RGB to VGA converters

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi guys

Looking on the internet, I came across this thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Conve...ma-Game-Monitor-to-LCD-GBS-8200-/321680159023

They say it receives any RGB signal and outputs great VGA image, for using it with any CRT/LCD/projector device. That sounds nice, since my LCD supports VGA just fine. It seems like a good alternative for connecting old-school consoles to new displays and have good-looking picture.

Anybody here has any experience with it?

Thanks!!

Edit: And I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, it should go to the General Tech section. Sorry about that. Can this please be moved? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are you seriously only now coming across these dude? At least now you can get them at smoking $20 deals. I remember back when they first came out and they were $60-75.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I got one here for about $40 or so a while back. It's OK. Haven't got around to really playing with it, though.

I've heard that there's some input lag.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah, most of the things I've heard about those converters aren't too great. If you're really interested in connecting your RGB consoles to VGA, I highly recommend picking up an old XRGB-2. The picture quality is amazing and it's worked with pretty much everything I've thrown at it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I got one here for about $40 or so a while back. It's OK. Haven't got around to really playing with it, though.

I've heard that there's some input lag.

I've never had a problem with input lag, sounds more like a VGA problem with their monitor.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've never had a problem with input lag, sounds more like a VGA problem with their monitor.
It's all hearsay at my end; I've never seen it when I was testing my PC Engine on a LCD monitor.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I used to use that Gonbes scaler - introduces a lot of noise and artifacts if I remember correctly.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I used to use that Gonbes scaler - introduces a lot of noise and artifacts if I remember correctly.
Straight out of the box they can, but the power supply can play a big part of this. I recapped mine and added a ferrite core to the power line. Keeping the gonbe's sharpness setting below 5 also helps. I started a thread at theisozone with a collection of mods that result in a much improved picture.
http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47226&p=323233#p323233

Ian Stedman has also been testing the gbs and blogging his results.
https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/gbs-82xx-experiments-part-2/

It will never be as perfect of a solution as a framemeister but it's a lot cheaper and I'm really happy with mine after adding a scanliner. The t-slg is perfect with it.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey, thanks for all the information guys! I think I will order one soon and test it out. if I do, I'll report my results here.

Thanks!!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey guys

I just got my GBS8200 encoder, connected it to my in-progress supergun, and it seems to work fine, and with no lag (tried Razion on it). OSD is in Chinese and no clue how to change it into English, but there is nothing I have needed to change it so far. I had to tweak the RGB pots a bit, because CPS2 and MVS RGB signals are stronger than I thought, but once they got adjusted, displayed fine. The video quality is nowhere near RGB on a PVM, but for $20, I gotta be thankful it displays anything.

Regards.