Is Bullet-Hell played out?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
bullet hell has been played out for a long time. It's not really a genre that can hold it's own without adding more gameplay aspects to the game. Different color bullets and shields is kinda played out.

:rolleyes:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I'd say my favorite time frame for shmups is mid 90s to early 2000s. Basically, the transition time as shmups slowly evolved into bullet hell as developers experimented with wild new things to do with bullets patterns.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I'd say my favorite time frame for shmups is mid 90s to early 2000s. Basically, the transition time as shmups slowly evolved into bullet hell as developers experimented with wild new things to do with bullets patterns.

Same for me. Transition from Toaplan to Cave, from Batsugun to the new era ;)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Perhaps it's the way I'm wired...but I struggle with them and have no patience with them...never have. I find them to be maddening...

Like someone else said...you either love them or hate them...I hate them.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I certainly enjoyed them when i was younger, but I also enjoyed QTE games like dragon's lair. I need to save my memorization brain cells these days.
This is how I feel playing bullet hell games now:

ff08d2721e76c2cba2cd78b496a8d7a1.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'm on break from bullet hails. I'm on some walk-em-up steeze. Arcus Odyssey, Last Alert...you know. The good stuff.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SO there's the Cave whores and the Cave haterz, both awful, both in need of a reality check. If you stop the pompous bullshit for a second, cave games are actually really good, well put together, worth every penny on just ports alone. PCBs, well, that's up to you. In my case I love the games enough to justify owning some of them. The rush like explained before is tremendous, one of the best arcade single player experience. Here's the thing though, you don't need to be some douche PCB whore to enjoy the games, the ports are fairly priced and the number of emulated games are pretty staggering, so there's really no need to hate for the sake of hating expensive games.

OP talked about originality, I couldn't disagree more and put into question this person's logic as it's way off the quadrant. Sounds more like someone just being a sour puss over dumb bullshit. Now if you'd make a RPG hate thread then I'd be far more supportive.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
SO there's the Cave whores and the Cave haterz, both awful, both in need of a reality check. If you stop the pompous bullshit for a second, cave games are actually really good, well put together, worth every penny on just ports alone. PCBs, well, that's up to you. In my case I love the games enough to justify owning some of them. The rush like explained before is tremendous, one of the best arcade single player experience. Here's the thing though, you don't need to be some douche PCB whore to enjoy the games, the ports are fairly priced and the number of emulated games are pretty staggering, so there's really no need to hate for the sake of hating expensive games.

OP talked about originality, I couldn't disagree more and put into question this person's logic as it's way off the quadrant. Sounds more like someone just being a sour puss over dumb bullshit. Now if you'd make a RPG hate thread then I'd be far more supportive.
Totally agree. One of the few genres that has huge replay value. I have a ton of the ports for the 360, and they play great. I added an slg3000 and it looks great too.

One of the things I love about Cave games is that I can put a game away for awhile, and still come back years later and enjoy it like I did when I first got it. I can't say that for most games, even those that hold a lot of nostalgia for me

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I bought most of the Cave games on the 360, but I'm not really big on bullet hell.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
They are played out, which is why the companies who make them - don’t any more.

Just a bukkake of pink bullets.

In batrider you can change the color of each type of enemy bullets, circular orbs, line bullets, and destructible bullets.
Default they are all different colors, orange, blue, and pink, but by holding start and pressing left, right, or down, you can actually change them independently. Red, green, purple, orange, yellow, or blue, any combination you want or all the same color if you want to add that extra intensity to the Black Heart mk2 fight and make everything red.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Psikyo & Seibu > Cave all day, everyday and twice on Sunday!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like some of the games. Shoot the Bullet was awesome! I'm not camping for teams, nor developers, I just wanna play the games. I do however consider Seibu the best simply 'cause of Raiden, my first shmup, my favorite seibu game is also Viper Phase 1, love it! I really like a lot of shrumps, I wish I could get better at them though, I just need to sit down with them and become more disciplined.

Splitts here would rather play Sol Divide over Donpachi or Dangun Feveron, both extremely toaplan inspired games that can give any not so bullet hell game like psikyo a run for its money. I'm just saying Splitts, you know I love you man!

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Dittos on pro Cave/Raizing camp.

The first time I cleared Mushihimesama Original, granted not a great feat, I had to take two aspirin and lay down for twenty minutes. What other type of game does that?

And you only get better the more you play, and that skill you develop carries over to the next shooting game you play.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Time to pass on that Mushihimesama PCB to less skilled folks like myself so I can grow like you have Ken!

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
we'll talk prisoner exchange after I get that Maniac clear

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
HAHAH

Also, I don’t play touhou but I’ll admit the people who do at a high level tend to obliterate cave, psikyo, raizing, and other such games while barely breaking a sweat. It makes me a little annoyed, seeing what that keyboard master race is capable of.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Splitts here would rather play Sol Divide over Donpachi or Dangun Feveron, both extremely toaplan inspired games that can give any not so bullet hell game like psikyo a run for its money. I'm just saying Splitts, you know I love you man!

It's funny you mention Donpachi and Dangun, along with Progear they are the only Cave games I actually love.

I could play Raiden Fighters and Strikers '45 for the rest of my life and never tire of either. My shmup skills are better suited towards 40 fast-as-hell snipey bullets rather than a curtain of 400 pink bullets.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
There is more depth to and replay value to CAVE (or similar) shooter than to [insert random 50 hour RPG].

I learn and (try to) perfect each stage and find new things each run. I'm still finding secret items in Dimahoo; still learning the best level to charge to; to uncover the items. Still learning when to alternate polarization and when it's in my interest not to.

Still learning the best times to release my dragon charge in Dragon Blaze. Still milking and then maximizing Tech Bonuses.

The first 5, 10, 50 times you play Ikaruga it's madness - you think you'll never see Stage 3. Then, you understand the patterns, you understand how to kill the bosses, you understand what you can shoot and get out of your way vs. what is stationary. Soon, your chaining Stage 1 (not the prologue), then your straight chaining stage 2...the game goes from "what the hell am I supposed to do", to an opera, where the game literally feels designed to sway to and fro, picking apart each enemy in order, these 3 here, those 6 here, pause, let em cross over, now these 6 here, then 1, pass, 1, pass, 1, pass, 1 pass, now all of 'em.

tl;dr - Get into ONE game you sorta like the feel or look of; then immerse yourself in it - it will change that game, and all other "bullet-hell" games for you, forever.

You're comparing a casual RPG run to a game that's not meant to be played casually. If you were to play a RPG to get the best time and performance, it's a completely different animal.
A 50-hour RPG can become a 4 hour RPG. There's even a leaderboard website for a game like Chrono Trigger: http://chrono.wikidot.com/

Some of the tricks you have to perform to get times that low require really precise inputs and timing, and the amount of stuff you need to practice is staggering.

Anyway, I don't run RPGs in this manner. I'm just saying that if you enjoy this hardcore aspect of bullet-hell shooters, you might enjoy trying to push the limits of other genres as well.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
RPGs...push the limits...lol! Fucken RPGs should be expunged from the video game industry, talk about a shit show genre, hate those mother fuckers to death.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
RPGs...push the limits...lol! Fucken RPGs should be expunged from the video game industry, talk about a shit show genre, hate those mother fuckers to death.
I wouldn't go that far. I think they have their place, but the idea of a speed run seems odd to me. IMO the whole point of an RPG is to take your time and explore everything.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
I wouldn't go that far. I think they have their place, but the idea of a speed run seems odd to me. IMO the whole point of an RPG is to take your time and explore everything.

RPGs are for killing time while soaking feets in epsom salts and the healings of burn victims.