NEO GEO FPGA based Board Replacement Blog!!! - Not sure if this is already here

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yeah - interesting projects. Wish he would post more frequent updates though.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Pretty interesting project. I know Mikejmoffitt on these forums has a similar project in the works.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
This is a great project, I just wonder if SegaSammy/SNK/Obama/Megatron or whoever owns the rights to the hardware design won't try to stop them. I know that the designs of the NES expired a couple of years ago, which explains the flood of 3rd party nes clones, I wonder if the mvs/aes design is about to expire..

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
This is a great project, I just wonder if SegaSammy/SNK/Obama/Megatron or whoever owns the rights to the hardware design won't try to stop them. I know that the designs of the NES expired a couple of years ago, which explains the flood of 3rd party nes clones, I wonder if the mvs/aes design is about to expire..

I'm not sure what it takes to avoid issues with rights to the design... but I feel that maybe the way it is advertised should help prevent any issues. For instance, say the guy developing this project creates a thread stating that he has NeoGeo boards that output HDMI (and does not sell these on a site like.. Stoneagegamer.com).. Like more of a "personal sale".. I feel that it might all be ok

Either way, I'm excited. And hopefully this time it's being output at just about 60Hz (59.94 or whatever NTSC's can do). Maybe there will be an option to output PAL frequencies as well!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I guess I didn't realize it was a complete system that he was making. I thought it was going to be another graphics scaler based on the FPGA. Talk about ambitious.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I hope this takes off. "Gamer grade" FPGA reimplementation of systems made a lot of progress these past two years with the MiST, Arcade Replay, and associated VHDL projects.

I'm not sure if these two boards can handle Neo geo architecture directly though. The MiST has only one RAM bus and multiplexing access in VHDL is tricky as far as I know. But a dedicated board wouldn't have those issues (more expensive from needing more parts of course).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The days of owning multiple working boards and a dead board or two for parts, are going. I'd definitely be interested in one of these thingys!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
no real news on the blog :P