Koji Igarashi announces Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, launches Kickstarter page

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Holy crap looks like this is going to hit $1 million tonight - when did it start?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Holy crap looks like this is going to hit $1 million tonight - when did it start?

It's just further proof that publishers don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I've been saying it since Dark Souls came out.

Make the best game you can, staying true to its theme, on a modest budget.

Release it at a fair price point.

The fans will buy it and you will make a profit because you didn't break the bank making it.

This is how business is done.

Why the fuck can't companies like Konami, Capcom and Square Enix understand this?

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

The fans will buy it and you will make a profit because you didn't break the bank making it.

Why the fuck can't companies like Konami, Capcom and Square Enix understand this?

Can't agree more. Decided to back it at $100 after all :buttrock:

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I agree with yall as well. im planning to back 60 bucks on it. this deserves to be successful.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
probably going to be deemed a twatty idea but wouldn't it be cool if there was something akin to a kickstarter console system - where all games where made via the backing from players?
the kind of games that would become the library would potentially be very interesting.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Funded quicker than Mighty No. 9. That's freakin impressive.

Steveotron

n00b

This is true, when a game sells a million copies and the company says it hasn't made enough profit or reached there expectations. Then something is seriously wrong with your business model. Yeah I'm looking at you Square-Enix!

I like inti creates, that gunvolt game they did was good, and that little 8 bit mighty Gunvolt was ace. Prob going to back this, backed Mighty No 9.

Last edited:

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Backed at $150, looks like stretch goal makes the artbook hardcover. Didn't back Mighty No. 9 but will definitely pick up the retail release on Sept. 15th. Backed Yooka-Laylee as well. Look forward to seeing how both of these projects progress!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You're turning into a typical disapproving Chinese mom.

The passion for games is gone, definitely. Nothing about it excites me anymore, I don't even know why I posted that swordorwhip link.

supergoose also called Shroom a troll but it's funny how there were a lot of castlevania games within a (relatively) short amount of time. ten years ago there was a hate for igavanias, all the while i really, really liked them (harmony of dissonance is the best btw). people complained there were too many, it didn't matter to me because it was the same deal with mega man - i liked these games, i don't care if there's zero innovation, they're fun.

so tbh this is really strange, i'm amazed this little project is getting such a ridiculous amount of support when people couldn't give a fuck less about castlevanias on the DS. i don't like kickstarters or patreons either, that's a topic for another thread. these people putting down their 100 dollars, this game won't come out for - at bare minimum - two more YEARS, it's insane.

what's more is that this is just a reminder that there'll probably never be a Julius 99 game. that's the worst part right there.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Great to see Iga getting to do what he loves. He's a likeable weirdo and I'm always up for a good -vania game.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
The passion for games is gone, definitely. Nothing about it excites me anymore, I don't even know why I posted that swordorwhip link.

supergoose also called Shroom a troll but it's funny how there were a lot of castlevania games within a (relatively) short amount of time. ten years ago there was a hate for igavanias, all the while i really, really liked them (harmony of dissonance is the best btw). people complained there were too many, it didn't matter to me because it was the same deal with mega man - i liked these games, i don't care if there's zero innovation, they're fun.

so tbh this is really strange, i'm amazed this little project is getting such a ridiculous amount of support when people couldn't give a fuck less about castlevanias on the DS. i don't like kickstarters or patreons either, that's a topic for another thread. these people putting down their 100 dollars, this game won't come out for - at bare minimum - two more YEARS, it's insane.

what's more is that this is just a reminder that there'll probably never be a Julius 99 game. that's the worst part right there.

I ADORE the DS Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow was a BIG deal to me when it came out. I just love those action/exploration games. There's not nearly enough of them anymore. If you still play anything anymore, you owe it to yourself to get Axiom Verge.

It's funny because people seem to hate the anime art style in these games, but I really like it. It reminds me of the Turbografx CD games I loved so much when I was a kid. (Nostalgia, I know. Go ahead and flame me.)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
'sage brings up some valid points but I don't think you're taking burnout into consideration. In my opinion, there's a bit more than the typical windsocking going on in some cases.

Before Resident Evil 4 came out, that franchise was tired. I still played them but you know me-I stick with a series even when they stop being perfect so long as I enjoy them. The whole fixed camera angle exploration thing was getting stale and boring. When 0 came out, even *I* regarded it as a ho hum experience. I've since gone back and seen the game's virtues but at that time it all felt played out.

Capcom knew this so Mikami changed it up and we got, arguably, the best one in the series overall as a result. But now? People are clamoring, begging for a return to fixed camera angles. It's because despite all their complaining and boredom at that time, they miss the old style and are afraid it will never come back. That's one, but certainly not the only, reason that REmake HD sold so well on current gen. If Shinji Mikami were to kickstart 'Manor Immoral' as a spiritual sequel to Resident Evil 3 with fixed camera angles, people would lose their shit and throw money at it.

That's what I think the Bloodstained phenomenon is, and it's why I'm excited too. I really enjoyed the Lords of Shadow branch of Castlevania but I never thought we'd get another Igavania game directed by Igarashi himself. It may come out and suck. Who's to say? But isn't that really the peril we face with EVERY video game release? People are excited that we're actually going to see this thing that we thought was gone come out.

Also, Kickstarter allows passionate fans to show their loyalty and love for something in a substantial way. They actually get to contribute to it being the best and most exciting kind of release it can be. They actually get to help the developers of the games they love make the things that they love to play. When that hardcover artbook comes out, when that soundtrack CD is in our hands, we can say 'we helped make this happen.' It's an incredibly satisfying feeling.

Yes, there are pitfalls to Kickstarter and that is a discussion that can be had. But for Iga fans, this is an exciting moment. Just let them have their fun.

Also, it DOES kinda prove that publishers have lost their way. Look at the financial peril many of our beloved companies of the past are in right now. Look what's happening in the west with season passes, content created during the development cycle SPECIFICALLY to be sold when that time could have been used to make the base game better and more rewarding, and microtransaction. Yearly releases too using mostly existing assets, which I all for as long as the games are still fun and good but more often then not they feel more like shameless cash grabs that attempts to give the fans more of what they love. We no longer feel like publishers are consumer advocates at all. That's why we love companies like CD Projekt Red-they speak out against hostile and anti-consumer practices.

Games are costing too much money to make now and companies are either falling apart or struggling to find ways to further monetize the product because the budgets are inflated beyond belief. Why do you think everyone is going to the mobile market? Because the games are fucking cheap to make and the economic culture of whaling is already entrenched there. But that leaves the classic gamer, the hardcore gamer, the ones that don't want to migrate to mobile platforms, out in the cold. We like our consoles, and we shouldn't have to accept abandoning them just because 'that's not the business anymore.'

A lot of us have an arrested sense of development around here. We still like our childish things. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with that as long as we're mostly functional human beings capable of doing the important things in life that need to be done. You know, like staying healthy and being able to pay our bills and take care of ourselves and our loved ones.

Yeah, we can say that these companies are businesses and that it's their job to make money, and I have and understand their position. But how does that benefit me as a consumer? Why should I be happy that a company is raking it in if I'm not pleased with their output? Games like Bloodstained are what I want more of, and if Kickstarter is the only way to ensure their place then I'm going to support it.