Atomiswave dead

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I got an AW that used to work fine. I tested it with bootled MS6, worked great using the VGA output. I connected it today, it does nothing. Not even the fan will turn, it's like it's not getting any power, but I know it is getting power (measured it at the JAMMA edge). Any clue what to check? are these things usually fixable or it may be only a paprweight now?

Thanks!!

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi

I got an AW that used to work fine. I tested it with bootled MS6, worked great using the VGA output. I connected it today, it does nothing. Not even the fan will turn, it's like it's not getting any power, but I know it is getting power (measured it at the JAMMA edge). Any clue what to check? are these things usually fixable or it may be only a paprweight now?

Thanks!!
Anything is fixable. What type of power supply are you using on it? You sure it's capable of powering it? Even my busted atomiswave will start up the fan regardless of it being toasted. Others can chime in, but I do know for a fact there are surface mount diodes that like to fry on these, but I believe it only effects control issues.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Anything is fixable. What type of power supply are you using on it? You sure it's capable of powering it? Even my busted atomiswave will start up the fan regardless of it being toasted. Others can chime in, but I do know for a fact there are surface mount diodes that like to fry on these, but I believe it only effects control issues.

Hi

I know the power supply is able to power it. It has done it before, it's a MeanWell PS, with +5V@12A, +12V@3A and -5V@1A, I connect it throug the JAMMA edge of the AW. The part that got me thinking is the fan not spinning. I have seen laptops where a fried CPU does this (the fan not spinning) and that got me scared, but I guess a laptop is way different to an AW. I hope it's something not so hard to fix. I am decent at soldering through-hole, but soldering SMT components can be difficult for me.

Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks!!

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Did you check voltage after the jamma edge to see if there any voltage on the components.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
looks like your power supply is +12v (3A) +5v (15A). Usualy 15A is for heavy equipment like AC and etc.

I am not sure but I think the atomiswave requires +12v (1A) +5v (5A) type of suply. There is chance when you switch it on the surge may be greater and you can blow a fuse. Definitely sounds like a blown fuse as the fan is not turning on. But the thing is I don't know if the atomiswave has a fuse in the first place. :confused:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Did you check voltage after the jamma edge to see if there any voltage on the components.
No, I have not, but it is getting voltage fine to the JAMMA edge of the AW. I have not taken the cover of the AW off yet, however it does NOT smells like burned, which seems a good sign IMHO. I'll see if I can test it better soon, the damn work takes all day from me, so maybe on weekend.

looks like your power supply is +12v (3A) +5v (15A). Usualy 15A is for heavy equipment like AC and etc.

I am not sure but I think the atomiswave requires +12v (1A) +5v (5A) type of suply. There is chance when you switch it on the surge may be greater and you can blow a fuse. Definitely sounds like a blown fuse as the fan is not turning on. But the thing is I don't know if the atomiswave has a fuse in the first place. :confused:

Hi

No man, the AW does not have a fuse. At least not one that I can see, maybe it's disguised (LOL). The amperage is no problem at all, the PS only have to deliver enough amps for a device to work. If it delivers more, there is no harm done at all, I'm positive on this. The voltage, and its polarity must be taken into account though, but those are fine (+5 and +12).

Thanks, and any more ideas are welcome!!!

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Yes but excess current can cause overheating and burn-through of components and that can lead to open circuits. Maybe when you played the metal slug 6 that is what happened. When the atomiswave cooled down you got an open circuit. Open it and check for that after you measure the voltage on the edge.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Could be surface mount fuses. The PS2 for instance has a bunch of them.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yes but excess current can cause overheating and burn-through of components and that can lead to open circuits. Maybe when you played the metal slug 6 that is what happened. When the atomiswave cooled down you got an open circuit. Open it and check for that after you measure the voltage on the edge.

That's new info for me, Muppet. I always thought the amperage was drawn by the device, if it draws less then no matter the max capacity of the PS. I'll take pics of the board with my phone, to see if anybody here can help me spot an obvious problem I have missed.

Could be surface mount fuses. The PS2 for instance has a bunch of them.

How do these surface mount fuses look?

Thanks!!

P.S: For me, the strangest thing is that not even the fan spins. Isn't it just connected to the +5V and that's it? I always thought it would spin even if all the chips on the device are fried...am I wrong?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It could use pico fuses. They are very small and not clearly noticeable. The through hole ones look like resistors. They either have a number marking or have banded color markings.

The smd ones look just like ceramic caps. If the board is screened well you should be able to spot F1, F2...etc.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Aha2940 ..just remembered that "MKL" is one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to atomiswave around here. Drop him a message. If there is someone who can give you some info where the fuse is so you can do a continuity check... it is him .

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Aha2940 ..just remembered that "MKL" is one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to atomiswave around here. Drop him a message. If there is someone who can give you some info where the fuse is so you can do a continuity check... it is him .

Thanks for the suggestion MuppeT, I did not know MKL had knowledge specific to the Atomiswave. I'll PM him and hope for the best.

Thanks!!

Edit: It seems MKL cannot receive PMs for whatever reason :(.

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Funny how this "N00B" would know about a member that hasn't been around in about 4 years. :keke:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Good news everyone!!

The Atomiswave is working again. It turns out I'm a stupid and connected the +12V and -5V switched to my supergun, so the AW was getting -5V instead of +12V, therefore it was not working. Fortunately, nothing seems to have been damaged by my stupidity. But that is not the good news. The good news is that I had already bought another AW board, but since mine works, I'll resell it here in the forums for a nice price. I'll post the pics and price when I get it, it's in transit right now, so if you are interested, start saving (LOL) for when I publish it. Please do not PM me now asking for dibs or anything. When I post it, it will be the time.

Thanks!!, and lesson learned: always check your voltage inputs before connecting anything.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Nice news man. I was a bit concerned as I think sold you this AW.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Nice news man. I was a bit concerned as I think sold you this AW.

Sure man, it was you who sold it to me. But no need to worry, as I stated, the board worked perfectly when I got it. If it got broken later, then I guess that's tough luck for me since you cannot give any warranty on it. But it still works fine, so no problem.

P.S: disappointed that in MS6 there is no red blood and the soldiers do not burn funny like in the previous 6 MS games. Well, I guess I'll have to live with that unless somebody patches the rom (:keke:)

Thanks!!