Gradius Collection: PSP or Saturn?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is any version clearly better than the other? I like my PSP but there's not a lot of info out there on it. Do the both contain the same games?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
PSP one has built in save states, or something like that.
Great for mobile use, but it will lead to exploiting. I remember being able to save, die, reload, and have all my weapons and options still.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If the PSP d-pad doesn't give you the urge to gouge out your eyes you're a better man than I.

The Saturn pad is awesome for fighting games, it's great for rolling motions. But in shmups that require precise handling, like salamander, I find it incredibly hard to use because it's so touchy. It's hard to just go down, or right without veering another direction.

The psp, or any playstation controller on the other hand is excellent for going a single direction, or for quick taps in a direction.

Both pads have their strengths, but I prefer a playstation pad for everything except fighters. That's not to say I don't love the Saturn pad. It's excellent and still does the job.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I've found that the PSP d-pad gets worse over time. My PSP-1000's pad is junk, but my 3000's was great - and i used that a LOT.

I wont even attempt to play Gradius on my 1000 with that awful fucking screen - the bullets disappear.

Great collection, tho. If I owned it, I'm sure I would prefer the Saturn version. That controller is still the best.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The PSP collection is excellent, but I never got much play on it since I just didn't really like playing the games on a portable that much.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I've never played the PSP version, but just based on their d-pads I'd have to vote for the Saturn. Or plug in a Japanese Virtua Figther Stick and it's pure bliss.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
PSP has 1-4 + Gaiden

Saturn only has 1 & 2.

This makes it difficult to compare them. I think both are good titles on their respective systems and are both worth owning. Personally though, my favorites are the III & IV combo and V on PS2.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
PSP has 1-4 + Gaiden

Saturn only has 1 & 2.

This makes it difficult to compare them. I think both are good titles on their respective systems and are both worth owning. Personally though, my favorites are the III & IV combo and V on PS2.

I already have the ps4 ones, and they are all excellent. I guess it would make sense to just get the Saturn one then unless Gaiden is really good. Plus you all seem to speak highly of the Saturn one. But I also feel like most of you have never played the PSP port. It might be good with my PSP component cables.

Have any of you ever played Gaiden? Surprisingly I have never heard of it.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've found that the PSP d-pad gets worse over time.

I bought a used PSP late last year and the d-pad was absolute trash. I opened up the system and gave everything a thorough cleaning and it was much better.

I haven't played the Saturn version of Gradius, but the PSP version scratches the itch for me. Plenty of games and a lot of different display options. I haven't put a ton of time into it though; if I'm going to do some shooting on the go I grab Salamander instead.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
The Deluxe pack does feature a piano rendition of the main theme when you beat the game. There's also a bonus CGI intro movie for the Saturn, PlayStation and PSP, which is the same in all versions. The DS version has full access to all of the dip switches, which is pretty cool.

I got this from Hardcore Gaming 101. Dunno if that piano rendition will sway you.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gradius Collection has all of the games except for Gradius V for obvious reasons. It also runs on the PSTV, playing the game full screen means I never have to go back to the crushed screen on the PSP version.

Frenetic

New Challenger
The PSP Gradius Collection / Gradius Portable (JP) has Gradius Gaiden which is amazing!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The PSP Gradius Collection / Gradius Portable (JP) has Gradius Gaiden which is amazing!

Yeah, each of those collections tends to have some type of bonus game, making them all worth owning if you like Konami shmups.

Salamander has Xexex and the MSX Gradius 2.
Parodius has an enhanced port of the original Parodius MSX game (which is insanely hard).
TwinBee has a remake of the Game Boy game TwinBee Da!

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
The PSP version has a lot of games, is inexpensive and is an overall nice collection. If you have a 2000 or 3000 you can output the video to a TV too.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I like the psp version but my puny eyes can't see the screen properly, ok with my reading glass's on.
Be great on a big tv though, i love the gradius and salamander games but i never knew there was a saturn version of gradius...

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Get the PC Engine chip version of 1, Salamander and the Super CD-Rom of 2. Then the PS2 collection for 3 and 4, and stand alone 5. Salamander 2 of course can only be played on the Saturn.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Gradius Gaiden is awesome on the psp collection. I also have the game for my japanese ps1. The fact you can play two players (at least on the ps1 version) simultaneously is pretty awesome. Get the salamander collection for japanese psp as well (or saturn version).

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
The PSP version has a lot of games, is inexpensive and is an overall nice collection. If you have a 2000 or 3000 you can output the video to a TV too.

Yeah, I can imagine playing this on the big screen would make the PSP version that much better.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'll probably go with the saturn purely for the controller.