ps4 and xboxone just weaker pcs?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's been some time since I poked around the world of PC gaming...but it was almost always the graphics card that was the issue. New games kept coming out that would push them to the max.

Working in the world I do now...I can 100% say it is the graphics card being pushed in the CCTV world. I can go fairly easy on the proc (i5'ish works at the moment, sometimes I go i7) and ram (12gb is often the norm now)...but dat graphics card has to be top notch...sometimes I need two depending on the system you plan on running.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
As far as games go, I've primarily been a "pc gamer" since the early 90's(was all about the consoles & arcades in the 80's).

The way I see it though, if there's games you want that are only available for the PS4 or One, then get a PS4 or One.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Well, maybe not ARMA3, but I don't play that, so I wouldn't know.

And by "Max" I mean within a certain range. Like, do you really need 16x AF, depth of field, motion blur, and film grain?

Personally, I hate DoF, motion blur, and film grain so I turn all those off on every game.
I also don't see that big of a difference between x16 and x8 or even x4 AA in most cases, so I'd rather have smooth FPS.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well, maybe not ARMA3, but I don't play that, so I wouldn't know.

And by "Max" I mean within a certain range. Like, do you really need 16x AF, depth of field, motion blur, and film grain?

Personally, I hate DoF, motion blur, and film grain so I turn all those off on every game.
I also don't see that big of a difference between x16 and x8 or even x4 AA in most cases, so I'd rather have smooth FPS.

I guess I mean "max" as in how the game's designer made the game to look. You buy a console game, it is what it is. It looks the same as it did for the developers when they ran it in house. Getting a game and turning off all of the graphic-features is dumbing down how it was designed to look.

...this is my personal opinion so take it for what its worth...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is unfair to call them consoles when you have to install a game, then patch it and then install updates to the system just to play a game.

That being said, So called consoles have always featured weaker hardware than it's PC cousins, but made up much of the difference by having specific specifications.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't appreciate being strong-armed into buying every console to make sure 100% I can play every game I want to play.

I look at it this way. When HD DVD and Blu Ray were on the scene, you had to buy both to be guaranteed you'd get every title. This was a bad thing. Once Blu Ray got the whole deal...HD DVD threw in the towel.

If I were a game maker, I would never want to limit the # of my potential buyers by making a game for one console...no way.

What's wrong with good old ports?

I mean, if I were a game developer, I'd would make damn sure to squeeze every bit of power out of a system to give my customers the highest possible quality and a fucking great gaming experience to boot. If that would mean that other developers would have to create a port or even adaption of the game instead of just lazily recompiling it in their respective devs environments to make it run on another platform, so be it. A game is not a friggin' Office suite for Mac and Win but a piece of entertainment software, and when I buy one I want to have something special that actually has soul and is not just a concession to some PC-dominated standard.

As you can see, I have a slightly broader definition of system-exclusiv games than you may think. I don't mind multi-platform games per se, just dislike the conformity that goes with it these days.

About having to buy another system to play a certain game, well, nobody forces you do to so. Just say no and go with what you have. :)

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Being that the thread participants are largely PC enthusiasts or at least hip to the scene, you may have already seen the potato masher:

Here it is playing GTA5 at 1080p60 (twice the frame rate of a PS4):

Granted, they bought some used parts to hit the $350 price point, but still quite an achievement.

I switched to Mac for my professional needs years ago, but I'm itching to get back into gaming and I'm trying to decide between a PS4 and a PC. I did a little browsing around Micro Center here in Columbus on Sunday afternoon and was shocked at how much PC you can get for your money these days. I figured I'd be spending $1500 easy, which I could (and still might :)), but I could spend a third of that and have performance that soundly beats a current console.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I stick with consoles over PCs mostly out of tradition. My brothers and I grew up playing consoles, and continuing to buy and play the new ones is one hobby we can still discuss. It's too late for me to invest attention in PC gaming.

I think the latest consoles are too under-powered though. We need a new round of consoles sooner than later. The market is strong for now.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Enough about how PS4/Xbone are essentially PC hardware has been said.

When it comes to the games, there's nothing that's really that compelling about either of those consoles to me personally. Perhaps the most compelling exclusive is Bloodborne, but I'm not about to drop PS4 money just to play it. It's no MGS4, which I was willing to drop PS3 money in 2007 to play it in 2008.

I remember one of the stupider high school arguments against the very first Xbox was that most of the games for it got ported to PC. That was far from the truth, but this time around, more and more PS4/Xbone games are actually on/coming to PCs. Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Dead or Alive 5, Mortal Kombat X, Alien: Isolation, WWE 2k15, even Street Fighter 5 is only PS4 console exclusive, it's still coming to PC. PC seems to have become a haven for fighting games ever since Capcom took a chance on vanilla SF4 back in the day. You can play the KOF UMs on PC now, for crying out loud, and they're the most definitive home versions possible. And a bunch of those PS4/Xbone "definitive editions" of older games are essentially taking PC version assets which far outclassed the PS3/360 editions of the game when they all first came out and repurposing them years down the road. And on PC, you get true 1920x1080 rendering nearly every time. None of that 900p crap Ryse was pulling. And the framerate's got a strong possibility of being better, as evidenced by GTA5 most recently.

I'm super mega happy being a PC gamer and having a Wii U. I actually play exclusives on the Wii U that I want to play. And I enjoy them! It's something truly wonderful.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I still haven't bought a PS4 or XB1. I am very tempted to wait till Oculus Rift (or Steam's VR) to come out and then upgrade my computer to play. I doubt PS4's Morpheus will have the flexibility or software support to make it viable. I still haven't seen one game on either system to sway me into a purchase (Bloodborne is close, but I am burnt out from Demon/Dark Souls 1 and 2).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
my take - console gaming has always had a symbiotic relationship to arcade gaming - in the past, they where gaming in pure essence - thus comparison to PCs was mute mostly (though Amiga and Atari ST where always a tantalizing alternative). since the arcade war horse has been retired - the cart is being pulled by PC flavored gaming.
in the end consoles have always been pulled along by stronger, more influential systems - the console has always provided an affordable and practical hub for the gamer. but times have long, long since changed.
so wether or not these are less powerful PCs or not, they, as defined by their nature as consoles, emulate the PC experience nowadays.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
look at the history of videogaming - consoles (pong and later atari 2600 etc.) where created to cater for those who wanted to play arcade games at home - but essentially videogaming was arcade gaming in the beginning - hence down the line the Neo Geo AES system.

and now that the console is orphaned it has lost it's identity

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
PC = nerds

Console = nerds and casual gamers

Who cares about anything else. I just want to sit on my couch and play a few sessions. I don't want to play on a desk. I don't want to adjust settings, upgrade cards, answer emails or anything else. Give me a button to press to turn it on, then I'll game, then I'm done.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I did a little browsing around Micro Center here in Columbus on Sunday afternoon and was shocked at how much PC you can get for your money these days. I figured I'd be spending $1500 easy, which I could (and still might :)), but I could spend a third of that and have performance that soundly beats a current console.

This is what I mean, fuck shopping for parts, looking for this and that, or spending a ton on a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. to get jizz worthy images of 4k and 120 fps and whatever the fuck else gets the pc gaming collective off.

I have a TV that's 5 years old, looks great. I bought my system, plugged in an HDMI, turned it on. I was ready to go (after a few updates).

no dicking around. Just turn the fucker on and game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
This is what I mean, fuck shopping for parts, looking for this and that, or spending a ton on a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. to get jizz worthy images of 4k and 120 fps and whatever the fuck else gets the pc gaming collective off.

I have a TV that's 5 years old, looks great. I bought my system, plugged in an HDMI, turned it on. I was ready to go (after a few updates).

Some people seem to like all that upgrading and fucking around with hardware and whatnot. I never did, worked in IT for more than 20 years and ran my own company, stopped caring for all that PC stuff a million years ago. Computers are tools for me to get work done, browse the net and for communication, that's basically it.

That's why I prefer consoles and my cab, no headaches.

But hey, to each his own, eh.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Some people seem to like all that upgrading and fucking around with hardware and whatnot. I never did, worked in IT for more than 20 years and ran my own company, stopped caring for all that PC stuff a million years ago. Computers are tools for me to get work done, browse the net and for communication, that's basically it.

That's why I prefer consoles and my cab, no headaches.

But hey, to each his own, eh.

yeah, for the last few years, I've been living without an desk and without a desktop. I don't want things in my home to remind me of work.

I use my laptop on my lap on my sofa. I play my games on my sofa. No psuedo workspace.

I also used to fix and upgrade computers in the 90s/00s, I refuse to mess with them now.

Can it browse the internet? Check

Can I watch cat videos? Check

Can I buy stuff on Amazon? Check

Can I troll Neo-Geo.com? Check

That's all my computer should do or at least primarily do. Don't want to open anything, upgrade this, or anything else for that matter. Even web chatting I do on my phone and pictures are mostly on my phone now (I back them up). The desktop is dying and I don't see any thing besides gaming and hardcore work/business applications keeping it alive.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Aside from the Nintendo consoles, I have been ignoring the last two console generations almost completely.
The list of games that make me want to buy any of those systems is small.
Mostly everything is multi platform and ends up being released on pc.

And after around a year and a half of its releases, there is still nothing to pull me into owning either the ps4/xbox1.
The appeal of the consoles has always been its ease of use, just plug and play. Don't gotta worry about any type of hardware issue or dealing with an OS like windows.
Seems like that has been diminishing with the last two gens. Now all consoles must have an internet connection, games must be updated, systems must be updated, you must have some sort of an online account. But even with all of that stuff, consoles are still way more accessible to regular people in comparison to pc gaming.

Today i prefer pc gaming over the current gen consoles because of all the wonderful stuff the platform offers, and because i rather use a keyboard and mouse for certain games like FPS and RTS.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member

My gaming PC is going in my living room so I can use it for media playback as well, and while I'll be playing any FPS titles with a keyboard and mouse, most of the time I'll probably be using an Xbone controller.

Modern PCs have done away with all the jumpers and switches and other bullshit, so a person has to be borderline retarded to screw up a build. You put the parts where they fit and fire it up. The hardest part is installing the OS (which is also super easy).

I totally get what you're saying, though. There's definitely something to plugging in a console and pushing a button. For me, it comes down to the library. Between Steam sales, GOG, and new stuff, I find the PC library more appealing. I'm more interested in this than anything else right now :)

TonK

Least Valuable Player
My gaming PC is going in my living room so I can use it for media playback as well, and while I'll be playing any FPS titles with a keyboard and mouse, most of the time I'll probably be using an Xbone controller.

Modern PCs have done away with all the jumpers and switches and other bullshit, so a person has to be borderline retarded to screw up a build. You put the parts where they fit and fire it up. The hardest part is installing the OS (which is also super easy).

I totally get what you're saying, though. There's definitely something to plugging in a console and pushing a button. For me, it comes down to the library. Between Steam sales, GOG, and new stuff, I find the PC library more appealing. I'm more interested in this than anything else right now :)

Holy fuck! What's up old timer?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

I will say if I had the time and effort I believe it's the way to go. These days I work a ton, try to workout afterwards, cook (even eating out takes time) and somehow try to have a social life attached. It's a tough balance and I have other endeavors I'd rather invest my time in (I'm an avid cyclist).

Looking at the mod scene, the indie scene and revival of classics makes me a bit envious, but like the war of sacd vs MP3, the more convenient format not the higher quality one, wins.