Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I dunno Tak... You seem to do a good job consistently. Where as I'll do something under 'Cylotron' & think "cool!". Then I'll get no likes and/or hardly any plays. Yet 'Altern8 Frequen-C' will get more attention.

Most of my stuff doesn't get a lot of plays either, except for a few tracks here and there. That's cool though, for years I released tracks on Ray Gun and Indulge and my label boss Oliver Kapp only accepted Detroit-style techno and the occasional oldschool electro track, now I can do what I want and just follow my inspiration when I'm in the studio... and it's not that my old releases on vinyl and CD were highly successful, we sold a couple of thousand records over a period of 8 years and that was that.

About your tracks, well, four of them (Disconnected (Original Mix), I Wanna Be (DnB Remix), Insects and Untitled) are in my DJ rotation list and I already played them on various occasions, they're really good and people always get off on them. It's all about the context and how you present them. The world of music has changed a lot during the last 30 years but there's one thing that hasn't changed: If you want to get somewhere in terms of public recognition, you need to promote your stuff. We did that a lot in the old days when we released various records and even back then, it was difficult to get people interested because there simply was too much good stuff coming out. Fast-forward to today, things got even worse promotion-wise. Millions of people of all walks of life make music and release it via SoundCloud, YouTube, Bandcamp, etc., but of course getting it out in the open alone is not enough, it's a lot of work to make people take notice and create a fanbase, specially if you aren't fixed to just one or two styles of music. People want to label things and prefer music and musicians that are predictable (even though they would never openly admit it), many of them feel overwhelmed if you release a techno track today and some ambient drone thing tomorrow or otherwise do not meet their expectations of how "their" music should sound like.

I've been making music for almost all my life now with traditional instruments or electronic gear, it's part of my soul and I won't stop anytime soon (the occasional composer's block notwithstanding) just because I don't get much clicks/likes/plays. We both are a more or less insignificant part of the music industry but sure as hell no insignificant part of music as a whole.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
3 of those I spent a good amount of time making. 'Untitled' was a bit of a rush job. Didn't have much free time & wanted to do/post something new. Once I finished that one I thought "oh this is terrible!" but released it anyway. I think I need to not 'think' so much and stop stressing out about time.

You know though, it has no likes... but a track I love & listen to regularly is Archipelago Cosmos(under Altern8 Frequen-C)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fresh from my footie-infused mind comes Match Day...

Kick that ball, guys.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just bought a SICK Eurorack Digital Reverb Module. Got an insane deal on it. Lots of crazy deals on forums/facebook. I can't fucking wait to make drums from outerspace.

I moved my Music gear at my place to a proper setup (was on the kitchen table!) but it's unfortunately away from a computer so I'm at a loss on how to record. I guess I could get a cheap laptop? I was only recording with Audacity anyway.

Midi Software Sequencer Question:

Are there any really "weird" midi note sequencers out there? Ones that are more like games? Think like a MIDI version of Electro-Plankton or a MIDI version of the "games" found on the Pittsburgh Modular Game System.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cool new tracks, Cylo. First time I heard the "something for your mind" sample in almost two decades! The Realm would have been a super smash hit in the early 90s, really great.

Duf, have you tried algorithmic sequencing? Take a look here (just one example): http://www.algoart.com/ .

As for me, I'm rebuilding parts of my studio again, time for another relaunch. I was thinking of buying a Volca FM but now I'm saving up for a Make Noise 0-Coast synth, I really dig the concept and sound.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Digital Reverb is what was missing in my life that I didn't know was missing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Digital Reverb is what was missing in my life that I didn't know was missing.

A good reverb and delay are the two tools you can't really live without :) So many possibilities just fucking with time and dirt.

The Erbe Verb would likely be my first choice in a module if I ever went down the Euro-rack-rabbit-hole. That or one of the classic springs. I guess technically I have a euro reverb in the BugBrand Spring Tanker, but I have that in an effects rack with a Crossover Filter and PT Delay. That little row gets used with every mono-thing-I-can-feed-it.

I also have a couple BugCrushers that need to be built. Maybe this week, since I have some time off :) Seeing your build stuff on Facebook definitely inspires me to get more hands on with my builds and actually put together the couple kits I'm sitting on waiting for a good day to do them.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I paid $300 for the Erbe Verb. It retails for $489. That's a steal. Did I mention I found a 100 dollar bill 2 weeks ago? Couple great synth sales groups on Facebook.

Yeah. I decided to go whole hog on the reverb. The modulation capability is nuts. Time for me to get serious and buy those envelopes and other "utility" modules I need.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Had some free time yesterday so threw this together. I realize it's rather short... figure I'll do an 'extended' version sometime.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I made an 'extended' version of that Mind Games track(haven't posted it anywhere yet though)....

Also threw this together this evening.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Good stuff people. This is still one of my favorite threads on the site.

I just added a Make Noise Function to my Eurorack. It's a complex envelope generator where you have voltage control of the rise and fall times of the envelope.

So far experimenting with using it in cycling mode as a slow LFO and then modulating the fall time so that fall increases in effect creating a clock that speeds and slows down and then sending that to my sequencer. Good stuff. Haven't even scratched the surface.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm on another writer's block thing but made this mix a few days ago:

Weird style-mix of 30 years of electronic grooves. 'N STUFF.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A new mix, more moody and technoid this time:

Check out the extended SoundCloud info for the track list.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some more mixing - Midnight Session #4: Grin And Bear It ->

It's, uhm... a bit pop-style bang-bang but what can you do.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
it's 2:25am and i am sitting here petting my kitty cat.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sorry for being a bit absent, I'm in a strange mixing streak, will get back to you guys' tracks soon.

Can't help it, dudes...

Here is Midnight Session #5: 11, it's an entry/demo for a gig at the opening night of a fancy new local club called 11.

What ya think?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
New track (after a bit of a hiatus): Monomagic.

Btw., my entry for the opening night at that new club got rejected, they didn't like my choice of tracks and the, quote, "raw edges". :D