CPS mobo differences & King of Dragons broken patches

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
King of Dragons also maybe has a problem with 10Mhz.
Out of topic: My King of Dragons has some missing elements. There is no tale of the Hydra boss. There is no body and tale of the red dragon final boss. It is desuicided.
Has anybody this issue?
I just confirmed on my desuicided KoD. It's the world version and no hydra tail or red dragon body/tail. It's like a background layer is not patched correctly. I never even knew that those were missing before.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I just confirmed on my desuicided KoD. It's the world version and no hydra tail or red dragon body/tail. It's like a background layer is not patched correctly. I never even knew that those were missing before.
But now you know and it doesn't sound good right?
Look on mame or YouTube to see how good these 2 missing tails are!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
From my experience, the short and long boards aren't really much more reliable than each other, what tends to die are the big custom PPU chips anyway (I need about 10 of the damn things to revive my boards!). But the long boards are older, so naturally they are more likely to now have faulty components.

Otherwise there's sod-all difference between them. The short boards don't bend as much in the middle when unsupported, which is nice, and probably lends to longevity.

The long boards have through-hole components, which can be easier to diagnose/replace parts in since you can socket them, unlike the surface mount stuff on the short boards...

And yes, the boards labelled "CPS DASH" for the SF2Turbo boards have a 12MHz capable CPU and clock, as opposed to the 10MHz older boards. To be honest I'm not sure this actually makes all that much difference. I've been meaning to make a video comparison to have some quantifiable evidence one way or another.

It makes a difference, because all the Street Fighter 2 series games implement their turbo in a weird way. Timing isn't locked to something dependable, like the frame rate, so the game speed will linearly increase with CPU speed.

Try opening up Final Burn Alpha and cranking up the emulated CPU speed. Watch the game go into turbo turbo turbo turbo. I don't know if this will go the other way, putting the Turbo B board on a 10MHz A board, though.

Playing World Warrior or Champion Edition should be the same on the 12Mhz boards, though, since those lock into the framerate unlike the later titles.

fluxcore

Another Striker
It makes a difference, because all the Street Fighter 2 series games implement their turbo in a weird way. Timing isn't locked to something dependable, like the frame rate, so the game speed will linearly increase with CPU speed.

Try opening up Final Burn Alpha and cranking up the emulated CPU speed. Watch the game go into turbo turbo turbo turbo. I don't know if this will go the other way, putting the Turbo B board on a 10MHz A board, though.

Playing World Warrior or Champion Edition should be the same on the 12Mhz boards, though, since those lock into the framerate unlike the later titles.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought the difference would be very noticeable in the game loop between a 10MHz and 12MHz board though, and I was surprised that I didn't really notice it, hence why I want to make a video. One problem may be my GBS rgb->vga board though, I think it diddles with the refresh rate a bit which may skew things. Might have to try it with my rgb->component converter instead.