What board revision is my AES? Can I improve RGB?

rodolfocm

Another Striker
I recently found information about different board revisions having different RGB output quality and that you can improve them.
I opened my AES but wasn't 100% sure about what board revision it is. So could someone help me out? It makes me believe is either first generation or first revision. Here's the pic:
neogeoaes.jpg

I'm using the Jamma Nation X tutorials to see what correction should be made on my board (http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html). For both first generation or revision, seems like the fix is the same (replacing caps and resistors). Question is: where are these resistors? Is there a picture guide anywhere?

Thanks a lot for any help provided!

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It's an early revision AES - rev 1. There are 6 x 100uF capacitors next to the power and video inputs, ignore the left most cap and replace the other 5.

They will be marked 100uF, swap them out for 470uF caps and you should get a better picture. I had to do the same thing on my rev 1 AES - I was getting wavy lines at the sides of the picture previously and shadowing on white / black bits, eg. on Neo Geo title screen etc.

I measured mine after removing them, they had dropped to between 20 and 40uF, so they were shot.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The revision you have is what I refer to as a 3-2 and the version without the daughterboard would be a 3-1. That way it just stays within the fashion that SNK did with the 3-X correspondence.

Spocky

n00b
The revision you have is what I refer to as a 3-2 and the version without the daughterboard would be a 3-1. That way it just stays within the fashion that SNK did with the 3-X correspondence.

Offtopic: Make it sense to optimize RGB at revision 3-1 (motherboard without daughterboard?

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Thanks a lot everyone!
So i should replace all 100 uf caps for 470 ones, right? The one on the leftmost isnt 100 uf or just doesnt need to be replaced? Also, should i replace the resistors or theres no gain from doing so?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks a lot everyone!
So i should replace all 100 uf caps for 470 ones, right? The one on the leftmost isnt 100 uf or just doesnt need to be replaced? Also, should i replace the resistors or theres no gain from doing so?

I do not think resistors are worth it, they do not seem to degrade noticeably over time.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
LOL, I see now. So SNK started at 3.x? I wonder what 1.0 and 2.0 looked like. Kind of reminds me of that bit in Alien Ressurection with the 'mutated ripleys' in glass cylinders. There must be 2 boxes somewhere with scary looking PCB's in them, marked up 1 and 2 =)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
LOL, I see now. So SNK started at 3.x? I wonder what 1.0 and 2.0 looked like. Kind of reminds me of that bit in Alien Ressurection with the 'mutated ripleys' in glass cylinders. There must be 2 boxes somewhere with scary looking PCB's in them, marked up 1 and 2 =)

I always wondered about that as well. Either it being that the 1st Gen is 1 and 1st revision is 2 then it goes to 3-3. So either they started at 3-1 or the real 3-1 and 3-2 were completely failed designs before they settled on 3-3's.