Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yo... this is... Troublephonk -

A slow-mo 90 bpm funkee electro kinda piece. Undusted my Volca Beats for this track, damn, it's noisy but fun to use. I made heavy use of the stutter function. The lysergic bassline comes from the Monotribe and the wobbly bass from the Nanozwerg. Then there's the sustained WOOOOOMMMM from the CX5MII/128 and some bibble-bobble lead sound thing coming from the FB-01.

Forgot to adjust the release of my denoiser so it not only sounds phonky but is kinda... fuunkay.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Guys, PLEASE watch this:

I almost died laughing, abso-fucking-lutely brilliant! :lolz::lol::multi_co:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yo... this is... Troublephonk -

A slow-mo 90 bpm funkee electro kinda piece. Undusted my Volca Beats for this track, damn, it's noisy but fun to use. I made heavy use of the stutter function. The lysergic bassline comes from the Monotribe and the wobbly bass from the Nanozwerg. Then there's the sustained WOOOOOMMMM from the CX5MII/128 and some bibble-bobble lead sound thing coming from the FB-01.

Forgot to adjust the release of my denoiser so it not only sounds phonky but is kinda... fuunkay.

Love how smooth you made that MonoTribe sound. I am not familiar with the Nanozwerg. I love the MFB drums, but never really paid his synths any mind. That box sounds great. If I see one cheap on the used market I may have to snag one to mess around with.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Love how smooth you made that MonoTribe sound. I am not familiar with the Nanozwerg. I love the MFB drums, but never really paid his synths any mind. That box sounds great. If I see one cheap on the used market I may have to snag one to mess around with.

I constructed the Monotribe bassline by entering one note after another in Flux mode to give it a swing which normally isn't possible (a real shame). The OSC is set to triangle waveform, resonance has been increased to almost self-oscillation and the cutoff is about 40% open and gets modulated by the LFO with sawtooth waveform set to slow mode, low rate and about a quarter intensity. Cutoff, LFO rate and int get tweaked live during the track but only slightly not to spoil the groove.

Yeah, the little Nanozwerg is great, isn't it. When I got it I made this demo piece for it that I uploaded to YT:

Not the best audio quality and the song is a bit whacky but it demonstrates the versatility of the synth quite well I think, it can do more than just basses, even though it's very good at that.

The machine can be a real beast, envelope is tight and the sub osc lets your walls shake, too bad it can't be detuned to the main OSC. The filter is a multimode version with low/band/high/comb and of course self-oscillates like hell. The filter also has a frequency shaping option which is a rare thing in small devices like that. LFO is neatly implemented with a one-shot option and several waveforms and pitch and cutoff destinations and can be driven wayyyyy up into audio range (even more so if you trigger it via LFO CV IN where the LFO actually becomes a VCO and thus a second voice), then there's pulsewidth mod, white noise for the sub, it has several CV ins and outs (vco/vca/vcf/lfo in), key/filter tracking, it has a builtin sequencer with three fixed sequences (for making sounds without keyboard connected to it) and a fourth sequence that keeps the VCA open in order to use the Nano as a filterbox via Audio In.

In short, a capable little synth but make sure to test it first before buying, looks tiny but has a monster sound that can get gnarly quite quickly. It's the axe-wielding angry dwarf that loves to hack Orcs to pieces of the synth world, if you will, and that's why I love it so much! :D

Shame about the noise, though. I didn't notice that my denoiser had the wrong settings until I had the track recorded and my gear already switch off. As I do one-shots and don't save anything except for the Notator sequences and of course the track itself in single-track recording mode, if the machines are switched off, it's gone. Tomorrow will be a new day.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
This is not spam, it's Metog Gotem -

Did not forget to adjust my denoiser this time. Took my 606 out of the closet for this track, had some sync issues with it with Notator but putting the Yamaha QX5 sequencer into the MIDI chain as a slave and connecting the MIDI-to-dinsync interface with the 606 to it solves the problem.

So... techno, dob-dob-dob-screetch-dob-dob, enjoy... ...if you can.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Really enjoying your new track on my lunch break right now. Not sure when I'll have something new... we're short handed at work currently. Which means I'm working more :(
I started working on something new before bed last night. It's nowhere near finished & currently in the "what the hell is this" stage.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
alright.. it was slow at work today & I got to leave early (wooo!)

so I threw this together:

did you guys take your medicine today? :spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've taken mine now. Tastes so sweet! :D

Good track, nice big beat/slow d'nb-style with 909, good bottom-end. I like the voice samples and the shuffled loop, that and the "rave-signal" tones, reminds me of some early 90s cellar parties we did in an underground car park. Always good fun.

Where did you take the voice samples from? I usually browse YT until I find a vid with lots of talk and then randomly cut out some parts of the babble and arrange it rhythmically... at least that is what I'm doing at the moment to gather some material for a new track.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've collected all kinds of sound samples over the years. These particular voice samples I had downloaded in the late 90's. Was stuff I had burned to cd-r back then & kept all this time(luckily I rarely touched the cd-r's since so most of them still work today). Who'd of thought I'd actually ever do anything with them :mr_t:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sometimes it pays to keep certain stuff, eh. Man, I wish some of my old CD-Rs that I made when I bought my Yamaha CDR-100 burner would still work.

Oh, and I've found a ton of old reel-to-reel tapes from my father. On one of them from 1973, you can hear my sister and me fooling around with my father who reads some Grimm's fairy tales to us... almost brought a tear to my eye. I going to sample some of that stuff and use it in a new track. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here comes plink plonk, here comes Klarer Fall -

Three little iron atoms decide that being atoms sucks, kick away their electrons and form a band. This is the first single of their debut album K-47, to be released very soon.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Why don't you guys post pictures of your music battlestations? I think I'm not alone in daydreaming over gear and other people's setups.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Why don't you guys post pictures of your music battlestations? I think I'm not alone in daydreaming over gear and other people's setups.

Mine changes, depending on what I'm feeling like messing with, but the few tracks I've uploaded here have been through this setup.

monotribe_and_bugs.jpg

I've been really digging just the minimal setup these days. I have a few nice pieces of gear, but sometimes just sitting down with a simple setup is way more rewarding.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
And here's that setup in action.

Monotribe is just looping the same pattern while minor tweaks are made to the VCF and LFO to adjust pitch. The BugBrand Crossover Filter is what mangles things the most, and allows me to change the kicks to toms and really mutate the Monotribe throughout the track. :D

Love this setup. I have thought of changing things up a bit, maybe buying a cheap Electribe 2 to do the same thing but with a lot more synth engines... but truth be told, there's a lot to be done with the super simple Monotribe as is.

I still need to do some recordings with the Volca FM. I'm still feeling it out, but I just prefer the ribbon on the Monotribe to the upgraded one on the Volcas... Korg really nailed it with the Monotribe, and makes me really pine for an MS20 Workstation.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I would take a picture but all you'd see is a 42" 4k screen, a fancy open frame pc with a gtx titan x showing & a ddj-sx taking up a lot of room on my desk. 99.9% of what I use is Ableton Live w/ a ton of VST's & lots of audio samples(in .wav)

I do have an Akai Rhythm Wolf & a Monotribe.. but I've only tinkered with them here & there. Would love to sell/trade them and get a Vocoder ::hint~hint::

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay, here are updated pics of my little studio. I posted some a while ago but I change parts of my setup around a lot so it always looks a little different. The pics you see were taken after I was finished with my latest track.

This is my command post, so to speak. On the right is my line mixer, a Mackie CR1604 that runs on 110V, it's a made in USA version. To the left of the mixer is a Yamaha QX5 sequencer with a Korg Monotribe and MFB Nanozwerg on top of it. Left of it is a Waldorf 2-pole filter with a Teenage Engineering PO-24 Office beneath it. Above the Waldorf you see two 8x Yamaha YME8 MIDI expanders (THRU boxes) that get their clock from the master sequencer (Notator on Atari ST). Further to the left you see a Korg Volca Beats and a Yamaha FB-01 with a Roland TR-626 on top. There also are my Tannoy studio speakers and on the floor you see my infamous ghetto boom box amp with cardboard top (lost the case a long time ago). It's from Mitsubishi and not very powerful but sounds okay. Used it a lot for small gigs.
studio01.jpg

This is my rack with various modules. From top to bottom: DigiTech Studio Quad multieffects processor, Akai S2000 sampler, Yamaha TX81Z synthesizer, dbx 166a compressor/expander, Behringer SNR2000 denoiser. On the bottom you see a Akai S20 desktop sampler and to the left of the rack stands a Alesis Nanoverb 2 effects processor. Both effects processors are connected to the sends and returns of the mixer.
studio02.jpg

Here's my Ensoniq Mirage and a cupboard with various stuff, mainly 2DD floppy disks (needed for the Ataris and Mirage), a crappy old microphone, two more Teenage Engineering POs (Rhythm and Arcade), Korg Monotron and Monotron Duo, a Roland TR-606 that waits for its next assignment and a Kawai K1m desktop synth. To the right is a stack of backup units of the dbx 166a, Behringer SNR2000 and Behringer Ultrafex II which is a psycho-acoustics processor that I used to use a lot. There also is a Quasimidi Technox in need of repair and on the bottom of the stack you see a Hohner Automatic Rhythm Player from the late 60s/early 70s. I got it from my father in law who used to tour with a local swing big band, it was part of his home setup. Very cool CR-78-esque sounds. The bag with the silly ET picture on it contains a Samsung tablet.
studio03.jpg

Here you see a shot of the desk behind my command post with a Yamaha CX5MII/128 MSX computer with a builtin 4op FM synth that I use for creating sounds and making patches on the DX7 (currently in repair), a Philips PMC 100 mini FM synth/arranger keyboard with a builtin cassette recorder that I use for storing patches I made on the CX5MII/128 and an Atari ST-F for creating patches on the Yamaha FB-01 and TX81Z and running various tools like analog sequencer software, algorithmic sequencers, etc. On the bottom is various DJ gear, a Behringer DX-100 mixer and a cheap McCrypt pitchable dual CD player.
studio04.jpg

This is my master sequencer section with an Atari ST-E with 4MB RAM running Notator SL 3.21. Below you see a Yamaha YS100 FM synth that I use as a master keyboard with a Yamaha YMM2 MIDI merge box on top of it. On the right to the Atari you can see a Mac Mini that I use for recording with Reaper.
studio06.jpg

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I don't have a cool studio...

but I have a new track:

in case you're wondering where I got that audio clip from, here you go

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I need some monitor speakers for my Modular. But not sure what I need to be looking at.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You can get some nice old JBL monitors for a great price

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Powered? Linksssss?

I have a pair of hand me down Tannoys that sound great, but are really overkill for most applications. Check for studio monitors on your local Craigslist. Suckers are heavy, so shipping is going to be about the same or more of any used monitors you'll find ;)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Also, I'm done buying new gear for a good long while. Ugh, my office is overflowing with noise makers. Too many good deals, but having too much stuff just stifles my wanting to use them. That's probably why so much used gear is in such good shape...

Oh well, this thread inspired me. Going to put away a bunch, sell some, and main the TG33, the Machinedrum, and a handful of other machines for a while. Keep it light and keep me more focused on creating, instead of consuming gear.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I take it something happened to the database last night? I've noticed missing posts over multiple threads