[SOLVED] XRGB Mini problem with PAL-M Mega Drive (on composite video and RGB).

rodolfocm

Another Striker
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I just bought a Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) in Brazil, it outputs PAL-M video but everything else is just like a north-american Genesis. I hooked it to my XRGB Mini using the composite cable (I'm still waiting for my SCART cable to arrive). But for some reason, it won't display colors. Everything is in black and white. Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't find an option on the XRGB Mini menu to change it. Firmware is the last one (2.0).
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just bought a Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) in Brazil, it outputs PAL-M video but everything else is just like a north-american Genesis. I hooked it to my XRGB Mini using the composite cable (I'm still waiting for my SCART cable to arrive). But for some reason, it won't display colors. Everything is in black and white. Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't find an option on the XRGB Mini menu to change it. Firmware is the last one (2.0).
Thanks a lot!

The latest firmware update should have PAL support on the mini, though I've read somewhere the composite output from the Genny to the mini has some problems anyway. I'd wait for the SCART cable and try. If the RGB output is showing in black and white as well, then it's time to investigate further.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
The latest firmware update should have PAL support on the mini, though I've read somewhere the composite output from the Genny to the mini has some problems anyway. I'd wait for the SCART cable and try. If the RGB output is showing in black and white as well, then it's time to investigate further.
So my RGB cables arrived. I tested the Neo Geo and PlayStation and they look amazing! PS2 3D games doesn't look as gorgeous as 2D games do (colors were very vibrant in Capcom Vs SNK 2). But my Mega Drive...well...take a look at the pictures:
20150617_173142.jpg20150617_173202.jpg

I forgot to mention that the Mega Drive was modded to output stereo directly from the video output. Could that be causing this or what? I contacted the guy that sold me the system and said the stereo mod could be easily be reversed.
Also when I connected the PS2 everything was green. I was like "great, so only Neo Geo is working". But then I changed the output option to RGB in the PS2 system menu and it fixed the color. So maybe Mega Drive also need to enable the RGB output or something?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
So my RGB cables arrived. I tested the Neo Geo and PlayStation and they look amazing! PS2 3D games doesn't look as gorgeous as 2D games do (colors were very vibrant in Capcom Vs SNK 2). But my Mega Drive...well...take a look at the pictures:
View attachment 26286View attachment 26287

I forgot to mention that the Mega Drive was modded to output stereo directly from the video output. Could that be causing this or what? I contacted the guy that sold me the system and said the stereo mod could be easily be reversed.
Also when I connected the PS2 everything was green. I was like "great, so only Neo Geo is working". But then I changed the output option to RGB in the PS2 system menu and it fixed the color. So maybe Mega Drive also need to enable the RGB output or something?

Nope, the Genesis (all older consoles that have RGB output, in fact) outputs RGB all the time, no need to enable anything. And I do not think the stereo mod did anything, unless they took the sync line to add the missing audio channel. Google for the default pinout of the Genesis output and compare it wth the one from yours.

Regards

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Nope, the Genesis (all older consoles that have RGB output, in fact) outputs RGB all the time, no need to enable anything. And I do not think the stereo mod did anything, unless they took the sync line to add the missing audio channel. Google for the default pinout of the Genesis output and compare it wth the one from yours.

Regards

According the seller (the guy who modded it), he took the sync line, just like you said. He said himself that this is what is causing this video problem. He even sent me a tutorial to return the system to what it was before the mod. Since i cant even hold a soldering iron, i left the system with a guy that knows what he is doing. He might return the system today, i will then update situation here. Thanks!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
According the seller (the guy who modded it), he took the sync line, just like you said. He said himself that this is what is causing this video problem. He even sent me a tutorial to return the system to what it was before the mod. Since i cant even hold a soldering iron, i left the system with a guy that knows what he is doing. He might return the system today, i will then update situation here. Thanks!

Just an additional Sync line tip - you can easily buffer it by taking some 74 series chip (HC speed is fine) and running it through something like two inverter gates, or both inputs to an AND gate, etc. After that, sync will be rock solid, and there will be no need to use Composite Video for sync any more.

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza

Yeah, Genesis doesn't need 'enabling' to output RGB it does. I'm not well versed into why the video was tapped the sync line for audio..but I would agree that that's the reason. Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully you'll have that system back from the other guy with the rgb output proper. I'd rather have better visuals than sound anyway. The ideal is both.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Solved!
After returning the Mega Drive to the former self, video was fixed:
5WEsXJ4.jpg

Thanks everyone that helped!