Famicom Disk System Overheating

DaveyDarko

n00b
Does anyone have any experience with the famicom disk system attachment for the original Japanese Nintendo famicom? I have noticed recently while playing disk system games my famicom gets really hot.

I am using a genesis model 1 power supply, but I am afraid I am going to have to purchase the original power adapter and a step down converter.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I think you nailed it on the head. If the wrong power supply is used I bet it would overheat. I only have a sharp twin famicom so I can't check what voltage it should be but hopefully someone who has a legit one can tell you what there's is. A step down converter doesn't seem necessary though as the power adapter should be 100~120 anyways.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I think you nailed it on the head. If the wrong power supply is used I bet it would overheat. I only have a sharp twin famicom so I can't check what voltage it should be but hopefully someone who has a legit one can tell you what there's is. A step down converter doesn't seem necessary though as the power adapter should be 100~120 anyways.

correct.

plus you dont really need a stepdown unless you are running the damn thing constantly.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Instead of using a AC adapter, you could always power it on batteries. I've been using the same set of batteries with my FDS for the past several years and they are still going strong.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Instead of using a AC adapter, you could always power it on batteries. I've been using the same set of batteries with my FDS for the past several years and they are still going strong.

also true. it only draws power when loading a game to the ram cart. not much power.

DaveyDarko

n00b
Thank you everyone for your quick responses!

Its not the Disk Drive that is overheating or the ram adapter, its the famicom its self. I think the ram adapter is blocking the air vents on the back, and the extra voltage is causing alot of heat to build up >.<

Thanks everyone! I will start by purchasing the correct power adapter and see where it goes from there!

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I think the ram adapter is blocking the air vents on the back, and the extra voltage is causing alot of heat to build up >.<
Well a large part of the problem is that the original Famicom has a small heat sink on the 7805, so it tends to get fairly hot back there even without the FDS connected. You can try adding some fresh thermal compound on the 7805 (I recommend using Arctic Silver 5) or if you want to permanently fix the problem, replace the 7805 with a switching regulator which creates no heat whatsoever.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Agree with the above. It's doubtful the power supply is the issue, likely the regulator.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Genesis adapter is fine, no step down nonsense necessary. Easiest solution as mentioned before is just use batteries.