bucks. For someone like me who still makes music with hardware only but has to cope with a tight budget, being able to buy stuff that once was called high-end for less is like a gift from heaven. I love "recycling" abandoned tech. :)

Speaking of reverb effects, here's an interesting new product by OTO, the BAM Space Generator: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/04/20/oto-machines-bam-space-generator/ . Sounds very nice from what I can tell. OTO are a good company, their Biscuit fx machine still is on my wanted list.

That said, I've watched the Sonic State review of the new Korg Volca FM... well... sounds great and has a lot of very cool features and whatnot but so far it seems to be impossible to use external DX7 editors on it. Korg say that it's 100% sysex-compatible to the original and this seems to be correct as it is possible to transfer DX7 patches to it via sysex dump but for some reason you can't directly edit the parameters with an editor. My original plan was to retire my trusty old DX7 and replace it with a Volca FM with its clean output (the original DX7 is very noisy) and live-tweaking options... hope this problem gets sorted soon. I'd hate it if this thing would become a mere patch player for all those tens of thousands of DX7 sounds that are floating around... don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good stuff available for free but I prefer making my own patches, it's an important part of my creative process, using presets just isn't my thing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Volca FM is fantastic, but there are a few issues with it replacing your trusty DX7. My biggest is the 3 voice limitation. I'm hitting that constantly, and wishing I had 2 or 3 more voices to give me some headroom. You can tweak everything on the Volca itself. Every single parameter can be exposed and edited with the sliders, but it's fidgety and a tiny interface for editing. I have made some great sounds just futzing around though.

The one thing is, I trust Korg. The killer stuff they worked into the MonoTribe before retiring it has convinced me they'll bring more goodies to the Volca FM. It's such a great little box for the $150 cost of admission, and that sequencer is so playable. I'm happy with mine, but a good desktop editor would really be a great addition. Here's hoping they, or some fan, makes one like they did for the FS1R.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, that's the thing though, there already are tons of excellent DX7 editors available, IMO there's no reason to wait for a dedicated Volca FM editor. Yeah, a normal DX7 editor wouldn't be able to handle the unison mode, chorus and some other extras but I could live with that if I could tweak the rest of the parameters.

I've made a lot of patches on a real DX7 and even on a TX81Z directly on the frontend, it's no fun at all but doable. Same goes for the Volca FM, all parameters are there so you basically could get down to the nitty-gritty but apart from simple changes, it's not really convenient in the long run. That's why an editor is a must and I'd prefer using my trusty old DX7 Voicing Module for it over of some fancy-ass thing on PC so here's hope that Korg release an update to open up the Volca FM to existing DX7 editors.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, that's the thing though, there already are tons of excellent DX7 editors available, IMO there's no reason to wait for a dedicated Volca FM editor. Yeah, a normal DX7 editor wouldn't be able to handle the unison mode, chorus and some other extras but I could live with that if I could tweak the rest of the parameters.

I've made a lot of patches on a real DX7 and even on a TX81Z directly on the frontend, it's no fun at all but doable. Same goes for the Volca FM, all parameters are there so you basically could get down to the nitty-gritty but apart from simple changes, it's not really convenient in the long run. That's why an editor is a must and I'd prefer using my trusty old DX7 Voicing Module for it over of some fancy-ass thing on PC so here's hope that Korg release an update to open up the Volca FM to existing DX7 editors.

Agreed. I hope they do as well. They've been pushing the DX7 support, something the Reface can't do, so hopefully they'll keep going down that route and make the Volca really shine. I'll get some Volca FM up soon. Today, just the MonoTribe, I almost had it settled down nicely, but it got a little rowdy after a few minutes. I figured let it ride ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Agreed. I hope they do as well. They've been pushing the DX7 support, something the Reface can't do, so hopefully they'll keep going down that route and make the Volca really shine. I'll get some Volca FM up soon. Today, just the MonoTribe, I almost had it settled down nicely, but it got a little rowdy after a few minutes. I figured let it ride ;)

Got some new info on the issue about the Volca FM not working with existing DX7 editors. Apparently Korg made a mistake when they translated the DX7 MIDI implementation to the Volca. The culprit seems to be the LFO key sync switch which sort of disturbs the original SysEX format of the DX7, at least patch transfer from DX7 to the Volca seems to work when you tinker with the switch a little, maybe this also helps to get it to respond to existing editors.

If it turns out to be a bug, I'm pretty sure it gets ironed out with an update, let's hope for the best.

Oh, and I like your Monotribe sequence, Cortini meets Dark Star :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some Ambient for you guys:

Analog meets digital... here you can hear three of my 4op Yamaha FM synths, the CX5MII/128 (lead), FB-01 (logdrum, routed through Waldorf 2-pole filter) and TX81Z (strings), together with Korg Monotribe (modulated triangle wave) and MFB Nanozwerg (legato basslines with square LFO modulation). Wee bit noisy, but hey.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Some Ambient for you guys:

Analog meets digital... here you can hear three of my 4op Yamaha FM synths, the CX5MII/128 (lead), FB-01 (logdrum, routed through Waldorf 2-pole filter) and TX81Z (strings), together with Korg Monotribe (modulated triangle wave) and MFB Nanozwerg (legato basslines with square LFO modulation). Wee bit noisy, but hey.

That's really cool. It's got a very early 2000s Dntel feel to it. Lots of nice interplay between the instruments.

Almost sounds like a TG-33 in some places... Very vector like :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks.

It started with a bit of noodling around on the CX5MII/128, connected another denoiser to it which doesn't help that much but I love it anyway. All modulation on the Monotribe (LFO rate, cutoff, resonance) and Nanozwerg (cutoff, LFO intensitiy and rate) was done live.

I feel a bit ambient-ish at the moment... let's see where it takes me...