time for a cap kit? update FIXED

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Hey guys i picked up a mario bros arcade game yesterday and it was working perfectly and the picture was beautiful. Got it home and played for about an hour was working fine and all of a sudden the picture went wavy and distorted. I believe the monitors in these things is a sanyo 20EZV. So can it be anything but the capacitors on the chassis? flyback maybe? any help is appreciated thanks gonna try to get some pics hopefully it translates well to camera.

PIC

UPDATE: got the game fixed after doing all the caps and reflowing a couple solder joints. The monitor looks great thanks for all the advice everyone gave here is a pic (taken with my phone so not the best)

Last edited:

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hey guys i picked up a mario bros arcade game yesterday and it was working perfectly and the picture was beautiful. Got it home and played for about an hour was working fine and all of a sudden the picture went wavy and distorted. I believe the monitors in these things is a sanyo 20EZV. So can it be anything but the capacitors on the chassis? flyback maybe? any help is appreciated thanks gonna try to get some pics hopefully it translates well to camera.

How was the unit transported? These old arcades get be roughed up pretty thoroughly if not transported well, and usually problems that didn't show up before will arise because it's been in that state.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
How was the unit transported? These old arcades get be roughed up pretty thoroughly if not transported well, and usually problems that didn't show up before will arise because it's been in that state.

transported standing up and tied down well like i said was working for an hour when i got it home checked for loose connections and couldnt really find anything we hauled 2 cabs yesterday and both were secured well my friends shinobi cab works perfectly.

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
transported standing up and tied down well like i said was working for an hour when i got it home checked for loose connections and couldnt really find anything we hauled 2 cabs yesterday and both were secured well my friends shinobi cab works perfectly.

Thanks for posting the picture. Didn't pass any through any big magnetic fields did you? ;)

Is there a way you can try and degaus? The fact that it was working and then now you have a wavy picture indicates something is wrong somewhere. Usually caps need time to heat up and they actually 'open up' when steady voltage is applied. Did you check the voltage is good?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Could be an issue with cold solder joints too. My AWSD monitor would get this nasty wave in it till I recapped and reflowed everything. Might be time to give that Sanyo some TLC. I did a little research and it seems most people that were having issues with the picture being wavy was indeed a cap issue. How long had the machine been sitting? Caps will hold a charge for a little bit, (kinda how a Turbo Duo will play audio for a bit then crap out), but then eventually not hold a charge. Can't hurt to recap it.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
My ideas would be caps or cold solder joints (as stated above). Have a little look at the chassis and see if you can see any dried or cracked joints. I doubt it has anything to do with it needing a degaussing...

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Could be an issue with cold solder joints too. My AWSD monitor would get this nasty wave in it till I recapped and reflowed everything. Might be time to give that Sanyo some TLC. I did a little research and it seems most people that were having issues with the picture being wavy was indeed a cap issue. How long had the machine been sitting? Caps will hold a charge for a little bit, (kinda how a Turbo Duo will play audio for a bit then crap out), but then eventually not hold a charge. Can't hurt to recap it.

thanks panda will definitely have to tear into this thing and check for solder joints but im gonna order a cap kit cause after doing some more research it sounds like it could be the filter cap cause the image kind of waves around like a flag.

My ideas would be caps or cold solder joints (as stated above). Have a little look at the chassis and see if you can see any dried or cracked joints. I doubt it has anything to do with it needing a degaussing...

agree i dont think this is a degauss issue colors are fine

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Ok guys ordered up a cap kit hopefully it gets here so I can do it this weekend. I'll post up soon as I get this thing going.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
update time guys, was putting in the cap kit last night and the filter cap didnt match up so I need to get another one of those but all the other caps matched. The one problem I had was one of the pads on the board was half gone and it was on the positive side of the cap it was C303 for reference. My question is can I do a wire repair on that or not? wasnt even sure if I should as Ive never run into this before on a capacitor so where would you run a wire on something like this if you even can? any advice is appreciated thanks guys.

edit this is a sanyo 20-EZV for reference.

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
update time guys, was putting in the cap kit last night and the filter cap didnt match up so I need to get another one of those but all the other caps matched. The one problem I had was one of the pads on the board was half gone and it was on the positive side of the cap it was C303 for reference. My question is can I do a wire repair on that or not? wasnt even sure if I should as Ive never run into this before on a capacitor so where would you run a wire on something like this if you even can? any advice is appreciated thanks guys.

edit this is a sanyo 20-EZV for reference.

Got any pictures of this? I reckon you could just take the wire from the cap to the next component down the line (which the cap would have connected to through the original trace).

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Got any pictures of this? I reckon you could just take the wire from the cap to the next component down the line (which the cap would have connected to through the original trace).

yeah I'm looking at the schematic now and I see where it goes to on there so Im trying to locate it on the board. If only it was the negative lead just run it to the ground on the board and done but no had to be the positive lol. anyways I cant get a pic right now as Im not at home being that its fathers day and all but will try to get one up soon.

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
cool thanks bro just gotta wait for the right filter cap to come in and I'll post up some pics of this thing working hopefully next weekend.

so how things go? hopefully things were good after the caps were replaced.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
so how things go? hopefully things were good after the caps were replaced.

well ive got all of the caps in but the filter cap, the guy sent me the wrong one the first time :( so i'm still waiting on the right one to come in which should be here monday. I will put the filter cap in tuesday night cause im busy monday but will let you guys know as soon as I get this going.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
update: after fighting usps for 2 weeks I finally got my filter cap in so I will try to tackle putting this thing in tonight when I get off work. Will upload some pics if everything works out.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
bump see original post for pics of the monitor up and working :) thanks everyone

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Looks great man, and a helluva graet looking cab too, is it a DK conversion or a Wide Body?

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Looks great man, and a helluva graet looking cab too, is it a DK conversion or a Wide Body?

Original dedicated wide body :) its in decent shape the CPO has a couple small spots wore through where you can see the metal and the coin slots dont work but overall its in pretty good shape.