Looking to resurrect dead consoles

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
WISE FWOM YO GWAVE. I did some searching but came up empty so forgive if these are easily answered/obvious questions.

I was going through my parents' basement and found two old, dead consoles that I'm looking to resurrect.

- First is my OG US Turbo Grafx. Don't remember when or how it happened but I broke the A/V port on it when I was a kid. I'll look again but IIRC, the port is like a blown-out pussy, too loose to take the required cord.

- Second is a JPN Derby Stallion Sega Saturn (the limited blue skeletal one). Bought one off a guy and it had one of those ugly region-mod switches. Anyway, was playing Vampire Savior back in the day and the switch got flipped while the machine was still on and it fried the power supply. Ugh.

I'm completely fucking useless when it comes to soldering/doing anything that requires a steady hand. Who is a good resource either here or on the interwebs that could potentially resurrect these two machines for a reasonable price? Are the replacement parts even available?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Turbo is probably an easy fix. The RF ports are useless anyway, so ditch it. In its place, either do composite, svideo, or RGB, whatever your heart desires. The TG16 itself is probably just fine, they aren't prone to failure like the Duos.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Youtube has good repair walkthroughs for just about any console. Saturn PS is an easy fix. If you don't want to solder you can source a replacement board and swap it out. But before you spend money, check the fuse. Those can blow out sometimes and are cheap to replace, and they're in a spot where even a monkey could solder them in.

100proof

10 Year Member
Just watched a handful of vids and yeah, I do not trust myself even with something that dead simple. I build and upgrade computers on the regular but even the most basic electrical engineering stuff makes me shit my pants. I know it's a waste of money but I'd rather just find someone who knows what they're doing to knock it out instead of me bumbling around and potentially fucking it up.

If anyone here would be willing to do it, I'd gladly pay all costs and chip in a few bucks for their trouble or at least buy them a case of their beer of choice.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you were a little closer I'd say just drop them off at my house.

100proof

10 Year Member
well, you are on the way to Lost Ark ;)

Gohan was actually nice enough to offer to help but he's a busy guy and I don't want to take up what little free time he has already. That said, if I can't find any other takers, I'll drop them off at his place the next time we head up there and whenever he gets to them is fine. I'm a patient guy.

Offer still stands. If any of you weekend warriors are willing, I'll pay for parts, shipping and a case of beer/bottle of liquor.