New "Retro VGS" 2D Cartridge-based console

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The tagline of this very site is 'the epitome of retro gaming' which grates on me a bit too.

I'm relatively new round here, I wonder if anyone knows when this was introduced on the site? Was it ever just 'the epitome of gaming'?

No idea, guess Shawn or Bobak put it in, and yeah, it's annoying as hell.

Epitome of gaming? Epitome of drama and endless waffle, more like.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Seriously, where do I sign up to get endless waffles?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No idea, guess Shawn or Bobak put it in, and yeah, it's annoying as hell.

Epitome of gaming? Epitome of drama and endless waffle, more like.

I remember it being "The Mecca of retro gaming" or some shit like that for a time.

That was so Bobak...

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
A waste of time. However, plenty of idiots with money will back it. Likely one of the key points on the in house Powerpoint.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I envision this going the way of the Ouya.

Like others have said, it's all about the games. It needs exclusives. I don't want ports of games I can get on the other 15 systems I have.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I envision this going the way of the Ouya.

Like others have said, it's all about the games. It needs exclusives. I don't want ports of games I can get on the other 15 systems I have.

The Ouya is actually a respectable little machine for what it is. I don't think this will do even that well.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
The Ouya is actually a respectable little machine for what it is. I don't think this will do even that well.

Yeah, at least the android platform was relevant. I hear they're good for media streaming too. This new console won't be nearly as useful when it tanks.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wii at 240p should be an excellent machine for homebrew other than emulation. Done deal.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The article says 12 games are likely to launch with it. That list better be good.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

agreed.

I got my money's worth for sure with it.

I still think this would have been a near perfect system had it had a better controller. It keeps having problems with bluetooth on my PS3 controller.

When I say near perfect, I mean near perfect for a rom box.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I use a Logitech wireless controller that has a little USB plug. Works much better with the Ouya than PS3 or PS4 controllers, and no lag in the emulators. The analogs on the thing are almost useless though, but the digital pad is excellent.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Looks like NG dev team is inquiring about developing for this console. I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Looks like they're targeting the indy community for games. Tons of games that I would love to own physical copies of. Axiom Verge, shovel knight, etc.. This will not be an Android based console btw.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I wonder if it will have a start up animation and audio clip before games start, like the Jaguar did.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dion did NOT coin the term AES, I think NGH is lame. Neo-Geo AES is OK.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NGH sounds kinda dumb, I wonder why didn't they called it NGC or NGD as in Deck. AES, well, it's dumb too 'cause it doesn't really says what it is. Neither does MVS but it still is king. CPS1,2 and 3 comes close.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Maybe they will finally put some dust flaps on that thing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maybe they will finally put some dust flaps on that thing.

Rumor 'round the rumor mill is you are a BIG fan of the dust flaps....
Spoiler:
..."flaps" being the small folds of skin that form when a fella pulls his shit back between his legs to make those panties fit naturally...

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
"We don’t want to have any network connectivity, any of that stuff. We just want to plug in a cartridge, flip the on button, the game works out of the box. It’s not going to require patches and all this stuff."

With the advent of digital I think most indie developers heavily rely on the ability to update their titles post launch (and on early adopters to do QA) -- so you'll either be stuck with buggy, outdated games, or waiting a long time for the final, final, final version of the game to hit the cartridge format.

Also, while the relationship between video game magazines and video games publishers has always been incestuous, this seems to take it to a whole new level.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Will be interesting to see what happens with this. Personally I don't feel it will catch on. Madasgardian is right. Why would you develop for this as an indie developer, when you can do it for ps4/Xbox one, I just don't see the incentive. None-the-less I'll watch with interest.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Looks like NG dev team is inquiring about developing for this console.

...and out come the fucking vultures. Another excuse for them to charge an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre games.