Proper way to burn Saturn games on Chipped console?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm getting pretty frustrated my my crappy chipped, bios modded saturn. It loads all region games fine, but has issues with PAL stuff still. Mainly my Panzer Dragoon Saga. So today I decided to try and burn a game and test out to see if it will indeed play backups. Big surprise it does not work. I am probably screwing something up so here is what I am trying to do.

1. I have a bios modded, and chipped USA saturn.
2. I am trying to burn Radiant Silvergun at this time.
3. It is a DarkWater Release.
4. I tried just burning the BIN/Cue in Japanese with no luck.
5. Tried patching it with Sega Saturn Region Patcher to english with no luck.

*** The error I keep getting is the "this disc is unsuitable for this system" error.

6. I am using IMGBurn and trying to burn at 8X but the slowest image burn will let me burn is 16x for some reason.

*** I have not modified the cue in any way. I'm not sure if I should just make a new one.

Do I need just one good cue, or do I need to make a new cue if I patch the BIN to another region? I am unsure if the Cue's are actually different per region.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Do a google search for "Sega Cue Maker," place it in the directory and run it. Use that cue file to burn the disc and see if it works. For some reason a lot of downloadable games have bad cue files.

I don't guarantee this is your issue, but it's worth a shot. You might also need to try some different brands of media, some systems are super picky. My PCE CD drive, for example, doesn't like anything but Taiyo Yudens. My US Turbo CD gives no fucks and will read anything.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Cue maker is always a good idea, but Darkwater rips will have had a good cue. I agree with GohanX that changing your media should be your first test, followed by a laser pot tweak if that doesn't work. A 1-2mm turn to the pot clockwise can do wonders for reading CD-Rs.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
A few tips:

* I usually make sure what I want to play will work on an emulator first. It won't solve all your problems but if it's a shitty file you'll know right away.

* I had the best luck when I would mount to a virtual drive first, then clone it.

* use good media and burn slow

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Guess I might have to break down and buy the Yuden discs. I've been putting it off for awhile and just trying to use Verbatim.

I'll give that cue maker a shot just fir the hell of it and see what happens. I don't want to keep tweaking my pot if I can help it, but I also don't want to spend $350.00 on a legit copy of Hyper Duel.

I really got into the wrong hobby, but I'm in too deep to start collecting stamps.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
These overprinted TY are a good price (100 for $20/shipped). I've been using them with my Saturn, DC, CD, and Duo.

Thanks for the link! Last time I looked they were double that price.

How do you all get Sega Cue Maker to load on Windows 7? I think it must be pretty old because I read some old threads with people having issues getting it to work on Vista. I tried running in xp mode but it keeps saying I am missing a file.

I really don't want to have to bust out my Windows 98SE gaming rig just to see if it will work.

*** EDIT ***

Nevermind, I found the missing file and placed it in the sega cue maker folder and now it works.

*** EDIT #2 ***

Dammit! Does Sega Cue Maker only generate Cue's for ISO files?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Strangely, those crummy Memorex CD-Rs work fine in my Saturn.

You could try installing VirtualBox or VMWare Player, installing Windows 98SE and running Cue Maker from there.

Are you sure your modchip is installed correctly? Depending on the model of modchip and Saturn, read these:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-chip-problems&p=655613&viewfull=1#post655613
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-chip-problems&p=656397&viewfull=1#post656397

That info is a little too over my head. I did not install the chip, but I did have to re solder the wire back onto the chip before anything would boot. I think it came loose in shipping. Maybe I should post some pictures again that are better. It is just a square chip connected by 2 ribbon cables. There is one wire going from the corner of the chip, to the front left side of the console. I noticed in the pictures I viewed before that the wire from the chip is not soldered in the same spot as in the guide I looked at. But again, I know nothing of the saturn chips, but it does look like a easy install.

I tried that Radiant Silvergun I burned on SSF and both work, the USA patched one, and the Japanese one. So I am not sure what the hell is going on. This thing works fine until I play PAL Panzer Dragoon Saga, then after about 20 minutes when either I load a screen, or as soon as a item flies toward me and I catch it it goes to the Sega Saturn dashboard. Then only American games work until I turn the console off for at least 10 minutes. Only then will a Japanese or European game boot. It's really weird, and frustrating.

I guess I will try the better Taiyo Yuden CDR's and go from there. If that doesn't work I will explore other alternatives.

*** EDIT ***

The guy over there mention the laser goes up and down, and that it's probably looking for the ring. That's what my system does with burns before going to the dash and giving me the "disc is not compatible with the system" error.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've found the laser (even though brand new) can dictate which CD-R media works. I had a brand new laser which was flawless with pressed discs but wouldn't read any CD-R properly, not Yuden or Verbatim either. I replaced the laser a 2nd time from a different company, and now it reads all CD-R media - absolutely anything you can buy off the shelf seems to work with it. Both lasers are the correct Optima laser but manufactured from different Chinese sellers (I suspect both are clones). One works, one doesn't. Both read pressed discs perfectly. Laser voltage adjustment doesn't help much if you have to move the pot by a few degrees as ultimately the laser will fail much more quickly. Mines a Model 1 Saturn and any disc I throw at it works perfectly.