Atari (Tengen) vs. Nintendo: Gaming Historian

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hey guys. This is a pretty cool video about the legal battle between Tengen and Nintendo back in the 8 bit days. It's a fascinating story and this video really really breaks it down very well. This isn't a shill because I have nothing to do with the Gaming Historian. I'm just sharing it because it's a really well done.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Nintendo back then pissed me off so much. I think they played a huge role in the demise of the SMS, and the Genesis could have been that much better without their unethical business practices. Screw Nintendo.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Nintendo back then pissed me off so much. I think they played a huge role in the demise of the SMS, and the Genesis could have been that much better without their unethical business practices. Screw Nintendo.

Whatever. The game libraries for the NES, Genesis and SNES were all great. That was a good era for gaming. If the business practices were unethical, the courts should have stepped in.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
His videos are always good. Thanks for sharing

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I remember reading about this in one of the Console Wars chapters and it was rather interesting, something I would have enjoyed to know more about. Gonna watch that video!

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Taiso, thanks for posting that very good video enjoyed every bit of it. At the end of the day its all fucking greed & bullshit tactics. Lot of things that could have been but wasn't huh?, oh well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Funny seeing this video today, after just finding out earlier that Jack Tramiel passed away. Somehow missed that when it happened.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Going to have to agree with others that this was a good watch.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Id watched it earlier say what you will about nintendo but during the nes era they were to controlling.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
That was a pretty cool video. I never seen this guy on YT. I'll check out some of his other stuff. Thanks.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I finally had a chance to watch the video, and I'm impressed with this Gaming Historian fellow. His attention to detail and fact finding are impressive, and his presentation style/delivery keeps the interest up on what would otherwise be fairly dry material. To be fair, I'm a sucker for game industry history, but again, his delivery is great. It's refreshing really, especially compared to most of the fluff online coming from people who take a half-baked approach to this type of subject matter. Great watch!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Gaming Historian is pretty much the best video game related channel on Youtube in my opinion. The dude is thorough, has a good voice for it, speaks well during his vids, covers interesting topics and has great love for the hobby. He's done a lot of awesome videos about video games that I think are right up NG.com's alley.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've since watched his SNES mini, Genesis Model 3, and history of LJN videos. It was really nice to get some perspective on LJN especially considering the lack of quality in most (if not all) of their titles.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah, I binged several more of his videos last night as well. It's refreshing to take a break from all the let's play, I hate, and pseudo-comedy gaming-related videos that clutter youtube.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Terrific vid, thankya. Bookmarked his youtube page and now I'm going down that rabbit hole.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Super Bunnyhop is another good channel. He's a bit more subjective about his views but he generally is well thought out and well researched. If you like Gaming Historian, check his channel out too. He has a really great video explaining why the older Resident Evil games are so beloved by the fan base that doesn't like the modern action oriented entries.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Always wondered what the deal was with the Tengan NES carts back in the day... Pretty good video, I might have to check more of his other videos.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Damn Taiso, you got me watching all his videos now. But, they are very good & well done I love all the random info he provides on the matter which very few does. I watched the one on LJN lol, gave me way more respect for that company. Its funny I had a lot of them toys as a kid like the wrestlers :lolz: Just didn't know until now it was them. Friday 13th & Jaws on NES are good games don't care what anybody says. :angry:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I love Tengan carts. They always seemed to fit better. Plus Vindicators is the shit.

NeoEsteria

n00b
Good vid. I love those Tengen carts - only third-party developer for the NES with actual legit playable games. And Sega on a Nintendo console? Yes please.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Super Bunnyhop is another good channel. He's a bit more subjective about his views but he generally is well thought out and well researched. If you like Gaming Historian, check his channel out too. He has a really great video explaining why the older Resident Evil games are so beloved by the fan base that doesn't like the modern action oriented entries.

Another good channel. I just hate that it's called Super Bunnyhop...