New "Retro VGS" 2D Cartridge-based console

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
...and out come the fucking vultures. Another excuse for them to charge an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre games.

But dude...they will have HUGE meg count man...I'm talking 6-700 megabits here brother. Do you think that ROM just grows on trees?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
From my understanding indy developers profit margins are minimal for the major consoles. So even though the installed bases are much larger they would make more profit for each individual sale on the Retro vgs. Game prices will range from 20 to 50 dollars, with major titles like shovel knight being in the higher price range. Who knows if they can pull this off or not, but I'm just tried of the current gen nonsense of DRM, Games being broken, download only, etc. This console won't have Internet connection, so game developers can't rely on a patch for a broken game. I want to purchase a physical copy of a game that doesn't require updates and unlike downloads I can sell or trade if I'd like.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
...and out come the fucking vultures. Another excuse for them to charge an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre games.
If they charged Dreamcast pricing for the carts it could be pretty neat. Of course, I'd rather they just release it on Dreamcast.

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
This console won't have Internet connection, so game developers can't rely on a patch for a broken game. I want to purchase a physical copy of a game that doesn't require updates and unlike downloads I can sell or trade if I'd like.

Here are the update notes for Shovel Knight. If the cartridge version launched day and date with digital you'd be missing all these fixes. If it didn't launch day and date... well, I think the market of people willing to wait six months to play the definitive version of Shovel Knight is going to be pretty small.

(Obviously Shovel Knight will be in good shape by the time this launches, but think Shovel Knight 2)

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I understand that some games will have bugs, I'm fine with this. There's bugs and glitches in a bunch of older cart based games. I'm talking about games that are completely fucked because the developer had to make a release date or whatever reason. I mean day day one you're downloading a fucking 3 gig patch for some of this nonsense. Obviously games won't be this large on the retro vgs but you get my point. They're pushing for mostly 2D based games with some 3D capabilities, maybe just enough juice to run a game like mighty no. 9 for example but mostly 16 to 24 bit Genesis/ Neo Geo type graphics.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
put this shell on a steam box, and you'll have all the pixel goodness you want.
I cant keep up with all the lovely pixel games on Steam.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
From my understanding indy developers profit margins are minimal for the major consoles. So even though the installed bases are much larger they would make more profit for each individual sale on the Retro vgs. Game prices will range from 20 to 50 dollars, with major titles like shovel knight being in the higher price range. Who knows if they can pull this off or not, but I'm just tried of the current gen nonsense of DRM, Games being broken, download only, etc. This console won't have Internet connection, so game developers can't rely on a patch for a broken game. I want to purchase a physical copy of a game that doesn't require updates and unlike downloads I can sell or trade if I'd like.

...Because that's what it ultimately comes down to - money.

put this shell on a steam box, and you'll have all the pixel goodness you want.
I cant keep up with all the lazy, "retro-styled" trash on Steam.

FTFY

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Steam is awesome, I have a bunch of titles I purchased there, but what happens if steam goes under in 10 years? What happens to all the games I purchased? More than likely, if I don't have them stored on a hard drive, I've lost them forever. This is my main reason for having interest in a console like the Retro Vgs. I'm all about owning physical copies, current gen consoles are moving away from this. Plus carts are superior to cds, no load times, Carts are sturdier, and memory is so much cheaper, it's not like when the nintendo 64 was around and carts were expensive to produce. Plus cd based consoles are more likely to break down quicker.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Steam is awesome, I have a bunch of titles I purchased there, but what happens if steam goes under in 10 years? What happens to all the games I purchased? More than likely, if I don't have them stored on a hard drive, I've lost them forever. This is my main reason for having interest in a console like the Retro Vgs. I'm all about owning physical copies, current gen consoles are moving away from this. Plus carts are superior to cds, no load times, Carts are sturdier, and memory is so much cheaper, it's not like when the nintendo 64 was around and carts were expensive to produce. Plus cd based consoles are more likely to break down quicker.

If history has taught anything, its that the industry doesnt care about "10 years from now".

10 years from now, there will be some other hunk of crap that caters to the "nostalgia" that they can get money from.

Carts are no more reliable than CD's - at some point even the almighty cartridge will break down.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Carts aren't infinite, but they'll probably out last cds.. and yeah they're targeting me with the nostalgia of a cart bases system. But many of the games I'm interested in are indy retro inspired games, so if given a choice of download only or a cart. It's an easy choice. I hope this happens, I'll support it. I think if they can get great indy support this could be successful.

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
I think if they can get great indy support this could be successful.

I do understand the longevity concerns... but I think part of the indie appeal is a combination of low price and instant gratification. This initiative flies in the face of both: they're gonna be more expensive and harder to get.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Carts aren't infinite, but they'll probably out last cds.. and yeah they're targeting me with the nostalgia of a cart bases system. But many of the games I'm interested in are indy retro inspired games, so if given a choice of download only or a cart. It's an easy choice. I hope this happens, I'll support it. I think if they can get great indy support this could be successful.

It's ultimately your money, and you're welcome to do with it what you wish.

Enjoy your constant Kickstarter campaigns and vaporware.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Your pessimism is understandible, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance this happens, maybe a bit less. I'll keep an eye on it, if they have compelling titles at launch and the price is reasonable I'll bite.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Also, while the relationship between video game magazines and video games publishers has always been incestuous, this seems to take it to a whole new level.

I'm sure we can count on Retro Magazine to have completely unbiased comprehensive coverage of the Retro VGS and it's sure-to-be-bountiful library of games. Hopefully they'll have "Sneak Peek at Upcoming Games" vaporware articles to keep the spark of hope alive.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Ha ha, I gotta give the guy credit. He created a vehicle to promote his product. No different than nintendo power I suppose. A Wait and see approach is probably in order is all I'm saying. For many guys this isn't gonna appeal, but I suspect there's enough demand for such a product that this could succeed.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
A piece of shit project, take my word for it...I had a vision.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I've never known your visions to be wrong... I was foolish to dream, forgive me..

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's ok dreamer, when people truly care for what they do and know what they are doing, only then will we see the light, until then forget these heretics.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think our PCs do a good enough job, if only we could get a 240P video card we would be all set!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Get out! I got one of them Arcade VGA and yeah now it makes sense, it is an AGP Radeon card on a Vaio P4, ancient rig I had set up with a J-Pac. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna look into it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If history has taught us anything, it's that we probably won't care in 10 years.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I don't get it...what's the point?

So collectards can waste their money buying shit games made by other collectards.

So "celebrities" on YouTube can make shitty videos about shitty games on a shitty niche console and call it a "NEW RETRO SYSTEM".

Take your pick.