PSone Video Issues

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Alright I just got my hands on a PSone console and i'm having some problems.

I had it hooked up to an 1945q pvm first through RGB then with S-video. Both were scrambled. I have a bunch of standard PSX consoles that all work perfectly fine with both of those same connections.

Are PSones some how different then the old models?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Alright I just got my hands on a PSone console and i'm having some problems.

I had it hooked up to an 1945q pvm first through RGB then with S-video. Both were scrambled. I have a bunch of standard PSX consoles that all work perfectly fine with both of those same connections.

Are PSones some how different then the old models?

No, they all use the same pins in the same connectors. Sounds like a bad unit. Have you tried the PSone on a TV?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
without seeing exactly how it's scrambled, I'd start with the physical side of things.

Inside on the top right of the motherboard is a SONY CXD8561CQ.
That's the GPU. The AV Multi-out should be nearby.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/PSone-Motherboard.jpg

Make sure there's no rust or corrosion on the chip, or the traces nearby.
A visual inspection should be good enough.

I have a PSOne as well, and it works fine on my Sony PVM 20" via RGB

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah just tested composite video and its the same. Fucking shady eBay sellers man. The guy apparently had it listed as the video is "not steady". This is a LONG ass way from "not steady". Also had it listed as used instead of not working or in need of repair.

I guess i'll crack it open and see if I can clean it up. Thanks to DNSDies for the advice.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Yeah just tested composite video and its the same. Fucking shady eBay sellers man. The guy apparently had it listed as the video is "not steady". This is a LONG ass way from "not steady". Also had it listed as used instead of not working or in need of repair.

I guess i'll crack it open and see if I can clean it up. Thanks to DNSDies for the advice.

open case... return it. get your moneyz back. 1/2/3

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
open case... return it. get your moneyz back. 1/2/3

An option i'm keeping in my back pocket at the moment. It was a pretty good deal, even with this issue as it came with some other stuff.

I did send the seller a message. My next step is dependent on how he/she responds.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
without seeing exactly how it's scrambled, I'd start with the physical side of things.

Inside on the top right of the motherboard is a SONY CXD8561CQ.
That's the GPU. The AV Multi-out should be nearby.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/PSone-Motherboard.jpg

Make sure there's no rust or corrosion on the chip, or the traces nearby.
A visual inspection should be good enough.

I have a PSOne as well, and it works fine on my Sony PVM 20" via RGB

Not seeing any rust but just in case, what's a good cleaning liquid? I generally use 90+ isopropyl but is there some thing better for this situation?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
deoxit and an old toothbrush for corrosion.
alcohol will get rid of grime and dirt, but doesn't do much for corrosion though.

If the gpu looks good, it might also be the video ram, which is the smaller chip next to the GPU.
It could also be a faulty connection in the AV Multi Out, so clean that as well, and check to make sure there are no broken solder joints where the pins connect to the motherboard.

Does it at least give some sound when you boot it up?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
deoxit and an old toothbrush for corrosion.
alcohol will get rid of grime and dirt, but doesn't do much for corrosion though.

If the gpu looks good, it might also be the video ram, which is the smaller chip next to the GPU.
It could also be a faulty connection in the AV Multi Out, so clean that as well, and check to make sure there are no broken solder joints where the pins connect to the motherboard.

Does it at least give some sound when you boot it up?

Now that I think about it, no I don't remember hearing any sound. Whelp I'll order the deoxit and give it a good cleaning. I'm really hoping it's not bad solder joints.