Any game gear lovers here?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The game gear is my first portable system, but it fed a long long time ago. I have a few games for it, may end up picking one up as long as it is recently recapped.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I love the Game Gear as a kid, hell I even used it in the early 2000s when I was in boarding school, we weren't allowed to have TVs in our dorm rooms so I used my TV tuner on my GG to watch Jay Leno and the Simpsons under my sheets in bed :lolz: man kids have it easy now with their netflix and smart phones.

K-9999

n00b
This was my first system got it when I was 8 right at the beginning of the 90s (90 or 91 can't remember). I think I have around 15 games or so. The most memorable were Sonic 2, Axe Battler (Golden Axe), Devilish, Taz (first one, super hard), Arena (isometric RPG game).

Loved it. I tried to start it last year after over 20years of sleep but it wouldn't start (white flash on screen and then nothing).

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Loved it. I tried to start it last year after over 20years of sleep but it wouldn't start (white flash on screen and then nothing).

Super common issue with game gears, SEGA used cheap capacitors in the Game Gears and they are now starting to fail. Just needs a new cap kit.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It had some good games but I wouldn't play the real thing anymore due to the shit screen.
Always preferred the GG/Master System version of Sonic 1 over the Mega Drive one.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
It had some good games but I wouldn't play the real thing anymore due to the shit screen.
Always preferred the GG/Master System version of Sonic 1 over the Mega Drive one.

The system desperately needs a replacement screen. It was definitely my favorite handheld of that generation.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i found one someone left under the cushion of a charter bus in 5th grade. I played it for about a week before some bastard kid stole it from my backpack. I've since gotten a couple more and modded them. Was working on the GGTV mod a while ago but ran into some snags with time and garage space.

Lol shit that sucks man, easy come easy go i guess. What exactly does the GGTV mod do..or attempting to do?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The thing did absolutely suck batteries, in the first 3 months i had it we probably spent more on AA batteries than we did on the system itself. I uste to have a pretty pimped out collection of games, sad part is i dont even remember all the games i had...maybe if i had them in front of me i would but not off the top of my head so that would make it a bitch to replace my collection.

I found out recently that shining force cd is basically a remake of the gg shining force. Been really tempted to pick up, its unfortunate its a $200 game these days.

MayhemJB

n00b
Lol shit that sucks man, easy come easy go i guess. What exactly does the GGTV mod do..or attempting to do?

The GGTV mod lets you play your game gear on a TV! It's friggin sweet! Some guy in Australia sells a kit for it. Think his name is vile Tim or something like that. Google GGTV and Tim it should get you there. I did it along with a region mod. Now I'm trying to make a consolized Game Gear, and adding a master system caryridge slot.

Best part about the mod is some games like castle of illusion are shown in full screen just like a Master system.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
The GG was my first handheld, bought a few weeks after its release. Use to make fun of Game boy owners. I still own like 14 games but yeah the screen is really bad needs a mod.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

That's why I've never really been in a huge hurry to open my dead one up and figure out what's wrong. Much as I love the games, that screen hurts, now. And same, MS/GG Sonic for life.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Grew up with the Game Gear, but I can't stomach going back to it due to the shitty screen (plus my sound is dead until if/when I get the caps replaced). Anyone around here experienced with the GGTV mod and want some of my cash?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
The screen is still blurry shit.

I had someone replace the fluorescent backlight on mine with the backlight from a Nintendo DS, it should be arriving today. I will post pics on how it looks. Also the Majesco version game gear has a much better screen, not any better resolution but not nearly as much motion blur as the originals.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I still have my Game Gear and about 20+ games for it. As a kid it was the fucking awesome thing I could have had. I have the bulky ass huge magnifier for it, along with the joystick attachment for the d-pad, the carrying case, with strap. Gonna have to dig that beast out now that guys got me thinking about it. My favs were always Sonic, Judge Dread, and Power Rangers (bite me was a decent fighting game! for the time!)

Only reason why it died in my house was parents got sick of it sucking up 6 AAA batteries considering I played the hell outta it. Ended up leaving it home most times and always playing it off of the AC adapter. Good times.

I had someone replace the fluorescent backlight on mine with the backlight from a Nintendo DS, it should be arriving today. I will post pics on how it looks. Also the Majesco version game gear has a much better screen, not any better resolution but not nearly as much motion blur as the originals.

Totally post up some pics Ninja! Didn't know Majesco's version game gear had a better screen... well that just got added to my list xD

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Hey EllertMichael, is that a sonic the hedgehog moist towelette on the EII?

Why, yes. Yes, it is.
Spoiler:
oepv4HU.jpg

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
+1.

Also, what the fuck were SEGA thinking when they included the Game Gear versions of Sonic 1 & 2 on the Sonic Collection (PS2, GCN etc) instead of the Master System versions??

I had a GG up until last year, just to play GGS1, GGS2 and Ninja Gaiden. I since downloaded the GG emulator (etc) for my Xperia PLAY (sorry Shroom) so, I gave it away to a friend who wanted it...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This was my first system so it has a special place in my heart. Whats the opinion on it these days? The games seem to be dirt cheap so there doesnt seem like theres a high demand for them.
I used to have one. It was great playing games like Sonic the Hedgehog while travelling. But it chewed through batteries. It wasn't like it is now, where you have alkaline and rechargeable batteries. Six AA's that had to be replaced after about 3-5 hours of play. The Gameboy could run for more than 30 hours on four AA's.

The Lynx was also a good system. Some good games like Rygar, Gauntlet and Zarlor Mercenary. I never played the Game Boy. At the time, I couldn't see why it was so popular, especially in America, with the monochrome screen (green rather than black), and basic graphics. I suppose it was cheap compared to the Game Gear, had decent battery life, and it had Tetris and the Mario games. But the Game Gear was the better system overall, and the Lynx didn't have the range of games that the other two portables had. I don't know if the TurboExpress was ever officially released in Australia, but it didn't have Mario or Sonic either, which mattered to people in those days. It also chewed through batteries, just like the Game Gear.

It is possible to get RGB output from a Game Gear. I definitely thought the GG/Master System version of Sonic 1 had some things the Mega Drive version didn't. The levels were different, and it had some different synthesized music.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
As much as i have fond memories of my game gear, i hate to say it but its probably a system thats best emulated at this point. Our eyes have been spoiled by HD lcd screens and it would probably be unplayable.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
+1.

Also, what the fuck were SEGA thinking when they included the Game Gear versions of Sonic 1 & 2 on the Sonic Collection (PS2, GCN etc) instead of the Master System versions??

I had a GG up until last year, just to play GGS1, GGS2 and Ninja Gaiden. I since downloaded the GG emulator (etc) for my Xperia PLAY (sorry Shroom) so, I gave it away to a friend who wanted it...

What I can't stand about sonic on mega drive is that stupid fucking marble zone. First they let you go full speed in green hill zone, then they force you into that shit level which requires precise jumps and waiting for platforms or whatever. The 8-bit versions didn't do that.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
As much as i have fond memories of my game gear, i hate to say it but its probably a system thats best emulated at this point. Our eyes have been spoiled by HD lcd screens and it would probably be unplayable.
I'd have to agree, I'd find it hard to go back to the Game Gear (and 8-bit systems in general, apart from certain games, like Super Mario 1 and 3). I wouldn't play a handheld now unless it was at least 16-bit, and could play games like SFII.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
What I can't stand about sonic on mega drive is that stupid fucking marble zone. First they let you go full speed in green hill zone, then they force you into that shit level which requires precise jumps and waiting for platforms or whatever. The 8-bit versions didn't do that.
No hate for fucking Labyrinth Zone? Jesus. Christ. I always hated that level most.

Jungle was the best imo...