4K HD TV COMPATIBILITY WITH XRGB MINI AND RETRO SYSTEMS

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new tv and currently considering a 4k hd but I'm unsure if it works the framemeister. Any body know if the framemeister works with 4k tv's? How does the scan lines look and any lags compare to the 1080 tv sets?

Thanks

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I don't have any first-hand experience, but I assume that a 4K TV will have to quadruple-upscale the 1080p signal that from the Framemeister, resulting in chunky pixels and lag. Maybe you should wait until a next-gen native 4K upscalar comes out?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
most 4k can run in 1080p mode. you should be fine.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've got one hooked up to 4k and like it just fine.

I don't have a solid way to test lag but as far as I can tell it is not an issue for any of the games I've played. The scan lines though will be the same issue as always.

I guess some of the issues will depend on the actual TV. I hear some have crappy upconverter/scalers or whatever and do produce a good bit of lag.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'm using xrgb mini with 4K projector without any problems. Scanlines look good and lag is no worse than with full hd tv. Picture is better than with my 1080p projector

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7335/15794947043_e5bf67a6bf_h.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8655/16416521222_d6fb362c61_o.jpg

Those scan lines looks great but I know the framemeister only displays the scan lines correctly on 720p. So am I suppose to look for a 4k tv that have the option down scale to 720? I know the scan lines looks terrible on 1080p.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I've got one hooked up to 4k and like it just fine.

I don't have a solid way to test lag but as far as I can tell it is not an issue for any of the games I've played. The scan lines though will be the same issue as always.

I guess some of the issues will depend on the actual TV. I hear some have crappy upconverter/scalers or whatever and do produce a good bit of lag.

I'm assuming the scan lines only looks good on 720p? Is there an option on your tv to change the output to 720p instead of 4k?

miisalo

Astra Superstar
So am I suppose to look for a 4k tv that have the option down scale to 720? I know the scan lines looks terrible on 1080p.

3 * 720p = 2160p = 4K resolution. 720p material scales perfectly fine to 4K and scanlines scales like anything else in the picture. Scanlines looks crappy if you use 1080p resolution in xrgb, because it first scales and the applies scanlines and with 1080p scanlines are too thin compared to the actual pixels.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
That is pretty much how it works out. Set your mini output to 720p and use your scanlines and let the tv do the rest. I've tried it with and without. Both options look good I think. I'll see if I can get some pictures up later

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I also can't see any reason why a 4k TV will have issues providing the converter is outputting in in one of the standard resolutions accepted by panels.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
My camera won't play well with the tv. I can't take a full screen shot and it look decent. Maybe its the lighting.

Here are a few pictures that came out okay. They are just some close ups to show the scanlines on and on with them off.

DSCF0708.JPG
DSCF0715.JPG
DSCF0716.JPG

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
My lag test is being able to grab a star card in SMB3. Lag will get you a flower card every time.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My lag test is being able to grab a star card in SMB3. Lag will get you a flower card every time.
My lag test is fighting Soda Popinski in NES punch out, if there's lag I can't beat him, or I barely win and get slaughtered by Mr Sandman. On a real NES on a crt I can beat it easily, including Tyson.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
My lag test is fighting Soda Popinski in NES punch out, if there's lag I can't beat him, or I barely win and get slaughtered by Mr Sandman. On a real NES on a crt I can beat it easily, including Tyson.

My lag test is surviving Contra or Metal Slug. With lag, it's pretty impossible :)

rodolfocm

Another Striker
I know that this is an old thread but... is there any new information regarding this? I want to buy a new TV and it will probably be a 4K but I'm worried since most of my stuff is 1080p, including the Framemeister. Is there any drop in image quality? Any comparisons somewhere? Thanks!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Currently 4K TV's in general have no problems supporting 1080p signals. I wonder if that will become less true some day when 1080p is on the way out. Of course by then we'll probably all have 8K TV's.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Currently 4K TV's in general have no problems supporting 1080p signals. I wonder if that will become less true some day when 1080p is on the way out. Of course by then we'll probably all have 8K TV's.

Guess I'm more concerned about the quality of the picture.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I know that this is an old thread but... is there any new information regarding this? I want to buy a new TV and it will probably be a 4K but I'm worried since most of my stuff is 1080p, including the Framemeister. Is there any drop in image quality? Any comparisons somewhere? Thanks!

Depends on the scaler in the TV. I've got a 65" Sony A1 OLED that does a decent job upscaling 480p/720/1080p content, but other models I've seen don't fare as well. Framemeister @720p looks about the same as it did on my old 1080p set.