Koji Igarashi announces Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, launches Kickstarter page

Marek

Banned
The passion for games is gone, definitely. Nothing about it excites me anymore, I don't even know why I posted that swordorwhip link.

supergoose also called Shroom a troll but it's funny how there were a lot of castlevania games within a (relatively) short amount of time. ten years ago there was a hate for igavanias, all the while i really, really liked them (harmony of dissonance is the best btw). people complained there were too many, it didn't matter to me because it was the same deal with mega man - i liked these games, i don't care if there's zero innovation, they're fun.

so tbh this is really strange, i'm amazed this little project is getting such a ridiculous amount of support when people couldn't give a fuck less about castlevanias on the DS. i don't like kickstarters or patreons either, that's a topic for another thread. these people putting down their 100 dollars, this game won't come out for - at bare minimum - two more YEARS, it's insane.

what's more is that this is just a reminder that there'll probably never be a Julius 99 game. that's the worst part right there.

Ugh you're depressing me stage.

You don't like kick starter? You can't seriously feel that way. Kick starter is an incredible invention and opportunity for all kinds of passionate people.

You have such scorn for capitalist american cesspool, comrade Rice.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm not against the concept of a kickstarter necessarily, but I think Lonesage and Ki bring up some valid points.

I mean, this guy has gotten over a million dollars to fund a project that is very far away and we don't even have a single screen shot for it. There is something about that which does not sit well with me. If this is a labor of love, then something more tangible should have been put together and presented to make people say "yes, this looks great and I want to see this come out and I will support you to make sure that happens". Otherwise it just feels like someone is just resting on their past accomplishments and that automatically entitles them to my hard earned money. I don't like that.

I know I am being harsh and dumbing it down quite a bit, but that's how I feel at the moment. I haven't backed it yet, though I still might. But it will probably just be at the $60 level for a physical copy. I'd love to have an art book, but I can't justify plunking down $165 (after shipping) on something I know so little about.

Marek

Banned
Would it make you all feel better if K$ had a ceiling for funding that the Dev had to set up so there's a min and max bound for any given project?

Marek

Banned
Would it make you all feel better if K$ had a ceiling for funding that the Dev had to set up so there's a min and max bound for funding any given project?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Would it make you all feel better if K$ had a ceiling for funding that the Dev had to set up so there's a min and max bound for funding any given project?

Not necessarily. Assuming the end product is good, I have no problem with Iga getting a ton of money and getting rich off this game because as Taiso said it is proof of what consumers want and that should send a clear message to publishers - which is a very good thing.

I guess I just find it weird you can raise a million dollars for a project without providing any substantial information about that project.

This is on the other extreme and probably unrealistic, but ideally I'd like to see anyone doing a kickstarter for a game to have a demo, or at least a video of some gameplay showing they already invested a lot of time and energy into the product and say "this is what I have so far, but I need $$$ to make this happen". Something more tangible. Something that shows they already put a lot of thought, time and energy into getting this thing off the ground themselves. I don't really feel that with this. Just feels too easy, like he didn't earn it.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I guess I just find it weird you can raise a million dollars for a project without providing any substantial information about that project.

This is on the other extreme and probably unrealistic, but ideally I'd like to see anyone doing a kickstarter for a game to have a demo, or at least a video of some gameplay showing they already invested a lot of time and energy into the product and say "this is what I have so far, but I need $$$ to make this happen". Something more tangible. Something that shows they already put a lot of thought, time and energy into getting this thing off the ground themselves. I don't really feel that with this. Just feels too easy, like he didn't earn it.

If this was some geek off the street doing a game in this style I would agree with you in wanting to see tangible stuff but in this case Iga has 7 games that IMO were fucking amazing so I can trust him to deliver without initially seeing any kind of progress. If Iga is a faggot as shroom says consider me Freddie Mercury. Backed.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Happy to see Igarashi is giving Konami a middle finger and is moving on with his passion. True though, those handheld castlevania ' s were brilliant.

Can't wait to see what they can get done without "The Man" telling him where to shit.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
New stretch goals and now a digital special edition.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder

Eh, Drift Stage did that, and that was just a few dudes making a game about cars going fast sideways, and it sold me on their Kickstarter so hard that I couldn't put in my credit card information fast enough. I was literally having more fun with the one track demo than with games I paid $60 for.

On the other hand, this is an entirely different type of game, and it is Igarashi. He's well established. I have no doubt he'll be able to produce a game well. Not every established person or company is Double Fine.

Still, I don't feel quite so enthusiastic about backing Iga's game now than I did after I played the Drift Stage demo. The two music tracks on Iga's Kickstarter page do sound good, though, and it's making me want to get the soundtrack edition. I like what they've shown of the art, too. The girl is very pretty. I might spring for the artbook edition. Damn, it's expensive, though. At least there's still a month.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ugh you're depressing me stage.

You don't like kick starter? You can't seriously feel that way. Kick starter is an incredible invention and opportunity for all kinds of passionate people.

You have such scorn for capitalist american cesspool, comrade Rice.

sorry bro, i need to lay off the bottle, it makes me sad too.

kickstarter is a great idea, yeah, that's why everyone's trying it nowadays. the problem is waiting for the product to finish AND receiving it. there have been a ton of times where people've donated their money to amateurs with a nifty idea and not much else, with them losing their shit in the process and not delivering.

i know this isn't how it is all the time, it's just the problem with kickstarter is...people. people who aren't professionals trying to accomplish something outside their reach.

again that's a topic for a different thread.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
sorry bro, i need to lay off the bottle, it makes me sad too.

kickstarter is a great idea, yeah, that's why everyone's trying it nowadays. the problem is waiting for the product to finish AND receiving it. there have been a ton of times where people've donated their money to amateurs with a nifty idea and not much else, with them losing their shit in the process and not delivering.

i know this isn't how it is all the time, it's just the problem with kickstarter is...people. people who aren't professionals trying to accomplish something outside their reach.

again that's a topic for a different thread.

Good post. This conversation should have a thread.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
It's being developed by Inti Creates aka ex-Capcom Vets along with Igarashi with Yamane composing. Far from amateurs. I get where some of you are coming from though.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's being developed by Inti Creates aka ex-Capcom Vets along with Igarashi with Yamane composing. Far from amateurs. I get where some of you are coming from though.

Honestly, for me, seeing Inti Creates name on anything will make me buy it, no questions asked. I mean, the Mega Man Zero series alone makes those guys legendary, let alone a recent gem like Gunvolt.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Yeah my previous post was not directed at this kickstarter. It was a rant against kickstarter as a whole.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Just tired of all these people buttriding their past successes instead of trying to create something original. ..Inafune, Chris Roberts, that Elite guy, Richard Garriot...so boring.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Just tired of all these people buttriding their past successes instead of trying to create something original. ..Inafune, Chris Roberts, that Elite guy, Richard Garriot...so boring.

that's one way to look at it - another would be, that's just what they do, it's all they know, and it can't be a bad thing if it's sincere and comes from a realm of creativity.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

Understandable but their ain't much money in new stuff cause if there was then Platinum would have higher selling games

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Dammit...

Spoiler:

Backed...

Spoiler:

...only because I like how short Miriam's skirt is.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Completely agreed, and it's not limited to video games either. Everywhere you look, people are digging up old crap and make lotsa $$$ with it.

Rehash, retro, call it what you like, all the same bollocks. One should think that with all the cool new technology, it would be possible to come up with something truly new, innovative and exciting but it obviously is way more promising to rehash an old concept... oh well.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Completely agreed, and it's not limited to video games either. Everywhere you look, people are digging up old crap and make lotsa $$$ with it.

Rehash, retro, call it what you like, all the same bollocks. One should think that with all the cool new technology, it would be possible to come up with something truly new, innovative and exciting but it obviously is way more promising to rehash an old concept... oh well.

As Taiso stated, there has to be a mix of innovation and relying on what has worked in the past. Just how people now want to play RE games that hearken back to the old style. Hopefully there are innovative things in this game that makes it stand out from his past works,but also build upon his past works to make something awesome. I backed at $100 when it was first announced because i love the iga castlevania games, and metroidvania games in general.

This is what Iga does. He makes these types of games. It reminds me a lot of arguments you hear about the music industry. A band that is known for a certain style decides to switch it up, and people hate it. There just has to be a balance of the old and the new

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

- 2.5D
- a chance to breakaway from Castlevania, its Bosses, Bestiary, and lore. Start fresh.
- Continue forward with a platformer with action RPG elements in a gothic setting on a console.
- Use of current gen console and PC Hardware.

I consider that radically different than say Inafune just taking Mega Man and rebranding him Mighty No. 9 and mixing elements from previous titles with a few new things.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Its fucking Castlevania painted in slightly different colors. Get real.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
- 2.5D
- a chance to breakaway from Castlevania, its Bosses, Bestiary, and lore. Start fresh.
- Continue forward with a platformer with action RPG elements in a gothic setting on a console.
- Use of current gen console and PC Hardware.

I consider that radically different than say Inafune just taking Mega Man and rebranding him Mighty No. 9 and mixing elements from previous titles with a few new things.

Are you in denial? This is clearly an igavania without the CV ip.