How many official Neo Geo game can you own without owning a Neo Geo?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I've been thinking about this for a while.

First up...emulation on your computer or PSP doesn't count.

With all of the officially released compilations (Classics Vol. 1, Battle Archives etc.), Virtual Console, PSN, XBLA, etc...how many non-homebrew/prototype games would be missing without owning an original SNK console or machine? I'll allow the Neo Geo X to slide, and loop it into this grouping as a "legal" way to own the games. That takes care of a few weird ones like 3 Count, Mutation Nation, etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a part of a compilation. ViewPoint on the PS1 is a good example.

Let's see what we can come up with. Most gaming sites are blocked on this company intranet, and luckily this forum is not. :cool:
A lot of the best Neo Geo series, like SS, Metal Slug, KOF have been released on other systems, like PSX, PS2, X-box, etc. The ones that haven't either aren't popular or profitable enough to release on other systems. But there can be games that are good (for example, Shock Troopers), or decent, but weren't popular enough to get a release on any system (for a long time), and when they were, it was as part of a collection, rather than a stand-alone release. Most Neo Geo games are/were more popular in Japan than the rest of the world, so the Last Blade Games, for example, were only released on PS2 in Japan.

Not sure if you want to count this, but there is a 'Sonic Wings Special' PSX game...
The Sonic Wings arcade game series continued after Sonic Wings 3, with more advanced graphics than were possible on the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
a somewhat complete list. Anything stand out as odd?

Samuari Shodown 5 Special - Wii/PS2 (SS Anthology)
stands out as odd to me...compared to wikipedia_Games included:
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown III
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V
Samurai Shodown VI_can't change it to this as its snk but not neo

and that I always see it said here that it has no non neo releases, because it was the finale or whatever.

so yeah I'm saying ssvs seems odd.

Last edited:

RickyHenry

n00b
Here are a few more:

Matrimelee, Pochi & Nyaa - Japanese PS2
Money Idol Exchanger - Japanese PS1
Both Stakes Winner games - Japanese Saturn
Panic Bomber - Virtual Boy, SFC, PCE CD

Samsho also came out on 3DO
Bust-a-Move also came out on SNES

Thank you! I will update the list with these additions! I am still sorta iffy about adding ports to the SNES and other weaker consoles.

Vulpine

n00b
Opening up to the other 16-bits does add quite a few more to the collection. Fatal Fury (1, 2, and Special), Art of Fighting, and Samurai Shodown were all released on the Genesis/Mega Drive and the SNES. Not completely faithfully, but they're there. Viewpoint also got a Mega Drive port.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
stands out as odd to me...compared to wikipedia_Games included:
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown III
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V
Samurai Shodown VI_can't change it to this as its snk but not neo

and that I always see it said here that it has no non neo releases, because it was the finale or whatever.

so yeah I'm saying ssvs seems odd.

You're right, I've got this anthology, and I can tell you it does not contain SSVS.

Also, one more minor amendment, all the Art of Fighting games are available on the Wii VC, not just the first one.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Opening up to the other 16-bits does add quite a few more to the collection. Fatal Fury (1, 2, and Special), Art of Fighting, and Samurai Shodown were all released on the Genesis/Mega Drive and the SNES. Not completely faithfully, but they're there. Viewpoint also got a Mega Drive port.

False, Viewpoint was ported in US for Genesis the megadrive versions are fakes.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You're right, I've got this anthology, and I can tell you it does not contain SSVS.

Also, one more minor amendment, all the Art of Fighting games are available on the Wii VC, not just the first one.
Can't see why SSVS hasn't been released on any other console, including the SS Anthology on PS2. Apparently they wanted to keep it exclusive to the MVS/AES, but the Neo was discontinued by SNK back in 2004, so I can't see why it's important to keep it exclusive. Also, SSVS Final Edition has never been released either. You'd think they could have easily had included SSVS Final Edition on the PS2 SS Anthology, as they don't have to produce a a cartridge like they would for an AES release.
Shodown V Special is way better than Samurai Shodown V, if only for the fact that Tokugawa Yoshitora doesn't totally dominate in Special, like he does in SSV.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Sengoku anthology on the ps2 is also pretty solid. Was a pal release only though.

Oh wow never even heard of this one. Why the heck did it not get a release in other regions.

And here all these years i've been thinking Sengoku 3 never got a console release.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You can virtually have almost every title that people consider worth owning.

RickyHenry

n00b
The one I find the most trivial is WindJammers. Why was this not included on the Data East disc for Wii?

NeoEsteria

n00b
Some nice lists guys. Much appreciated. As a budget-conscious gamer I generally will go for a port and only look towards MVS/AES if that's the only version available.

And sometimes I feel like the only person who enjoyed the Neo Geo X. :snack: