Puzzle & Dragons Z/Puzzzle and Super Mario for 3DS

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anybody play the demo? What did you think? I thought it was derivative enough from puzzle quest and other such game to pre-download it. First full new game I've ever downloaded. Seems like it would be a good game to have on the system and bust out while waiting for a doctor's appointment.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Anybody play the demo? What did you think? I thought it was derivative enough from puzzle quest and other such game to pre-download it. First full new game I've ever downloaded. Seems like it would be a good game to have on the system and bust out while waiting for a doctor's appointment.

The mechanic to move your resource around the map is quite different than that of puzzle quest (you could only move to adjacent square). It also heavily focuses on chain-combos for damage multipliers. The learning curve is steep, but it's a great match-3 derivative

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Ya, having your orb movement influence where other orbs will go is a rather interesting mechanic, I just find that the timer makes it feel rather manic. So far, I've only tried the Mario Bros. themed game, but there are a few too many rules to make the game truly accessible for quick fun; for that, I'll stick to Dr. Mario, Pushmo/Stretchmo, and Pokémon Shuffle games.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I first thought this game was stupid when I saw it in Nintendo direct. But after downloading the demo for the fuck of it I found it pretty fun.

Still on the fence about purchasing it though, maybe after a price drop, but it seems like Nintendo games rarely get price drops.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Is there any real strategy or skill involved in this game? I played it briefly at PAX East and thought was some mobile match 3 game

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Is there any real strategy or skill involved in this game? I played it briefly at PAX East and thought was some mobile match 3 game

There is absolutely a strategy involved in it as orb movement affects all adjacent orbs and where they end up. The goal is to arrange as many matches as you can in a move, given the 5 seconds you have once you touch the orb you're going to move.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
Picked this up yesterday, haven't dug into it yet. Anyone else grab it? I played the demo quite a few times, found it pretty damn fun.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Picked this up yesterday, haven't dug into it yet. Anyone else grab it? I played the demo quite a few times, found it pretty damn fun.

Was hoping to pick this up today, but the wife had other plans and did not get a chance to stop in at BestBuy. Perhaps tomorrow.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm in world 3 of Super Mario so far, and I'm finding it like puzzle quest in that you either smoke the computers ass instantly with combos, or you end up continuing until game over. Your party make-up makes a big difference.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I'm in World 3 too struggling a little. I feel that way too, I'm either flying through stages or really struggling.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Yea I didn't think much when I first saw it but its kinda fun..

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've given up on this game and deleted it. Pokemon Shuffle has balance issues like this, but at least you can strong arm it with power ups. I never do microtransactions for them, I just wait until I build up enough cash.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I bought it out of sheer boredom a year ago on vacation and other than those few days regretted it despite the hours I put into it. The non-Mario part is the far better of the pair if you don't let Nintendo fanboyism of mascots kick in. It has a better tacked on story, better gear, key the game is far more evenly balanced and progressively more challenging, just more engaging. The Mario game has balancing issues, challenge is all over the board by stage, just straight up annoying and I suffered a distance into it and never went back. I don't own it any longer, I got tired of the formula in the end but more time by a margin on the pure P&D game.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i recently picked this up as well. I have to agree, the Mario stuff is not that great. It's hard to wrap your ahead around teams and gear with the Mario characters. Everything feels better on the dragon side, Plus it's just more interesting.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I thought the dragon side was too easy, and the mario side was too hard in parts. LoL

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Played this pretty intense for about two weeks. Got frustated with the Mario side (haven't tried the Dragon side) and stopped playing. I don't mind a little strategy with picking characters, etc., but this was a litle too much for me to enjoy it.