Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Indeed! I'm interested in acquiring some of those vintage synth's that make those eerie Halloween'ish sounds. Any of you know off hand any in particular that stand out? What sort of synths did they use for those old Dario Argento / George Romero films?

btw on that song you posted, with the right beat it could also sound like something from a 80's horror/sci fi film

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
nightbreed is cool Cyclo! the vocal samples really make a great atmosphere. Very creepy. Now I wanna rip you off and do a creepy song. We all seem to post songs pretty regularly so it may not be ridiculous to propose we all try to contribute a horror/halloween tone track? I'd like to hear Takumaji's take on creepy with awesome old synth gear, but he's probably got 10 tracks up his sleeve already :)

Some of my "creepy" tracks:

No Evil

Waltz Of The Banshee

Old Order

Dieses Buch

The first one also comes with a YT vid with some pics and scenes of horror movies. The last one, Dieses Buch, has been made in 1999 as a background ambience track for an exhibition.

I'm interested in acquiring some of those vintage synth's that make those eerie Halloween'ish sounds. Any of you know off hand any in particular that stand out? What sort of synths did they use for those old Dario Argento / George Romero films?

Some synths used back in the day by people like Romero or Carpenter include:

Crumar Bit 99
Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Sequential Circuits Prophet VS
Akai AX80
Korg MS-20
Elka Synthex
Teisco/Kawai SX-240

etc. :)

However, I wouldn't want to buy such old polys, you have to be quite tech-savvy to keep them in good shape. Get a FB-01 or TX81Z by Yamaha and you'll be making eerie sounds in no time that will put Carpenter to shame. :)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
true it could, I love that vibe.

I don't know any specifics but I find I get that 80's vibe from like any old synth drowning in delay :) maybe that FM synth in ableton would work on the short term?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I pulled away from the Halloween theme for a bit and made a new techno(detroit'ish) track. In case you're wondering... Takkyu Ishino has been one of my fav techno artists for some time now.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Here's another new track for you lads to enjoy(or not)

EDIT: Track was originally called 'Samhain Waltz'. Was referring to the actual waltz(dance) itself, not the music. To avoid confusion, renamed track to 'Samhain Dance'.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Not a Waltz but I like it. :)

Damn man, where's my inspiration gone...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Not a Waltz but I like it. :)

Damn man, where's my inspiration gone...

Sometimes not listening to something for awhile helps. Also listening to old tracks you love will help inspire. Maybe try doing a remix/re-interpretation of a track you like?

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Decided to do a remix of the 'Halloween Theme' song from the movie.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
ok.. one of you needs to make a halloween track today *cough* Tak *cough*

go go go!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I like the remix, very nice, man. Good boomy kick and buildup, it catches the eerie atmosphere of the original. I will definitely use that in a mix some day.

I really wanted to make a new Halloween track but... but... I couldn't.

Meanwhile, here's another mix I made on October 3rd at the 40th birthday of some girl I know. I wasn't really booked as a DJ that night, just hung out there trying to have fun. However, the original DJ felt sick all of a sudden and locked himself into the toilet for an hour or so... so I decided to hijack his deck and do a lil' mix myself with a digital sampling mixer that I didn't know and two 1210s. Took me a while to get to grips with it but from then on it was smooth sailing... they wanted to hear some classics and hands-in-the-air stuff but I managed to sneak it some deeper tracks as well... but listen for yourself:

Lightman - October 3rd 2015 40th hijack mix

The original DJ was really mad at me... I got thrown out after about an hour or so. People were dancing their butts off and still no pay for ol' Tak. :(

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You take deeply rooted commercial mock-ups, tie them up with some very introverted moments and it still... makes sense. An exploration of a pop momentum's dark side? Well, the last time I heard such a bravado succeeding was Holden's At The Controls. Kudos! I really liked it, how the old but gold Hood minimalism pacified this obnoxious voice of Williams... wouldn't mind, if some Romanthony took his place the next time, though ;).

Thanks for sharing.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks.

The sampling mixing desk gave me a hard time at first, gets better about 10 mins into the mix, though. For example, if you sample an 8-bar take from a record on one side, the mixer automatically replays the segment and you can control its speed with the usual controls. However, the record you just sampled from keeps on spinning so if you want to return to it, you have to mix back into it AND make sure you get the speed right on the other deck... that's really some work and a half... and I don't think it's the proper way to use these mixers, sadly I couldn't ask Mr puking-his-guts-out-on-the-shitter DJ... ah well.

The Get Lucky segment was a request by the host that I couldn't ignore... came out quit Mickey Mousey as expected but she obviously didn't mind. Then I found Rhythm Of Vision in pukey DJ's box and thought it couldn't hurt to get that sugary stuff out of ppls' ears again. :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Get Lucky segment was a request by the host that I couldn't ignore...

Hey, you delivered. When I had my 40th, there was no decks, there was no DJ, so I put in Let's All Make Mistakes. Long story short, instead of dancing their butts off, people were complaining and then it was back to let's all not make this mistake ever again, finally the K&D Sessions saved the day. But... it was worth it: Shake what yo mama gav'ya, I said shake it ;).

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
a new track for you lads...

it is considerably "different" from the original song(with the same title). only thing that's the same(sort of) are the lyrics.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
hello lads?... :spock:

finished another track. hope you like some bass with your acid!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
and here's another under the 'Altern8 Frequen-C' alias:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Thread's dead... but here's a new track in case anyone's interested.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I have some catching up to do as far as listening. But I have been lurking and will contribute again. Most of my time in the lab lately hasn't resulted in anything beyond a few loops:(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Greetings from Modular Land:

https://soundcloud.com/lagduf/sine-waves-and-square-drum

Patch I'm currently "working" on on my modular.

Really liked how this turned out.

Most of the stuff I've put up on my soundcloud I could live without (or were experiments using particular modules or ideas), but this one I really dig.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
one of my fav artists recently made a remake of the Don Pachi theme song.

D'Marc Cantu - Don Pachi

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Most of the stuff I've put up on my soundcloud I could live without (or were experiments using particular modules or ideas), ...

I disagree, Forest Village is more than just a sketch, it's almost a finished loop of great video game music. Excellent!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I disagree, Forest Village is more than just a sketch, it's almost a finished loop of great video game music. Excellent!

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I quite like that track as well. Definitely Zelda inspired :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Of course I dig your other tracks of the Clock Divided series, too, it's a matter of purpose though. They would make great tools to create a full length track, but in their present form, they're just loose parts of an unfinished whole. Video game music on the other hand has it's own set of rules and what could only be considered a sketch within the realms of club music in general, is often a finished piece for a game in its classic form. I hope you'll explore that direction of your music further & ...thanks for sharing ;).

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ohhhh cool sounds lagduf, awesome looking setup.

I just got myself a SQ-1 too! I don't have a modular but it's a fun way to play with the minibrute!