Slim Arcade Stick Enclosure for NES

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Been playing a lot of action games on my Nintendo and after playing so much on my cabs my thumbs just aren't what they used to be.

I wish I could use the Advantage enclosure for its size, but I don't think there is a stick that will fit it.

Anybody have a favorite slim form factor enclosure similar to an Advantage or Namco stick that they've used recently?

Anybody modded their Advantage succefully with good parts?

I'd rather not buy an expensive rare NES stick like the Ascii or Capcom Fighter Stick. I've got a box full of spare parts I could use.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
your thread needs moar xe-1.

s-l1000.jpg

i promise the is the best and last stick you will ever get/ need/ want for the nes. get a controller adapter and oh man. you will be in for a treat.

for making the adapter:

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/famicom_to_nes/index_en.php

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i had one of those for the brief moment i had an MSX. it was tits as hell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Depending on what is inside, you can probably fit a stock old style neo stick in there.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
How much clearance does the Advantage have? If you do some hackery with the bottom plate you could make something happen.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I've actually got an XE-1 Pro for PCE kicking around somewhere. I'd like to try something like Xian Xi said with putting the old Neo Stick in the Advantage... That might just work. And honestly what else am I going to use these old Advantage sticks for, the way they are now I'm surprised anybody ever thought they were an improvement over the normal joypad.

Anybody got a spare one kicking around I can pay the shipping for?

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've actually got an XE-1 Pro for PCE kicking around somewhere. I'd like to try something like Xian Xi said with putting the old Neo Stick in the Advantage... That might just work. And honestly what else am I going to use these old Advantage sticks for, the way they are now I'm surprised anybody ever thought they were an improvement over the normal joypad.

I think Windy has them in stock.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm gonna try and locate my NES Advantage this weekend and give it a try.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The advantage is just too damn small for me. I guess because I usually hold the stick in my lap, and with the Advantage I just can't.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza

Aww that jewel of a stick must have A PLACE in the spotlight.

I was wondering if any of you guys have a XE-Pro FC and a metallic ASCII stick, just to know your opinion about which one is better in terms of quality.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I couldn't be bothered trying out different sticks for Famicom/NES, so just installed a MC Cthulhu board into a modern arcade stick.

ajgKNtL.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah, the old neo stick is about 5mm too tall. I need to find a way to reduce it's size, maybe mount it to the bottom plate or something. I also tried the stick from a Neo hori and it's actually thicker than the neo stick.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This thread needs more awesome. All your shit means just that. 2 button games are meant to be played with two god damn buttons!!!
b0e57af2020caf6af132af8fa76d5a69.jpg

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This thread needs more awesome. All your shit means just that. 2 button games are meant to be played with two god damn buttons!!!
b0e57af2020caf6af132af8fa76d5a69.jpg

Damn, EG how many sticks have you made? I really like this one a lot! Is that the PACETEC enclosure? Looks killer my man. :cool:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ha ha, not that many but I really haven't count. Once you have access top notch parts the rest is just a box and button layouts. Always think ergonomic, the most comfortable you can get the more you're gonna play.

I'm on the works of a genny 3 buttons stick, should be fun and easy cause I'm using the same enclosure. I do have a project in the dark, it'll come, it just takes more time to do than I have at the moment but soon I'll get started.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words but it was really easy and it was Zapatistab that found the enclosure way back, I bought a few and messed around with them here and there, the cool thing is that you can buy the plates separately as in different CPs, pretty cool for an inexpensive set up. I'm in the works of a genny stick, 3 buttons only, I love having just enough buttons for the job, I dunno, I'm just peculiar about it.

DSC02473.JPG
Super Gun sticks.

Hey Ken, Marty/MC76 just ordered some enclosures which seem to be really cool and inexpensive, he's making a Neo stick with it, I think you could ask him where he got it from and you could get one, I could help you with the PCB or you could do it yourself, it's pretty basic.
DSC03185.JPG
DSC03188.JPG

Check it out Ken!
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257194-Favorite-Joystick-to-Play-With&p=3898891&viewfull=1#post3898891

This is the stick that inspired me to do the NES stick myself, a thing of beauty but the price point is crazy! I made my set up with a MC stick I took out of a mod job which does the job just fine and some spare buttons, so not even 50 bucks worth of parts involved and the enclosure was pretty cheap too!
hrdfamistick.jpg

I set the Start & Select Buttons below 'cause I can hit either on the fly with my thumb for games that use them frequently like Batman Sunsoft City and G.I. Joe Taxan, love those games and thus I needed to place them at the ready. I was also thinking of adding turbo buttons right above the A & B respectively with 24mm buttons but felt like it could have been too much, I dunno, I'm still dwelling on it, what do you guys think? The only reason I'd like Turbo is for some games that you just shoot all day! Can get pretty crazy. Jump and Shoot Man!

I was also thinking of adding some art and reproed the NES Advantage layout, I haven't finished it but I could, I dunno too cliché I guess, here's a couple samples I did, any suggestions are most welcomed.
AB NES P.jpgAB NES AFSOJ P.jpg

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Grave, I remember you talking about that Ascii Stick, and damn is that thing a beaut! But I'm sure a scratch built one will be way better. Dig the 2nd overlay over the first. I'm getting pumped for this project, gonna drop MC76 a line tonight, the enclosures in the link look like a great platform to work off of.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The advantage (no pun intended) would be in the parts you use. LMK if there's anything I can help you with, we could get together and build! Not during meet-ups though.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Grave, I remember you talking about that Ascii Stick, and damn is that thing a beaut! But I'm sure a scratch built one will be way better. Dig the 2nd overlay over the first. I'm getting pumped for this project, gonna drop MC76 a line tonight, the enclosures in the link look like a great platform to work off of.

Hey K-2 here's the link to the enclosures I got:

http://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Comtec/A0629109.htm?var=f30d2022-633f-11e3-937d-00163e72470b

They are an awesome place to deal with that's for sure. I got my 2 for free, all I did was inquire about that particular part #'s and they replied shortly saying they would ship me free samples. Hell those enclosures are about $52 each so hit them up they just might hook you up man. :cool:

If you need any measurement's or different angle pic's hit me up its no prob at all man. ;)

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Hey K-2 here's the link to the enclosures I got:

http://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Comtec/A0629109.htm?var=f30d2022-633f-11e3-937d-00163e72470b

They are an awesome place to deal with that's for sure. I got my 2 for free, all I did was inquire about that particular part #'s and they replied shortly saying they would ship me free samples. Hell those enclosures are about $52 each so hit them up they just might hook you up man. :cool:

If you need any measurement's or different angle pic's hit me up its no prob at all man. ;)
Thanks very much appreciate it! :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock: