CPS2 black screen without sound

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I bought a broken Xmen COTA B board a few weeks ago, assuming it just needed a phoenix. When I got it I plugged it in and had a black screen with no sound. I know suicided boards are usually a colored screen but I ended up phoenixing it anyway to see if that was the problem. No dice.

I tried shorting the ex caps and leaving all of the eproms disconnected for a couple of days just to get rid of any residual encryption/charge but I'm still just getting a black screen. I've tried plugging it into different A boards as well. Is it just dead?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Your going to have to start looking over the PCB for damaged traces in that case (or issues with the four 'a' to 'b' board connectors). Pay close attention to the area around where the battery would have been. I guess you removed the battery also?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Is the 68k getting clock/resetting? That would be the first thing to check.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Your going to have to start looking over the PCB for damaged traces in that case (or issues with the four 'a' to 'b' board connectors). Pay close attention to the area around where the battery would have been. I guess you removed the battery also?

Yeah, I removed the battery. So far I haven't found any damaged traces. I was thinking it could be something with the connecto

Is the 68k getting clock/resetting? That would be the first thing to check.

How would I check that? I haven't really messed around with CPS2 before.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Make sure your board set is getting +5.00v, or close to +5.00v.

If your psu is set way way way low, the board will not start up (aka black screen).

Sometimes change overs from small Jamma board to large multi-layered board sets can cause this.

Last edited:

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well this is strange. I just tested it in my XMvSF cab instead of my blast city, and in there I'm getting a very suicide looking screen. I wonder if one of the other roms is bad? I also tested voltage and it is getting 5v at jamma edge.

http://i.imgur.com/hyXQFej.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Remove all the program roms: check sum these, and verify these are all good. Replace any bad ones.

If all good, then leave all the program roms off the board, and put a CPS2 suicide tester on the board, and re-test the "B" board.

If the "B" board tests all good, then proceed to revive.

Last edited:

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Remove all the program roms: check sum these, and verify these are all good. Replace any bad ones.

If all good, then leave all the program roms off the board, and put a CPS2 suicide tester on the board, and re-test the "B" board.

If the "B" board tests all good, then proceed to revive.

Awesome. I'll get a Suicide tester and see how it goes.