[sorted out] This jamma snes is grinding my gears....

MuppeT

War Room Troll
So I sold my personal to Electricgrave... and had to make a new one for me-self.
This one is freakin' grinding my gears as there is something that I can't figure out and that pisses me off immensely.

So the thing is that when I use the joystick on the arcade cab the contrast on the screen changes ever so slightly. Also the detail on the characters switches. :eek: I figured out it is like 3 or 4 modes. Lets say I go left .. the screen dims a little, left again .. dims but the details get better , left it gets little brighter , left... aaaand we are back to how it looked in the first place.
It happens only when I use the joystick.. button presets don't affect it.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
That's a weird behavior.

Does it does the same on 2P?
Are you sure there are no unvoluntary bridgings and stuff?

Not that I'm really into it, I did a Jammified Mega Drive. No Snes tho.
I'd check if there something on the directions, touching either the sync/RGB lines.
But even so, I don't have a clue.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I made a 4 player harness for someone's Wrestlemania PCB and his does something similar, when he moves the stick the screen gets weird.

What cab is this on?

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I'd check if there something on the directions, touching either the sync/RGB lines.

Nothing touches. I took my time with this one as I wanted it to be extremely clean.

Oh muppets, sorry bud, I hope you find a fix for it.

;) will figure it out ... eventually ... hopefully

How are you amping the video?

With Broken's amp.

I made a 4 player harness for someone's Wrestlemania PCB and his does something similar, when he moves the stick the screen gets weird.

What cab is this on?

Super Neo 29. Never had such issues with couple of previous Jamma SNES builds. :scratch:

What is really frustrating me is that I can't figure what is the correlation between the joystick and the freaking video. Only thing that I can think about is that I bridged the video ground on the jamma harness to the ground on the harness itself and not to the motherboard... but that is how I always make it and never had such issues. I will try to work around that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Isolate the ground the joystick uses from the video ground, see if that fixes it, if not it eliminates a possibility.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Sorted it out.

Ok .. so what I did is moved the video ground to the other side of the jamma board and now everything is all good. I guess the grounds where somehow interfering ... keep in mind for future - don't ground the controllers and the video on the same side of the jamma board... go figure :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sorted it out.

Ok .. so what I did is moved the video ground to the other side of the jamma board and now everything is all good. I guess the grounds where somehow interfering ... keep in mind for future - don't ground the controllers and the video on the same side of the jamma board... go figure :)

Where exactly did you move the video ground? All my grounds are usually connected.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Where exactly did you move the video ground? All my grounds are usually connected.

It was bridged to position 1 with the 2 controllers grounded there ... and I just moved it to position 2 .

WP_20150623_001.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I swear to god I was gonna make that suggestion 'cause I figured maybe you grouped the ground for the sticks along with the grounds for the video. I'm not lying man, I was but I felt maybe I'd be wrong and mess you up. Glad you sorted it out. Can you believe I still haven't tried that SNES, today is my day off so, today is the day!

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I swear to god I was gonna make that suggestion 'cause I figured maybe you grouped the ground for the sticks along with the grounds for the video. I'm not lying man, I was but I felt maybe I'd be wrong and mess you up. Glad you sorted it out. Can you believe I still haven't tried that SNES, today is my day off so, today is the day!

haha... well it was something quite weird indeed. I myself was thinking about it ..but dismissed it. Only when I made sure everything else was in order this had to be it... even changed the amp as I thought it was defective.