Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
crap I forgot about the pocket operators, well there goes more money :) but I think first, I will save up for a korg minilogue...I think I really need it...

I also created a whole new track when trying to fix a track :)

This one I made with mostly streets of rage 2 sound effects I sampled from my genesis directly, but I couldn't resist throwing in some minibrute.

happy to see the thread alive, sorry for my neglect :)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey, nice tracks, man, like the sounds and arrangement!

The vocal hook of the first one would also make a great base for a happy hardcore track :)

About the Minilogue, I've tested on at a local store, they got three of them in stock and sold two within half an hour but kept the third one as a demo unit. It's a capable machine with lots of interesting stuff to do, the little OLED display with its oscilloscope function is really cool. Sequencer is ace, so is wave shaping of the VCOs. It sounds surprisingly modern but also very oldschool in some settings, the tonal range is quite amazing... ...and all that for around 500 bucks! I won't get one because it doesn't really fit to my current musical activities but you don't have to be a prophet to tell that this thing will sell like hot cakes.

I'm more interested in the Volca DX, it's a three-voice 6op FM synth with patch compatibility to DX7, sounds great and has some nifty realtime controls, that's something for a FM synth, eh.

Korg are on a roll at the moment, thanks to Tatsuya Takahashi and his clever ideas.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Zombie Nation posted a video recently playing around with a PO-20:

My local Guitar Center has some of them. Was thinking about checking them out this weekend.

and yes, cool tracks there complexz. i find that happens to me a lot... start off with one thing, then it turns into something else.

P.S. I've had my Monotribe for some time now but have just played around with it(haven't used it for a track yet). Wondering if I should just sell/trade it for something else :0

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Zombie Nation posted a video recently playing around with a PO-20:

My local Guitar Center has some of them. Was thinking about checking them out this weekend.

and yes, cool tracks there complexz. i find that happens to me a lot... start off with one thing, then it turns into something else.

P.S. I've had my Monotribe for some time now but have just played around with it(haven't used it for a track yet). Wondering if I should just sell/trade it for something else :0

How can you not love the Monotribe? :)

Dunno whether you can stomach some slightly noisy stuff but check out my Volcatribe track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=injdRQi5vhc . It has been made with only a Volca Beats and Monotribe... the lil' black thing is a wonderful piece of equipment in my opinion, some of the things you can do with it aren't as obvious as it seems at first. Hope you have at least OS version 2, it really adds a ton of good stuff to the machine.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Pocket Operators are some of the most easy to dig into, lovely little noise makers on the market. The sequencers on them are so intuitive, and take the X0X thing to the next level. Love the pattern programming that's as simple as just dialing it like pattern 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4 and then pressing play. Brilliant machines, and the chord progressions on the PO-20 are rad.

I have the PO-20 arcade sitting on my desk right now, and its a joy to use. I am going to grab a Robot soon... and luckily the little hipster haven across the street from me, Austere, in DTLA is a Teenage Engineering reseller, so I can just walk across the street and buy them. Talk about being spoiled.

Also, if you guys haven't seen the NAMM demos of the OP-Z yet, you have to check it out. It's a lower cost OP-1, minus a screen, but will hook up to monitors, iPads, etc and connect to a Unity app that will do music synced video synthesis as well. Not to mention, it looks like it retains all of the goodies of the OP-1, and though you lose that beautiful OLED they've made the unit more intuitive and even more portable (no protruding knobs, now!) and the price should be well under an OP-1.

I still think everyone should own an OP-1. It's one of the most unique and easy to sit down and play synths ever made, not to mention its go-anywhere-portability. I just wish it weren't so much money.

I'm a fan of TE.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Made this little something today:

Blue Note

Quick and dirty, or something like that.

I like the POs as well, got the PO-12 and have the PO-20 and 24 on order. They actually sound pretty big, the PO-12 can pump out some serious kicks, really amazing.

The OP-1 is cool, played around with one for a couple of hours and found it very inspiring, IMO it's just a tad bit expensive for what it brings to the table. Still, lovely little thing and very well designed, it's a joy to use and look at.

Not sure about the OP-Z, though, the few vids I've seen about it left me a bit puzzled as to what this thing is meant to be.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Oh, and here's another short mix, I was bored last night and let some new-style elektro records and some old stuff spin: Kann Klappen. Check out the playlist for more info.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
if there is a OP-1 like thing that I can afford, I am definitely interested. I don't need a fancy screen if what I get is functionally the same....infact I'd rather pay less for a downgrade :) having a op-1 in my backpack would be pretty fucking awesome for commuting/downtime at work.

EDIT: okay I realize it has NO screen now

wow, it has a built in takumaji music video maker! I'm impressed... I want one.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
wow, it has a built in takumaji music video maker! I'm impressed... I want one.

Heh, and as usual I will get no royalties :D

The thing with the OP-Z is that it needs a computer to function properly while the OP-1 is more or less self-contained. The computer thing may not be a problem for people who use a current DAW software for recording and sequencing purposes, but for me and my, uhm, classic setup it's probably not that useful.

Please note that I'm talking completely outta my arse here, haven't tested the OP-Z yet, will do so as soon as it's available at my fave music store.

I've read up on the video making/editing thing, quite interesting.

The death of my good old Toshiba laptop and the switch to that Lenovo thing I'm using now has brought in some problems for me in terms of my videos. I really enjoyed making crazy vids by arranging a few animated gifs and some jpegs in Windows Movie Maker on Vista, it was quite crude but very easy to use and phonky enough to give those clips the fekked-up touch I like. Windows Live Movie Maker on Win7 on my spare Lenovo is nothing like that, it's a stinking piece of dumbed-down crap and doesn't even support animated gifs out of the box, you either have to install lotsa add-ons or convert them to some other format... meh... I'm uploading my tracks to SoundCloud almost exclusively now but I really want to get back to making YT vids.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here comes the Sunday track:

Silky Delusions

Made a couple of new patches for the FB-01 and used one of them for the track. The little box is simply amazing, it's only a 4op synth with pure Sine waves for the operators but it has a really punchy and in-yer-face sound that makes up for its shortcomings. It also cannot be programmed on the front panel, you have to use a software editor for it, I use YSEDITOR on Atari ST which is one of the best of its kind IMO. You can get a used FB-01 for like 50 bucks or so which is a steal considering the things you can do with it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's sunday and I'm wearing sunglasses...

As you can see, there's a new option on ng.com to embed the SoundCloud player into posts now!

Usage:

[soundcloud]https://--insert-SoundCloud-track-URL-here--[/soundcloud]

Have fun! :)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
yes! no more boring hyperlinks for me! Thanks alot. I'll have to try to make something in the next few days to properly test it out :)

halzvergaser is really interesting, unpredictable and groovy, I like!

lil loop I posted recently, low on new stuff to post :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
"interesting" is the little brother of utter shite as we say over here but thanks anyway! :D ;)

Nice little loop there. Bit soft and low-volume, though.

Yeah, well, I wasn't really on this planet when I made it... as you can tell from the strange spring-reverb-soaked mix. Ah well, good old Sundays...

Meanwhile, here's another new track for ya:

TechHouse with a bit of grrroove rhythm. Routed the Teenage Engineering PO-12 through the Waldorf 2-pole filter, created 8 tracks and chained them one after another. Kick is on the S20, basses come from the Monotribe and Nanozwerg, plus some of my 8bit samples on Ensoniq Mirage, 626 and of course the FB-01 and TX81Z. Now that I have a hardware sequencer (Yamaha QX5) in my setup again, there are no more sync/timing issues with the PO-12 and other gear (Monotribe, Volcas, etc.). Check out the track info on SoundCloud for more gear info.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
lol well to be clear my intention with the word interesting was definitely good interesting! cool not very traditionally musical sounds that turn into a cool song. I have a tough time stepping out of my box to do stuff like that so I have alot of respect for it:)

I really don't have the vocabulary to describe music, Don't even know what genre most of the stuff I make is.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
lol well to be clear my intention with the word interesting was definitely good interesting! cool not very traditionally musical sounds that turn into a cool song. I have a tough time stepping out of my box to do stuff like that so I have alot of respect for it:)

I really don't have the vocabulary to describe music, Don't even know what genre most of the stuff I make is.

heh, it's okay, I know how you feel, basically I have the same problem. No matter which words you throw at it, it's never going to fully describe what's going on music-wise. Wouldn't be music if it could be described with words, eh. :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Been busy with so much lately that I just barely had the time today to finish a track I'd been working on.... on & off. Not to mention that Street Fighter V hasn't been helping either :eek_2:

There's the "original mix" and the "instrumental".

:multi_co:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cool track. I like the instrumental version better, nice sounds and drops. What did you use for those arcade-style sounds?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
New track:

The fuck is this you ask? I honestly don't know but it'll ruin your speakers if you play it too loud.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A new Sunday, a new track:

Guys, if you like sounds that are a lil' on the edge, you should really, and I mean really check out the Waldorf 2-pole analog filter. I've used it for the last dozen of tracks now and it's just fucking amazing. Absolutely cool box that is well worth its money.

Oh, and my new Teenage Engineering POs (arcade and office) will arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've been busy lately & haven't had a chance to work on anything new yet :(

That 'Electric Dreams" track sounds like some sort of experimental IDM tune. I could see them playing it on Soma FM. The other track is a pretty cool as well.

It may be a while before I can buy any new equipment... been trying to finish another PC build I have going here, as well as paying off some debt. que sera sera!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Ok... I stayed in today and ended up making this:

"black knight" is in reference to the 'black knight satellite'. in case anyone cares to look that up
:spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Aaaaand here comes a new track:

Used my new Teenage Engineering PO-24 Office (and the PO-12) on it, veeery nice.

Dark and moody... dancing in the forest at midnight with goosebumps all over your body...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
That turned out really nice. I'm very tempted to pick up some of those T.E. doo dads now :buttrock: