In the Hunt PCB - Weird jumper wires

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So I just got my hands on an IREM In the Hunt PCB (:buttrock:) but there are some odd jumpers behind the jamma harness that connect power and ground to what looks like coin 2. Anyone know what that is about? I'd like to know if I should cut these off before plugging this into my Blast.

In the Hunt Jumpers 1.JPGIn the Hunt jumpers 2.JPGIn the Hunt Jumpers 3.JPGIn the Hunt PCB.JPG

Don't ask me why the photos are upside down, photos taken on my iPhone tend to end up that way when I upload them here, no idea why.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well whatever, I decided to just cut them off. Board works fine, everything's awesome. If anyone knows why they might have been there in the first place just let me know!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Someone tied the Neo Geo Select button to the credits.
Perhaps that board doesn't have a free play feature.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
A retard retarded up your board with an ugly hack to suit their retarded cabinet.

I think that about covers it.

By the way - your PCB is covered with Irem Deathcaps - keep an eye on it, here's why:
http://blog.system11.org/?p=1038

I am not overstating the problem either unfortunately, it's a plague as predictable as the Konami customs and potentially as damaging.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
A retard retarded up your board with an ugly hack to suit their retarded cabinet.

I think that about covers it.

By the way - your PCB is covered with Irem Deathcaps - keep an eye on it, here's why:
http://blog.system11.org/?p=1038

I am not overstating the problem either unfortunately, it's a plague as predictable as the Konami customs and potentially as damaging.

He is 100% correct about those caps, at first glance they seem fine but they are time bombs and they've probably already went off.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I have some M92s and the negative leg for each of those brown caps doesn't seem to desolder easily. Specifically I can only desolder the positive leg. The other one can not detach without damage! Any feedback?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have some M92s and the negative leg for each of those brown caps doesn't seem to desolder easily. Specifically I can only desolder the positive leg. The other one can not detach without damage! Any feedback?

Use a better desoldering tool. Also apply solder to the negative(ground) leg first, it helps transfer heat to it. Depending on the temp you are using, hold it there for around 3-5 seconds before sucking up the solder.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Gah! Thanks for the heads up on that. Why are all these old boards so suicidal? Don't they realize people love and care about them? :-P

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Gah! Thanks for the heads up on that. Why are all these old boards so suicidal? Don't they realize people love and care about them? :-P

It's mostly due to the way they were taken care of when in operation. A lot of arcade ops never really cleaned inside the arcade cabs, never really tuned the +5v line, etc. one of my old friends had two cabs at her place of business and asked me to look at her MVC one asking why it now has problems, first thing I checked was the voltage and it was sitting at 5.3v, she said it was never touched, that's how she got it when it was new. Usually a power supply drops in voltage not climbs. A lot of chips in that setup are rated a max of 5.25v.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's mostly due to the way they were taken care of when in operation. A lot of arcade ops never really cleaned inside the arcade cabs, never really tuned the +5v line, etc. one of my old friends had two cabs at her place of business and asked me to look at her MVC one asking why it now has problems, first thing I checked was the voltage and it was sitting at 5.3v, she said it was never touched, that's how she got it when it was new. Usually a power supply drops in voltage not climbs. A lot of chips in that setup are rated a max of 5.25v.

Dang! That makes sense. None of the "arcade ops" in my area knew anything about arcade games, they would just set up the games, and never touch them again until something stopped working, then they would call someone else lol. They all ended up going out of business pretty quickly after opening, and I'm pretty sure they were all passing around the same MVC machine. All we have now is a barcade. I went in there one time and they had a Bass City that was out of order, so I asked the manager if they needed it looked at or if they maybe wanted to get rid of it and she looked at me like I had just escaped from an asylum and was wielding a knife haha. She said they don't touch the machines, a rental company comes in, sets up the cabs, and services them when there is trouble. I'm not even sure they pick the games.