A tale so gripping, the words leap right off the page and grab you!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
This is Descrypha, a demonic tome that appeared in the "Lingering Curse" layer of "Death World" in From Software's 1998/1999 Shadow Tower Sony Playstation 1 video game.

ST_descrypha1.jpg

Taking aim at a Descrypha with bow and arrow. If the librarian asks, you didn't see anything!

ST_descrypha2.jpg

Descrypha entry from the in-game Creature Book.
Note that there's a typo: its' height should read 2' 11" (0.89 meters), not 2" 11' (3.4 meters).
That'd be one gigantic volume!

ST_descrypha7.jpg

Construction process:

ST_descrypha3.jpg

ST_descrypha4.jpg

ST_descrypha5.jpg

ST_descrypha6b.jpg

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
That looks wonderful, love the hand gesture and the book looks so legit. The 'skin' feels especially impressive.

Ever consider doing something with the Grimoire books from Nier?

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I wish that game had a European release. As a Dark Souls fan i have been digging in From Software's past and bought the first and fourth Kings Field games on PS1 and PS2. I always liked the design of their creatures and bosses in Dark Souls. You think you can do the same with some of those? Great work btw!

@M

20 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@Diavle18: I've never played Nier (I'm behind the times, the most "modern" consoles I own are a PS2 and NDS Lite). As far as other grimoires go, I have considered making the Magic Tome or Spell Book enemies from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (they're similar to Descrypha, except one has a bunch of pointy weapons projecting out of it and the other a giant skull) and the one from Secret of Mana (with the rare naked centerfold image exposed of course, lol).

@Bill Kilgore: That's a bummer that Shadow Tower wasn't localized for Europe. There was a second Shadow Tower game too, on the PS2, but I don't believe that was ever released outside of Japan.

In the past, I've made a S-Knight from King's Field (which is really KF2 in Japan) and a Zombie Miner from King's Field: The Ancient City (KF4, which is the best KF game in my opinion).

KF_s-knight_rotation_zps10cfcee1.gif
KF4_AC_zminer_rotate.gif

I've never played Dark Souls either, but I have seen screenshots of many of the interesting critters in that title.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Excellent work,and to have it featured in a game that's hard work paying dividends.

@M

20 Year Member
I thank you for the compliment, but I believe you may have misunderstood the nature of my work. These are all fan art pieces. From Software's artists designed the creatures in Shadow Tower, King's Field, etc., not me, I just made papier mache figures based on the digital polygon models found in the software. My sculptures aren't featured in any actual games.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Awesome, as always! I'm always impressed at how small these are, to get the joints and knuckles in the fingers just right must take a lot of skill.

@M

20 Year Member
The fingers were actually pretty easy to make in this case. I drew them out first, on cardboard, cut those shapes out, and then wrapped the glue-and-newsprint strips around them until they were 3-dimensional. Finally, I used my own hand as a model to arrange the digits in a realistic fashion [I'm right-handed, which I why I used my left hand as the model (I need my right hand free to work), consequently Descrypha became a lefty too].