Neo Geo X

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I always had a Shady feeling about Tommo. There just always seemed to be deception in the shadows. I'd like to read all the dirt on what their true intentions and expectations were going to be. Seems like they saw an opportunity for quick cash and exploited it. But I recall that SNK was on board at first. The details of what happened to change their minds would be very interesting...

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
I always had a Shady feeling about Tommo. There just always seemed to be deception in the shadows. I'd like to read all the dirt on what their true intentions and expectations were going to be. Seems like they saw an opportunity for quick cash and exploited it. But I recall that SNK was on board at first. The details of what happened to change their minds would be very interesting...

Yes it was a really weird situation where everything just kind of imploded and then radio silence.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I think SNK just saw the people's reaction to the product quality, understood that in fact it was shit and then bailed on the deal to not affect the company image anymore? just a wild guess.

Regards.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Then there was that whole joystick patent conflict. If I remember right, the internals of the NGX sticks used the same drivers, and possibly some of the same parts as SNK's own Neo stick for the PS3, which is exactly why the NGX stick plugs into the PS3 and works so cleanly. Only they did so without permission, so, stolen. Just like the emulator that runs the games.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think SNK just saw the people's reaction to the product quality, understood that in fact it was shit and then bailed on the deal to not affect the company image anymore? just a wild guess.

Regards.

That sounds about right...the Neo Geo X resembles a Chinese knock off of a popular system. Ive never used one in person but the impression ive gotten is they look high quality but closer observation shows they are very cheap feeling. The best thing about it seems to be the controller which would probably work well for emulators if it works on the PS3.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
That sounds about right...the Neo Geo X resembles a Chinese knock off of a popular system. Ive never used one in person but the impression ive gotten is they look high quality but closer observation shows they are very cheap feeling. The best thing about it seems to be the controller which would probably work well for emulators if it works on the PS3.

So as a newb like myself, my initial impression was that it wasn't unplayable and seemed ok at first, but as soon as you compare it to a real Neo Geo AES, then you realize there's something wrong. I think it was made good enough to fool the uninitiated but only if they'd never seen how any of the games are supposed to look and sound.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This is probably the best thread for this, the others would be necro bumps, but there's a seller on EBay "bestsku" selling new Neo Geo X systems (who cares) and "used" controllers for $40 shipped. It sounds like the used controllers are just unboxed new controllers. I ordered one to mod for use with my Omega, so if anyone is looking for a deal on a NGX stick, that's the place to go. They've also got new Saturn virtua sticks for $20.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I also bought one of those extra arcade sticks from that Bestsku dude. Seems to be the cheapest one I could find. Those controllers aren't so bad. Side by side with the real AES stick it is a bit lighter but other than that pretty similar.

madman

I also bought one of those extra arcade sticks from that Bestsku dude. Seems to be the cheapest one I could find. Those controllers aren't so bad. Side by side with the real AES stick it is a bit lighter but other than that pretty similar.

Good to know that it's not a total POS.

madman

This stick is a flimsy pile of Chinese garbage. I can't imagine that an original Neo stick is anything like this. The only thing I can compare it to is my Hori stick which is far more durable. This thing feels like some Fisher Price knock off crap. I don't think I'll even bother to put better buttons on it. I'll just keep searching for another Hori stick or OG AES stick. Not worth the $40.

That said, the bestsku sticks are indeed brand new, the only thing missing is the box. Which I'm sure is made of radioactive Chinese waste.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know, the old style sticks aren't exactly arcade grade equipment either.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
You know, the old style sticks aren't exactly arcade grade equipment either.

Dunno why, but when it comes to controls, I still prefer the feel of the old NG sticks compared to say the Japanese standard which uses Sanwa parts.

I can't for the life of me play 2D or even 3D fighting games with most arcade sticks, but for some reason the old style NG sticks are perfect.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've always heard great things about them, never tried one.
It's not much different from the NGX sticks you're bashing. The main defect of the X stick is that there's a plastic piece in the stick that isn't molded quite right which causes a bump that you can feel sometimes, and the plastic used is a cheaper textured plastic than the originals. Other than that, they feel the same. I actually like the buttons on the X stick better, probably due to lack of wear, although it's easy to put better buttons in the original stick.

The og stick isn't bad, certainly better than most of the crap SNES sticks out there, but real Sanwa stick is a lot better.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Wow, hard to believe there's still talk of this thing. I could have sworn it would all have been a distant nightmare by now. You never cease to amaze Tommo, well done.

Wow, hard to believe there's still talk of this thing. I could have sworn it would all have been a distant nightmare by now. You never cease to amaze Tommo, well done.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:]

Bought mine - used it ones - sold it. Horrible thing...

madman

Just talking about the stick, not the system itself. Some dude made a PCB to allow the NGX stick to be used on a Vectrex, so I'm gonna grab another for that alone and add some better buttons.

Edit: Bummer, the seller uped the price to $50.

Last edited: