Any game gear lovers here?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No hate for fucking Labyrinth Zone? Jesus. Christ. I always hated that level most.

Jungle was the best imo...
Labrynth was easily the worst Zone. But as I recall the 8-bit version of Sonic had that as well.

NeoEsteria

n00b
There's a lot to like about the GG's library. Some great RPGs here like the Shining Force games, Crystal Warriors (+ the sequel whose name I can't recall), Defenders of Oasis, and the Lunar & Phantasy Star spin-offs.

The biggest issue I've always had is the hardware itself. I bought one of the Shinobi games the other day and found it pretty damn difficult to play with all the screen ghosting and whatnot. I suppose this is half the reason I stick to RPGs for this system.

Still praying for a consolized Game Gear system someday.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It was like the Master System in that it didn't get much attention but it had some good games.

A handful are on VC on 3DS.

It got an excellent shining force game, which is on 3DS VC.

NeoEsteria

n00b
The entire Shining Force Gaiden trilogy is quite stellar. A shame only one got localized (The Sword of Hajya is actually Gaiden part II).

I've heard that Shining Force CD is something of a remake of those first two Gaiden games. I can't confirm it myself as I don't own it.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Shining Force CD is most definitely a remake of the first 2 GG games plus some exclusive content. And a totally badass orchestrated soundtrack:

NeoEsteria

n00b
Thanks for the info. It looks fantastic. The price is a bit off-putting. Then again, I bit the bullet and picked up part III a few months back so I may have to snag this one too.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Thanks for the info. It looks fantastic. The price is a bit off-putting. Then again, I bit the bullet and picked up part III a few months back so I may have to snag this one too.

Ive been tempted to get it too, along with Lunar Silver Star and eternal blue. All the sega cd rpgs are pretty badass.

NeoEsteria

n00b
I find the Lunar games to be a mixed bag, honestly. The cutscenes and voice acting were groundbreaking at the time - and still hold up today. But the combat in both games is rather dull, plus part 2 has that horrendous save system that deducts XP.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
plus part 2 has that horrendous save system that deducts XP.

Technically your magic XP which was separate from normal XP. And once you're a bit into the game, it's such a small amount that it's a nonissue.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I find the Lunar games to be a mixed bag, honestly. The cutscenes and voice acting were groundbreaking at the time - and still hold up today. But the combat in both games is rather dull, plus part 2 has that horrendous save system that deducts XP.

Ya i can see that, it is fairly basic in terms of combat. The voice acting and cutscenes did add ALOT to that game for me, not going to lie. It really helps to get into the story and bring the games alive. Chrono trigger is pretty basic with its combat but i still find that fun.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Got a Game Gear, psu, hard case, powerback, and four games off'f eBay for $35 shipped. Game Gear works, but has low volume on speaker (almost no volume) and missing one channel on head phones. The powerback, unsurprisingly, is toast, but I saw a video on the youtubes that showed a pretty simple Ni-mh replacement mod. Might end up doing that at some point.

Now someone needs to make a replacement lcd so I can ship it off to someone to be re-capped and upgraded all in one fell swoop.

Edit - Forgot to mention that I also picked up Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya for $14 shipped at about the same time.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Made it through the first chapter of SFII:TSoH, enjoying it so far. Fuck the Dark Mages, though.

Did an invetory of the games I still have and realized that managed to pick up a second copy of Poker Faced Paul's Black Jack when I was in Madison last month. Whoops. Oh well, you know what they say: Getting an additional copy of Poker Faced Paul's Black Jack, is like getting a new cousin in the family.

No, seriously, fuck the Dark Mages.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I have two game gears and like 25 games and I always like the portable, the games I play most are the sonic games, street of rage and shinobi, and some sport just for fun.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Just ordered Super Columns off of eBay. It's one of my favorite portable puzzle games ever.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
used to play a buddie's GG all the time at school during recess. Good to know its a buyers market might get back in :)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
used to play a buddie's GG all the time at school during recess. Good to know its a buyers market might get back in :)

Yes, I was happy to see how inexpensive the games were. Noob collectors are ruining the hobby for the rest of us by driving the prices throught the roof on most systems. Thankfully, due to the shitty screen, they haven't fucked up the Game Gear yet. The only GG related thing I thought was pricy are the systems, but the games by and large are stupid cheap.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, a lot of the GG games are pretty solid. I'm hoping to add video out to one in the near future thanks to the boards viletim made.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I had a GG growing up... Ate batteries like a mofo. I had the sonic games and a few others. I want to find another one sometime.

Genki

n00b
I have Game Gear and some fun games can be found. Or with an adapter some fun SMS games too. (or use Everdrive and skip the adapter) Nothing like the original Phantasy Star on the road. I have 3 different variant of Game Gear, the 2 ASIC and 1 ASIC black model and a Majesco model. Majesco model does look slightly better but not much.

Someone at Atariage forum was just done making a mod board with new LCD to replace the crappy LCD. He hasn't officially started selling any but if you check McWill you can find out how to get one.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have Game Gear and some fun games can be found. Or with an adapter some fun SMS games too. (or use Everdrive and skip the adapter) Nothing like the original Phantasy Star on the road. I have 3 different variant of Game Gear, the 2 ASIC and 1 ASIC black model and a Majesco model. Majesco model does look slightly better but not much.

Someone at Atariage forum was just done making a mod board with new LCD to replace the crappy LCD. He hasn't officially started selling any but if you check McWill you can find out how to get one.

Links, plz.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The McWill lynx screen is amazing, but it's about $150 plus you install.

I would be all over a gamegear mod because the library is far superior....