Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I will post my thoughts about the new POs I've got later on, got some chores to do first.

Just this: They're excellent and not just more-of-the-same with new sounds but also new functions. The PO-24 Office has sounds of old office machinery like matrix printers, PC speakers, floppy drives, etc., the PO-20 Arcade comes loaded with 8bit chip sounds and a very cool chord progression option, you can input up to 128 progressions for a single pattern. That and the fill-ins and slightly different insert FX system makes it possible to create complete chiptune tracks on one or two patterns alone, and it's really simple to use. Like the previous POs, they have a very clean and powerful output and a pretty huge sound for such a small device. WELL worth the money if you're into that sort of stuff.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A tribute to Visage:

This is the danger zone, hope the soundcloud copyright algorithm doesn't bite me in the bum! :D

EDIT:

Here you can hear my two new Teenage Engineering pocket operators PO-20 and PO-24 in action again. The chiptune bass of course comes from the Arcade and the Office does the open hihats and some more perc. Kickdrum and claps were sampled and played on the Akai S20, closed hihats come from the Korg Monotribe, the pad has been created on the Yamaha TX81Z, then there's a dark dub-ish chord-like thing I made on the Yamaha FB-01 and a sequence played by the MFB Nanozwerg.

Actually the track was based on a happy accident when I played around with the PO Arcade and eventually ended up with the Fade To Grey chorus chord progression/harmony. Originally I had made one of those chiptune arp twiddeldy-doo things but then accidentally chose the bass instead of the arpeggio and then decided to go with it. I mean, you can't go wrong with Fade To Grey, eh. :)

The PO Arcade is a bit more limited in terms of using its sounds in productions than the Office but as you can hear, it also does a decent job in tracks that aren't chip music. The PO Office on the other hand is very cool, specially for someone who uses lots of percussion and rhythmic noises in his music.

The biggest change for me from the previous POs are the one-shot effects. In the PO Rhythm or Sub, effects can be selected and chained by holding the FX button and chosing one or more of the 16 real-time effects while in the new POs, there are one-shot fx that automatically stop when the current pattern is finished. Other effects can be activated and the corresponding button will light up as long as it's active and of course can be deactivated again. Some effects cannot be used together. The new system brings in some interesting ways of using the effects and is less obscure than the old one where you basically have zero chance of knowing which effects are getting used at the moment but it's also less interactive. For example, with the old POs, you can use a distortion effect and cut it short halfway through a step with a filter effect which results in very dynamic sequences. This sort of does work on the new POs as well but there are less effects that can be used that way.

...and there's the chord/harmony progression thing on the PO Arcade (the Robot has it as well, haven't bought that one yet) which also works as a kind of auto accompany mode like in entertainer keyboards. Now THIS is a new function I really like, it works with the arpeggio sounds, the bass and some lead stuff I believe. The icing on the cake would have been an option which makes it possible to activate the chord progression function for only one or two of the sounds instead of all of them at the same time but you can't have it all I guess. If you don't use the harmony progression function, you can still set the notes for each step by holding WRITE and chosing the notes you want with the left pot.

There are two things I don't like with the POs in general, and that's a) the super-flimsy battery contacts on the back and b) the fact that the rubbery cases which you can buy seperately cost almost as much as the POs themselves.

The battery contacts bend outwards when you change batteries which results in contact problems or even dropouts during use if you aren't careful enough. You have to bend the contacts back to their original position after a battery change which I fear might lead to trouble in the long run. What's more, the foldable stand on the back of the units keeps falling off.

The PO cases look quite nice but I don't really want to pay lotsa money for them. For me, the whole point of the POs is their attractive price you pay for a cleverly engineered product. However, if you buy two or three of them with the corresponding cases on top, you'll end up with about 300+ bucks for what is basically a collection of calculators with lo-fi samples and a (admittedly very good) DAC thrown in for good measure. The thing is that it looks almost imperative to have some sort of casing for them, in their "skeletal" form they're quite vulnerable to ESD problems - walk over a carpet with indoor slippers, grab your PO to make some tunes... bzzzzzt, dead...

Speaking of falling off, that's another (minor) problem with the POs. When you have two cables connected to them, the pull of them is enough to make them fall off the table all the time. That's why I've thought about making a wooden case for them which can hold three POs and makes using them a little more convenient. My workflow when creating a track is almost 100% live and loop-based, meaning that I don't make an A to Z arrangement with lots of automation, basically I make a few tracks of different length in my sequencer and/or directly on the hardware (if it comes with its own sequencer), let all the stuff run in loops and then mute/unmute various parts in the sequencers or on the mixer while doing some live tweaking. Of course this involves a lot of interaction with the devices used in a track which can get tedious if they keep on sliding all over the table all the time if you touch them. This usually is when I wish the POs would be larger, heavier and had proper buttons with more space inbetween them. Currently I'm discussing the issue with a friend of mine (a gifted but sadly very lazy electronics expert) how to build a proper case with buttons and stuff for the POs. Actually that could be turned into a product which I'm sure a lot of PO users would find interesting.

Ah man, I've said it a thousand times already but have to say it again, I wish I would be better at DiY/electronics/circuit design...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, last track until next Monday:

Bit of plink-plonk techno for ya :D

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I see you're keeping the tracks coming. :mr_t:

Sadly, I think I spend too much time trying to figure out what to call a tune.
I did manage to do something new tonight... it may be a little intese:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fantastic track, man, I like it a lot! Love the "scrub" on the 2... good stuff. Crickets chirping... ...not! :D

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
cool thanks! while I was working on it(and after finishing it) I thought to myself "what the heck is this?... i don't think anyone will like it..."
I'll have to experiment some more. :spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
New track: Vaporshake

Techno again. Used my newly-bought Korg DDM-110 8bit drum machine for the first time, routed it through a second dbx 166a compressor and the Waldorf 2-pole filter and it sounds bloody dirty... just the grime I love! :D

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
A friend of mine went digging through a box of old gear and said, "You'll probably want this..." and handed me his genMDM.

genMDM5.jpg

http://little-scale.com/

It's two parts: A little adapter that has a 5-pin MIDI and USB connector, with a little dip on the board to choose between the two, and a Genesis cartridge.

Looks like you plug this little adapter into controller 2 on the Genesis, stick in the genMDM cart into the slot, and you have full MIDI access to the YM2612 in your DAW.

My friend said he bought it a few years ago and never had time to figure it out.

We searched but couldn't find his old Genesis in storage, and mine probably saw the landfill when my dad sold his house, or is God knows where in Florida, but I'm intrigued enough to go retro Genesis shopping to give this thing a try.

Anyone ever seen one of these?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
And Tak, I am 100% interested in seeing what you come up with for the Pocket Operators. I agree, the cases offered from TE are really not at all what I want. They are expense for what they are and I actually think ruin the aesthetic of a great looking piece of gear. Having custom built cases for the POs would be really cool, and something I would definitely be interested in.

Edit: and I just listened to your track with the Arcade and Office. Killer stuff. Sounded fantastic!

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A friend of mine went digging through a box of old gear and said, "You'll probably want this..." and handed me his genMDM.

genMDM5.jpg

http://little-scale.com/

It's two parts: A little adapter that has a 5-pin MIDI and USB connector, with a little dip on the board to choose between the two, and a Genesis cartridge.

Looks like you plug this little adapter into controller 2 on the Genesis, stick in the genMDM cart into the slot, and you have full MIDI access to the YM2612 in your DAW.

My friend said he bought it a few years ago and never had time to figure it out.

We searched but couldn't find his old Genesis in storage, and mine probably saw the landfill when my dad sold his house, or is God knows where in Florida, but I'm intrigued enough to go retro Genesis shopping to give this thing a try.

Anyone ever seen one of these?

I've seen it but have no use for it since I already have five YM26xx-based FM synths, the FB-01, TX81Z, YS100, YS200 and CX5MII/128. :)

Quite useful adaptor, though, since the Genny YM chip can do some things the FM synths cannot, or to be precise, it has some "bugs" that lead to interesting sonic possibilities.

There are quite a few adaptors like that for various consoles, home computers and even handhelds (Gameboy). I have a MSSIAH cart for my C64 that lets you take control over the SID, has MIDI and comes with a nice patch designer and sequencer.

And Tak, I am 100% interested in seeing what you come up with for the Pocket Operators. I agree, the cases offered from TE are really not at all what I want. They are expense for what they are and I actually think ruin the aesthetic of a great looking piece of gear. Having custom built cases for the POs would be really cool, and something I would definitely be interested in.

Edit: and I just listened to your track with the Arcade and Office. Killer stuff. Sounded fantastic!

I've used the new POs on 5 tracks now and I'm loving it. Really cool and great-sounding little machines. Those who call them useless (like many of those "they're for hipsters!"-trolls on youtube) have no clue what they're talking about.

Btw., I post full gearlists for each of my tracks, you will find it in the track info on SoundCloud or YouTube.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
hey doods, I been messing around with this project for awhile, I finally gave up and just threw together what I had....maybe it's the weed... but the jarring transitions between 2 beats that don't really belong together has started to sound cool to me. This is similar to the streets of rage beat but this time uses SF2 on snes, outside of a few sound effects most of it was taken from ryu's ending music.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
When I hear the track, I see a lonely figure standing on top of a hill outside a big city leaning against a sports car and his hair waving in the wind while the credits are rolling by. :)

Nice chip-y tune there, complexz.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
thanks alot! I love when people get a vibe differing from my own but still sounds totally fitting. Most of that vibe really is shoplifted from the original sample, layered totally rearranged as it is, the vibe remained :)

Maybe in a lapse of judgement the other night... I made a impulse purchase of a pro soundcloud subscription. I just felt like it was a step in taking this shit more seriously. I'll let you guys know if it was in anyway worth while later. It was motivation to spruce up my page a little to give people a reason to listen to one track over another.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Made another new track today: Spielzeug.

Used my new Korg DDM-110 drum machine and the PO-24 Office again. Kinda weird electronica, prolly should have used a different kick drum.

I also have a SoundCloud pro account for a while now, it gives you unlimited uploads and lots of extra statistics and stuff. Have to reorganize my tracks in SC one of these days... but hey... I also want to start uploading videos again on YT but it's just so much work.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Picked up a Model 1 Genesis today. The genMDM is up and running in Ableton with no fuss. I'll see if I can't get something decent made by Bunny Day. :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Easter track time!

Into the mystery of the night we go... homeward-bound.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
...and here's track #2 of this week: Maeusekind.

Jiggity-jaggity bleep with a relaxed groove, a nice e-piano-like sound that I made on the Yamaha CX5MII/128 and dirty, dirty drums.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Cool tracks!

I haven't been active lately unfortunately. I'm "in-between" PC's at the moment.

:spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Did I mention that I made another track?

It's new, it's techno and it's dirty: Zum Ilse

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
>BEEP<

Last track before the highway - Let There Be Light

Let it shine on ya.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I am back again with my PC fully operational again. weee!! :spock:

Here is something new I dabbled with today.

p.s. Soundcloud wouldn't let me post anymore tracks for free... so I ended up paying $15 for the unlimited plan. Debating if I'm going to keep it though...

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,

p.s. Soundcloud wouldn't let me post anymore tracks for free... so I ended up paying $15 for the unlimited plan. Debating if I'm going to keep it though...

nice welcome back. I dig the track :) especially the little breakdown on the last half.

I keep seeing intel inside parody decals on cars that were brand new when that ad campaign was irrelevant... Obviously your usage totally makes sense and is dope :) This is for the 2012 ford focus that has a baby inside sticker...

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Good acid track. The 303-ish bassline is based on a square wave, right? Like its sound and the pattern reminds me of Acid Thunder which is always good. :)

I've upgraded to SoundCloud Pro a while ago which costs 9 Euros a month over here. Haven't made much use of the extra statistics functions yet (don't get that much plays anyway), I just want to upload as many tracks as I want. Well... YT is free but it's way less convenient than SC for music tracks... I'm not totally cool with paying a monthly fee for SC, though. Still, all in all it's one of the better upload/cloud services, I've tried others as well (bandcamp, etc.) but they all have some drawbacks and 9€ a month isn't that much for unlimited cloud space so it's okay I guess.