Is anyone an engineer or scientist?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here work as an engineer or scientist?
What are your experiences in working in a specific field in these careers?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You deal with a ton of ignorance from those you have to deal with on a daily basis.

As an engineer, be prepared to have not only everyone under the sun tell you how to do your job, but also do it while being completely uninformed about what it is you actually do.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You finally going through with your sex change?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You deal with a ton of ignorance from those you have to deal with on a daily basis.

As an engineer, be prepared to have not only everyone under the sun tell you how to do your job, but also do it while being completely uninformed about what it is you actually do.

I love engineers. they are so helpful. They love to tell you how they would have approached something.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love engineers. they are so helpful. They love to tell you how they would have approached something.

Yeah, yeah...I get what you are saying.

I'm an odd duck systems/electrical engineer. I design systems (audio, cctv, life safety, etc), networks, stuff like that. I installed them for a long time so I've been on both sides of the fence.

I've dealt with some engineers that are like talking to an ATM...so yeah, it goes both ways.

My beef is that people call me in to design something for them (a cut and dried system), and then tell me how to do it...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
<------ Scientist......Sr Scientist even.

I can go into some serious details on academic path vs private sector. I work in the field of genomics/genetics/life science.....for the private sector.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just bought a nice aerophysics engineering Library. Paid $30 for 100 books from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
i graduated with a masters degree in Engineering....

...Sadly... i found the Engineering jobs in the UK to be on the same wage as a till operator in the local supermarket...

ALSO... the industry in the UK was racist and geared up to teh "white man...".... (I will expand on this if called for...)

I chose to buy my own business... it was better that way...

xROTx

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
He is trying to find the people who made him.

After Joe model 8 the division was shut down and disbanded. Some say it was due to poor sales of Joe 6 and 7. Model 8 was lucky to even make production and is now something of a collectors item.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
So many education levels in this thread.
Makes me feel a bit dumb, I never finished highschool :(

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Don't feel like that homie...

I work with electrical and mechanical engineers all day, and most of them are fucking 'tarded...

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
56157042.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lots of engineers are extremely moronic due to lack of knowledge from the service field. So many stupid useless designs is not even funny. I'm sure like everything else that there must be good engineers but like with everything else the number of good ones must be thin. Talk about impractical as shit and I know 'cause I used to work with them doing all their schematics, so dense, sometimes I had to tell them how to do their jobs, me not an engineer at all...

Same goes for architects, most of them are completely retarded. I hate to sound so bitter 'cause my sister is an architect, she's good though, she knows her stuff but jesus, most of them are oblivious.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Lots of mousey people in the Civil Engineering field. My biggest problem is offending people, when I am just trying to get shit done with as little bullshit as possible.

Kissing ass goes a long way, I'll probably never move up.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lots of engineers are extremely moronic due to lack of knowledge from the service field. So many stupid useless designs is not even funny.

Yup.

Infuriating.

It's always amazing when you actually work on something and can totally tell the guy/s that designed it actually knew what they were doing from both sides.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lots of mousey people in the Civil Engineering field. My biggest problem is offending people, when I am just trying to get shit done with as little bullshit as possible.

Kissing ass goes a long way, I'll probably never move up.

OMG civil engineers are useless, talk about overpaid douchebags...

Yup.

Infuriating.

It's always amazing when you actually work on something and can totally tell the guy/s that designed it actually knew what they were doing from both sides.

A rare instance but a good one for sure. There are some designs that you can tell, oh wow, this is practical!

Last edited:

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I just bought a nice aerophysics engineering Library. Paid $30 for 100 books from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Very cool, my kinda thing too. Do you have any use for these other than the novelty of owning and reading through them?

I bought a ton of old 1980s Reagan administration state dept. produced 'Military Capabilities of the Soviet Union' books, maybe 10 of them for 50c a piece at a thrift store. They are a trip, all kinds of artist's representations of stuff we thought the soviets had or were capable of- this was back when Russia still scared the crap out of us. A lot of it is hella silly, but it's a nostalgia fest. They are like a timewarp to my grade school and jr high years when kids were scared that WWIII might mean we all would get nukes for breakfast.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
OMG civil engineers are useless, talk about overpaid douchebags...

Hahaha. Won't disagree with you there, tons of assholes who think their shit doesn't stink. Snobby fucks who expect everybody else in the field to be snobby.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This is one of the dumbest threads in a long line of dumb joe8 threads.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Very cool, my kinda thing too. Do you have any use for these other than the novelty of owning and reading through them?

The use is to sell them for the most I can find someone to pay for them.

grey

n00b

Why, yes I am! (this kind of look likes some of my coworkers)

Engineers definitely can get a bum rap, which is usually our own fault. The profession attracts many types, especially the book smart socially inept people who have no common or practical sense. But there are tons of actually good engineers (well maybe only a few).

In my opinion, a good engineer is smart but more importantly is curious on how things work and has a strong desire to help fix things. If you have these properties, you will learn quick and use your smarts and learning to actually help *gasp*. People might even actually like having you around!

If you also like business, engineers are usually favoured in the chemical\manufacturing world as managers, site directors,...VPs...etc... over scientists. (mostly experience from what I've seen in my company...mileage may vary.)

(context, I've worked as: A project engineer, project manager, reliability engineer, maintenance engineer, team leader and manager at a large chemical\polymer company).

grey

n00b
Lots of engineers are extremely moronic due to lack of knowledge from the service field. So many stupid useless designs is not even funny. I'm sure like everything else that there must be good engineers but like with everything else the number of good ones must be thin. Talk about impractical as shit and I know 'cause I used to work with them doing all their schematics, so dense, sometimes I had to tell them how to do their jobs, me not an engineer at all...

Same goes for architects, most of them are completely retarded. I hate to sound so bitter 'cause my sister is an architect, she's good though, she knows her stuff but jesus, most of them are oblivious.

This is actually very true. But in the engineers defense:
1) Almost everything works on paper.
2) The devil is almost ALWAYS in the details.
3) Some decisions are made really early in a project (which might seem like a good idea at the time, or a decision just had to be made) and there is little time or money to make fixes.
4) Later changes screw up the entire design. (see #3)
5) There is never enough time or money given to a project.
6) Scope is never fully communicated/locked down

http://projectcartoon.com/cartoon/3

Marek

Banned
Motherfucking joe8s, how do THEY work??

I DONT WANT TO TALK TO A SCIENTIST

Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS LYING, AN MAKING ME PISSED

miracles. Way up in the air.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
So many education levels in this thread.
Makes me feel a bit dumb, I never finished highschool :(

Me neither! :D

I make shit money, I live in a shit apartment, but I'm not tied down by a career or a lifestyle of debt and my monthly bills are CRAZY low. I'll take that over a "good" education, "good" career and "good" life choices ANY day of the week.

EDIT: Best Poopy post evar! Right above mine. :keke: