Thread: RGB to VGA converters

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

RGB to VGA converters

Hi guys

Looking on the internet, I came across this thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Conver...-/321680159023

They say it receives any RGB signal and outputs great VGA image, for using it with any CRT/LCD/projector device. That sounds nice, since my LCD supports VGA just fine. It seems like a good alternative for connecting old-school consoles to new displays and have good-looking picture.

Anybody here has any experience with it?

Thanks!!

Edit: And I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, it should go to the General Tech section. Sorry about that. Can this please be moved? Thanks!!
    Last edited by aha2940; 04-25-2015 at 01:40 AM.

JammaNationX

Are you seriously only now coming across these dude? At least now you can get them at smoking $20 deals. I remember back when they first came out and they were $60-75.

Bunker Buster

I got one here for about $40 or so a while back. It's OK. Haven't got around to really playing with it, though.

I've heard that there's some input lag.
    ...console emulation has no soul...

330 Mega Shock!!

Yeah, most of the things I've heard about those converters aren't too great. If you're really interested in connecting your RGB consoles to VGA, I highly recommend picking up an old XRGB-2. The picture quality is amazing and it's worked with pretty much everything I've thrown at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjmill View Post
    y'know he might be right, the technology inside the DVD player or TV is notoriously unreliable. probably best to take it to your local technology inside the DVD player or TV repairman. that stuff's pretty technical.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by goombakid View Post
    I got one here for about $40 or so a while back. It's OK. Haven't got around to really playing with it, though.

I've heard that there's some input lag.
    I've never had a problem with input lag, sounds more like a VGA problem with their monitor.

Bunker Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    I've never had a problem with input lag, sounds more like a VGA problem with their monitor.
    It's all hearsay at my end; I've never seen it when I was testing my PC Engine on a LCD monitor.
    ...console emulation has no soul...

Morden's Lackey

I used to use that Gonbes scaler - introduces a lot of noise and artifacts if I remember correctly.

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by zaneiken View Post
    I used to use that Gonbes scaler - introduces a lot of noise and artifacts if I remember correctly.
    Straight out of the box they can, but the power supply can play a big part of this. I recapped mine and added a ferrite core to the power line. Keeping the gonbe's sharpness setting below 5 also helps. I started a thread at theisozone with a collection of mods that result in a much improved picture.
    http://www.theisozone.com/forum/view...323233#p323233

Ian Stedman has also been testing the gbs and blogging his results.
    https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/201...iments-part-2/

It will never be as perfect of a solution as a framemeister but it's a lot cheaper and I'm really happy with mine after adding a scanliner. The t-slg is perfect with it.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 04-26-2015 at 06:38 AM.

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Hey, thanks for all the information guys! I think I will order one soon and test it out. if I do, I'll report my results here.

Thanks!!

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the information guys! I think I will order one soon and test it out. if I do, I'll report my results here.

Thanks!!
    Nice I think for anyone with DIY skills, the GBS should be a no-brainer for $20.

You can order a T-SLG scanliner at godlikecontrols.com

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Hey guys

I just got my GBS8200 encoder, connected it to my in-progress supergun, and it seems to work fine, and with no lag (tried Razion on it). OSD is in Chinese and no clue how to change it into English, but there is nothing I have needed to change it so far. I had to tweak the RGB pots a bit, because CPS2 and MVS RGB signals are stronger than I thought, but once they got adjusted, displayed fine. The video quality is nowhere near RGB on a PVM, but for $20, I gotta be thankful it displays anything.

Regards.

would love to see a video if you'd be down to upload one. I always figured these would look like garbage but then again I was pleasantly surprised with the Si0video one I got like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TV-RCA-C...item3aa9f57837

Thread Information