Which AES model

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Then the serial is even less important. Did you even read Xian Xi's post above?. No matter the serial of the AES itself, you have to mod it (small mods AFAIK) to get a really nice RGB image. Also, the serial says nothing about the board inside, it may have been replaced at some point. Then again, what's the worry about the serial number?
You can can have a good RGB image without modding the AES, if you have the right board revision. I have a 60,XXX serial number AES, and the RGB is very good on a PVM (but not as clear and sharp as my CVMS on the same PVM, though). So, to get an arcade standard image on a PVM or BVM, all AES's will need to be RGB modded (and 60hz modded), or you will achieve that standard with a CMVS (or MVS board w/ supergun). But if you have both an AES and a CMVS, it doesn't matter so much that your unmodded AES's RGB isn't as good.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Plus if you do the RGB mod, you can't use composite (unless you have a separate RGB->composite converter).

Please stop giving people advice with false statements. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't even post.

You wonder why I am hard on you, you just can't stop.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
I have a relatively high japanese serial number. Definitely above 200000, too lazy to look it up now. I cut the three traces on the mobo and the resulting RGB picture is absolutely gorgeous. Picture is crisp, colours are vibrant. even more so than on my MVS. I am using the original SNK rgb cable and CRT's only.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I had a test run with two PAL-AES machines, comparing their RGB signals. One was a 49.XXX (3-4), the other a 60.XXX (3-5). The contrast levels and the colors were higher/more vibrant on the latter, but the first one was definitely much sharper.

Now I am not talking about good or bad here, just different... The sharper image on the 49 thousand was better suitable for MotW but looked less appealing with AoF3, where the 3-5 was clearly the winner. It is similar to the SNES debate: 2chip vs 1chip. But mind you, a sharper image is not always the better one, it depends on the game and your gusto.

I 'd like to take a risk here and say, that everything under 50 thousand is sharper ...but since James outranks us all, if it comes to the Neo, so, really, check out the JNX site, it is absolutely fabulous and very accurate.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
I am curious about the switched audio channels. Isn't the neogeo output dual mono at the rear like the mega drive? Do you get the switched channels issue at the headphone jack as well?

Here is more info on the revisions. Doesn't mention any audio though.
http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am curious about the switched audio channels. Isn't the neogeo output dual mono at the rear like the mega drive? Do you get the switched channels issue at the headphone jack as well?

Here is more info on the revisions. Doesn't mention any audio though.
http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

Don't refer to that article. It is a very VAGUE "guide" to the Neo via RGB. MKL (Neo tech god) asked them many times to take it down or correct the info on the page, they did neither.

The audio on a 3-5 is switched, you will only hear the difference at the headphone jack since the AV out only supports mono which is single channel (mixed). If you open your AES and look near the headphone jack, if you see two resistors that are switched then it's been corrected.

This link explains all revision audio problems, if any.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?212122-The-audio-issue-of-AES-revision-3-4

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
185px-Free_speech_doesn%27t_mean_careless_talk%5E_-_NARA_-_535383.jpg

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The Joe8 formula is a delicate concoction of statements later defended by bullshit for the original statement which was never explained properly in the first place.