Cheng's Errand Boy
Tiny improvement. AKA bump.

| Caplet | -13 | Japan | Veteran | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
Spoiler:
zn7Vd75.jpg

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
You guys are killing it and scaring everyone off! I really need more practice. I've started a class and a couple new jobs since I last played and by the time I get home, I feel to lazy to play. By the time I start participating again, all of the scores will probably be out of my reach! (they might already be!)

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yep, go on peeps, talk about this game and post your scores! I'm eventually going to post some strategies for the Germany course soon, so we can discuss this game a bit more in-depth.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Sorry Cap, I have to disappoint you once again pal :D

| suicidekiller | -15 | Germany | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |

But look at my scores! I even had a Bogey on hole 10. Dunno what happened there, otherwise just Birdies. Except for hole 18. I was playing safe there (ending up with a Par...).

Man, I'm still dreaming of 18 Birdies, but to maintain that level of efficiency on every hole will give me a hard time. But I won't give up!

Spoiler:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome scores! Tables updated.

Hey to all who want to participate but feel intimidated; The NTM Pocket League is for everyone, regardless of your score we'll put it up and you can rank with everyone else.

I have yet to submit a score but I will soon and I can promise you it won't be as great as the scores from our top pocket leaguers but hey, participating it's always better than just sitting out.

Talk about strategies, secrets, clubs of legend, talk about whatever you like fellas, the more the better.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
Sorry Cap, I have to disappoint you once again pal :D

My expectations for most things are low enough that I don't get disappointed, really. Sweet score!

Man, I'm still dreaming of 18 Birdies, but to maintain that level of efficiency on every hole will give me a hard time. But I won't give up!

The game won't let me come close to a -18. If I get all birdies on the first nine, the world comes apart at the seams during the last nine. I'm sure it's just me getting nerved up, but I like to blame the inanimate object.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Getting... closer... to... -18

| suicidekiller | -16 | Germany | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |

p10608821yp0d.jpg

My expectations for most things are low enough that I don't get disappointed, really. Sweet score!

The game won't let me come close to a -18. If I get all birdies on the first nine, the world comes apart at the seams during the last nine. I'm sure it's just me getting nerved up, but I like to blame the inanimate object.

Yup, I get the very same feeling. But hey, maybe it's just you who get's nervous after striking 9 Birdies in a row :)

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Neo Turf Masters Pocket FAQ

Please note: This FAQ is based on my personal experience and all is based on using the character Shot Maker. If you have any questions feel free to post them.

Basic Drive FAQ

Q: How much is the difference between 100% and full speed?

A: Add about 10% to the drive of the club. Example: 230y club at full speed gives you a ~250y drive (wind not considered)

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and rough?

A: About 1.5. Example: Using a 150y club from a rough spot will give you a ~100y drive.

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and heavy rough?

A: About 2. Example: Using a 200y club from a heavy rough spot will give you a ~100y drive.

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and bunker?

A: About 3. Example: Using a 100y club from a bunker spot will give you a ~33y drive.

Wind FAQ

Q: How do I use hook and slice to align to the wind?

A: A basic rule of thumb for me is: 5m wind from straight left side equals 1 hook. 10m wind from straight left side equals 2 hook. 5m wind from straight right side equals 1 slice. 10m wind from straight right side equals 2 slice.

Q: How do I cope with the wind from the side without using hook and slice?

A: Since most of the time you'll have to deal with 1-4m wind from several direction you won't need to use hook and slice (but of course you can).
For me a basic rule of thumb is: 1m from straight left equals 0.5 pixel alignment of the cross to the left (not possible unfortunately), 2m from straight left equals 1 pixel alignment of the cross to the left and so on.
So the factor for straight wind from the side is 0.5 x pixel of alignment.

Q: Well, many times the wind won't come straight from the side. More like from North-West or something. What to do?

A: Let's take this example. 4m wind from straight NW equals 2m straight from the west and 2m straight from the front. So in this case one pixel alignment to the left plus some additional drive for the headwind should do fine (see next question how to cope with headwind).

Q: So how to cope with headwind or tailwind?

A: As a rule of thumb: 2m straight tailwind equals about 4y drive. 2m straight headwind equals about 4y loss of drive. So the factor is 1m = 2y. Depending on a high or low shot this can be more or less (see below).

Advanced Driving Techniques FAQ

Q: About that high-low meter you have to chose after selecting your drive speed. How to use it?

A: This one's important, especially the high spin. It also enables you to correct the drive distance a bit if you made a mistake. Let's take an example:
You have 160y left to the pin with only fairway straight ahead of you and no wind blowing. You chose the 160y club but accidently pushed the A-Button at full speed drive. Now choose to shoot the ball very high (straight on the H letter) which will still give you more than 160y drive BUT the ball will stop very soon after first hitting the ground. This is a very important technique nevertheless, since you can also approach the green from very hard positions without letting the ball roll all over the green and end up on the rough or even worse O.B. Remember though: Shooting the ball high will also settle the ball on wind. So in case there's a high influence of the wind (3m or more) you gotta consider this too (see next question for an additional correction possibility).
On the contrary if you have a strong wind and don't want the ball to be settled by it you can choose to shoot the ball low. I've to admit I rarely use this technique since you can also align the wind with the drive speed and/or alignment of direction.

Q: Anything else I need to know about the correction of the trajectory?

A: Yup, you can either give your ball additional spin by holding the control stick up while choosing the high-low bar (rule of thumb: it adds about 4-5y to your drive) or you can add backspin if you press down on the control stick. This technique is recommended if you don't want the ball to roll for too long since you want it to rest on a small target area or if you approach the green and there's still space after the pin (the pin is on the lower part of the green area) and you want the ball to roll back.
However I'd not advice you to use backspin AND a high shot since you'd need much additional drive to compensate for both techniques (which can be hard to calculate if there's also wind...). So you are best of with either using back- or forwardspin (and aligning the high-low bar in the middle) OR using a high or low shot.

Putting FAQ

Q: What do I have to consider when putting?

A: There are basically three important points to consider while putting: Putting speed, grain and hills. The latter two are able to affect the direction of the ball going. The first determines the distance to the hole.

Q: Any recommendations for putting speed?

A: Regardless of grain and hills I'd advice you to use one or two bars more than the aimed distance (speaking for the Shot Maker!!). That way you won't have the problem that the ball stops right in front of the hole. This 'technique' works 99% of the time, it occurs very rarely that the ball slips over the hole.

Q: So grain...

A: The longer the putting distance to the hole the more important is the grain. As a rule of thumb: The latter holes of a course affect your ball much more with grain than the first ones (at least that's my perception). However don't align the direction for the compensation of grain too much if hills are not to consider. Depending on the distance I'd say 1 control stick click per 2m (Note: I'll check that again!)

Q: The hills have eyes?

A: Hills can suck ass! Especially if your ball stops on a hillside and there's grain not in your favor. There's one particular example which always gives me the creeps. I've made up some pictures for this (annyoing) example:

2wuu8h.png

That's our basic situation: The ball lies on a hillside with grain to the south east.

3i4ur0.png

If you'd just shoot with one additonal bar added to the distance (mind: with the Shot Maker!) your ball will roll from the hillside although there's still grain in the other direction. In my experience the hillsides have more impact on the ball direction than grain.

4awu9r.png

Now what you wanna do is to align the ball direction to the ridge of the hill but not too much (!) since the ball shall roll on the very edge and change direction in the end to reach the hole. Again don't consider grain too much.

524uvn.png

Hopefully the ball will have the right direction now and find it's way to the hole.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Excellent FAQ post! Thanks for that!!!

I gotta get back on this game now!

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Awesome post, suicidekiller.

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and rough?
A: About 1.5. Example: Using a 150y club from a rough spot will give you a ~100y drive.

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and heavy rough?
A: About 2. Example: Using a 200y club from a heavy rough spot will give you a ~100y drive.

Q: How much is the difference between fairway and bunker?
A: About 2. Example: Using a 100y club from a bunker spot will give you a ~50y drive.
I'm guessing these approximations only apply to the Shotmaker (who we both use, exclusively). Each character has a different recovery stat, so I think other characters may have different percentages shooting from off the fairway. I haven't tested this, however, so I could be wrong. I wish this game had a test course like Hot Shots Golf.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I'm guessing these approximations only apply to the Shotmaker (who we both use, exclusively). Each character has a different recovery stat, so I think other characters may have different percentages shooting from off the fairway. I haven't tested this, however, so I could be wrong. I wish this game had a test course like Hot Shots Golf.

Yeah, you are right. All is based on playing with the Shot Maker. I've added that to the beginning of the FAQ. I also noticed that the difference of bunker to fairway is more like 3. So 100y from a bunker will give you about 33y drive (with the Shot Maker). I've changed that accordingly.
Some kind of test course would be really nice or a practice mode were you could choose any hole for practice. Would make the latter ones much easier...

And to keep up competition, I've improved a bit on the Germany course again :D

| suicidekiller | -17 | Germany | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |

20150607_2114199qldd.jpg

Got two Eagles on hole #4 and #7 but fucked up with three Pars later. Was at -16 on the last hole. Man, the tension!! But managed to Birdie it.
Now it's just a matter of time until I nail the -18. With a little luck -20 is possible, since hole 4 & 7 are quite 'easy' to Eagle. But one step after another.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Gotta get back to Neo Turf Masters and will post some screenies, when I am ready! How about that neat signature pic? When am I qualified to use it :D

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Good, I'll be happy to beat your scores ;)
I've to admit I haven't played NTM lately since I moved on to Densha de Go, another very nice game for the NGPC.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I ruined my Abitur back then by playing Neo Turf Masters back then.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I forgot about this and I have been busy playing Hot Shots Golf World Invitational. If you guys like NTM, the Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf series is very similar, but allows for much more depth since it is 3D.

Good, I'll be happy to beat your scores ;)
I've to admit I haven't played NTM lately since I moved on to Densha de Go, another very nice game for the NGPC.

How English-friendly is that game? I've never actually tried it because I assumed it would be too challenging to understand.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
How English-friendly is that game? I've never actually tried it because I assumed it would be too challenging to understand.

It's completely in Japanese, but you only need to know the warning signs and that's it. There are about 10 of them, so not very much. And I could give you a description if you need it. The game itself is rather relaxed as you don't have much to do. It's more about estimating distances and the remaining time compared to your speed. Like NTM another one of those 'perfectionist' games ;)

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Oh Lord, I played today, I am nowhere near, where I have been twelve years ago. Can't even show, the score. Too ashamed.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I had a run in Japan for a surprising -7 (I can't seem to get a better run on neither NTM game), lol. I will update the tables soon and pst my score proper.

Keep on swinging Pocketeers!

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Just found this thread. I'd love to join in, just need to pick up the game and a way to play. LOL

It will be coming sooner than later so keep this going PLEASE!!! :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I had a couple runs...
| electricgrave | -14 | USA | Technician | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
de06fae030b39aaa2a81b4f33c320dd9.jpg

| electricgrave | -8 | Japan | Technician | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
38aff4c32e773e3400a7a23ae032381c.jpg

Keep on turfing pocketeers!!!

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OP is no longer being editable, I'll PM Rot and see if he can help us out. In the mean time I'm leaving the updated tables here.

USA

| electricgrave | -14 | USA | Technician | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Caplet | -12 | USA | Veteran | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| suicidekiller | -12 | USA | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| herb | -10 | USA | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Clubs of Legend Run |

JAPAN

| suicidekiller | -14 | Japan | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Caplet | -13 | Japan | Veteran | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Vectorman0 | -12 | Japan | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| electricgrave | -8 | Japan | Technician | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Faselei! | +2 | Japan | Shot master | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |

Germany

| suicidekiller | -15 | Germany | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Caplet | -14 | Germany | Veteran | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |
| Vectorman0 | -11 | Germany | Shot Maker | Stroke Play | NGPC | Normal Clubs |

Last edited: