NEO TURF MASTERS: Los Turfes Club! Score Thread.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
BUMP!

Pretty Amy| -11 | Australia | German | Switch (MVS) | 3 Credits

Been meaning to reread all of oliverclaude's posts and get back in here the past few years.

Hehe, I'd also have to reread them again, see if any corrections are necessary. A double-digit is always pretty, congratulations Pretty Amy!

What's the next easiest course? Japan?

Yeah, no doubt in my opinion. Japan has Hole #5, #8 and especially #16, which are difficult but the Course in Germany has far more of those, like Hole #4, #9, #11, #13 and especially #15, also #18. Germany has very narrow fairways, mostly surrounded by high trees, winds around 5 are already a serious menace.

All considrerd, USA is top tier, followed by Germany, then Japan and, beaten by a distance, Australia. Hmm... speaking of which, I better add this:

The country rating portrayed in this post is fictitious. No identification with actual countries (current or ended) ranks, conditions or status is intended or should be inferred.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got -9 on Japan twice (and some worse scores). Going to go for a -10 or better tomorrow then make an official entry. Regardless, I've already improved upon my previous -7.

Never did enter a score for Germany or USA. Should be interesting...

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Pretty Amy| -12 | Japan | German | Switch (MVS) | 3 Credits

Pretty pleased with this one.

Spoiler:
trUkFnl.jpg

H4JEXWv.jpg

Got a -4 on Germany. Will see about lowering that a bit more.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Pretty Amy| -10 | Germany | German | Switch (MVS) | 3 Credits

Spoiler:
XArCEWA.jpg

WDZaf2e.jpg

What a jerk of a course. While not my best front nine (I sometimes was as good as -9 by the 9th hole), I managed to not shit the bed in the back nine. Double bogey from hole #15 was from going OB in the water. Too many good games went down the drain after going OB, not getting onto a hill, or a tree getting in the way of my ball. I'm just glad I didn't have to "give up" any holes.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got a -9 USA on my 2nd try. I think it's an easier course than Germany. Should be able to go double digits the next few games.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Got a -9 USA on my 2nd try. I think it's an easier course than Germany. Should be able to go double digits the next few games.

Well, it depends on how you look at it. From a 1 credit clear and/or high score perspective, I consider the US Course the hardest one. It offers the least Eagle possibilities out of all courses, because most Eagle chances depend on strong winds in your favor.

Maybe playing with the Brazilian Fernand Almeida could compensate for this handicap, because of his smashing strike power, but then again, once on the Green, you'll have to rely on luck to a very high degree, since his putting abilities leave much to be desired.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I can see what you mean. I ended up having a harder time than I expected. While I didn't have to worry about going O.B. like I did in Germany, I struggled with getting birdies in the back 9. After getting -8 twice (and some worse scores + resets), I had a game where everything just worked:

Pretty Amy | -14 | USA | German | MVS | 2 Credits
Spoiler:
nT2Bk52.jpg

Cjsg8j0.jpg

And I immediately took a victory lap back to my first course of the week, Australia and improved my score there too:

Pretty Amy | -14 | Australia | German | MVS | 2 Credits
Spoiler:
Vo0WaTe.jpg

7C6ol5Y.jpg

Maybe the good luck is from being home and playing on my CMVS instead of my Switch...? Thanks for all the support, oliverclause! It's been a fun and challenging week.

Summing things up:

Pretty Amy | -14 | Australia | German | MVS | 2 Credits
Pretty Amy | -12 | Japan | German | Switch (MVS) | 3 Credits
Pretty Amy | -10 | Germany | German | Switch (MVS) | 3 Credits
Pretty Amy | -14 | USA | German | MVS | 2 Credits

Double digits club. :D

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
For those who have tried it, how does the Switch version compare to the real deal? I want to get back into this game and that might be the most convenient option for me right now.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It's fine emulated version of the MVS release. I only played it in handheld mode on my vacation though. I've had complaints about slight input lag with some of the other MVS releases (e.g. Blazing Star), but that's a non-issue with Turf Masters. When I got back home and swapped to MVS, it felt the same from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm tempted to get it on iPhone too so I can play it more often...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've had complaints about slight input lag with some of the other MVS releases (e.g. Blazing Star), but that's a non-issue with Turf Masters.

Had the same input lag issue with NTM. It plays fine, but compared to my setup it's really not perfect. A matter of getting used to, I guess, and whoever regularly plays modern consoles, shouldn't have a problem with it. It becomes a problem, if you exclusively play classic stuff on classic stuff: it makes you very sensitive towards any kind of lag.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I ended up buying the PS4 version. Between the LCD and the emulator, there seems to be some input lag, but the meters in this game (at least with the Shotmaker) move at a pace where I can consciously compensate for it without sacrificing too much. I think I'm more disappointed with the emulator's video filtering than the input lag. For $8 it plays fairly well, and I can't complain since I knew what I was getting into.

Vectorman0 | -15 | Germany | German | PS4 (MVS) | 1 Credit

I almost restarted when I shot par on hole 2, but I'm glad I decided to play the rest of the round out for practice.
Spoiler:

vec_ger_15-2.jpgvec_ger_15.jpg

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've mainly been practicing Germany, with little to show for it, but I managed a solid score on USA.

Vectorman0 | -14 | USA | German | PS4 (MVS) | 2 Credits?

Spoiler:

vec_usa_14.jpgvec_usa_14-2.jpg

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I managed to clear the game on one credit with a score of only -13 on Germany last night. I had a really great start until I shot triple bogey on hole 15.

After a few rounds on Australia, the wind doesn't seem to be as punishing on this course, allowing me for consistent results.

Vectorman0 | -15 | Australia | German | PS4 (MVS) | 2 Credits

Spoiler:

vec_aus_15.jpg

vec_aus_15-2.jpg

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Vectorman0 | -16 | Japan | German | PS4 (MVS) | 1 Credit

Spoiler:

vec_jpn_16.jpg

vec_jpn_16-2.jpg

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Holy shit, you guys are good. I'm just getting into the game, and I'm happy to finish with -4!! I'm trying to focus on only Japan and Australia for now, but when I'm a little more solid I'll be happy to post some of my results.

Scrolling back, I am seeing a wealth of information!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you
:crying:

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
So I tried the Neo Geo CD version out for the first time tonight and I am quite torn on how I feel about it. On one hand, it has a nice arranged soundtrack, but it comes at the expense of losing most of Nancy's voice samples! I guess it's just a different experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Holy shit, you guys are good. I'm just getting into the game, and I'm happy to finish with -4!! I'm trying to focus on only Japan and Australia for now, but when I'm a little more solid I'll be happy to post some of my results.

Scrolling back, I am seeing a wealth of information!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you
:crying:

-4 is great for someone just getting into the game. Keep at it and I'm sure you can improve. I definitely like playing one course repeatedly to try to "learn" the holes better. One key to this game is to have a plan going into every hole - know exactly how you are going to safely get to the pin before taking your tee shot. And on the tougher holes, practice, trial, and error is the only way to learn what routes will be consistent for you.

oliverclaude has posted lots of great information, both in general and specific to the Shotmaker/German golfer. It's worth skimming this thread starting at page 1 to look for his posts.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
So I tried the Neo Geo CD version out for the first time tonight and I am quite torn on how I feel about it. On one hand, it has a nice arranged soundtrack, but it comes at the expense of losing most of Nancy's voice samples! I guess it's just a different experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks!
So, my understanding is that the Neo Geo CD version is the only way to play Scotland, and I'm very interested in what seasoned players have to say about that course. Also, I believe I read somewhere that in the CD version, you can hold D during the scorecard and replay the hole. Man, I wish I had those perks.....but I kinda love Nancy hahaha

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
oliverclaude has posted lots of great information, both in general and specific to the Shotmaker/German golfer. It's worth skimming this thread starting at page 1 to look for his posts.

Thank you. You can't expect 100% accuracy from my posts, they're basically just an invitation to embrace the general concept of Nazca's masterpiece, which is: counterbalance. You got a 6m north wind? Counterbalance adding 10 yards more to your strike. Is it coming from west? A single hook will do. You're in heavy rough? It's double the distance now. You putting into a hole, which lies on a knoll you have to approach from the left? Got to aim to the right. Ultimately, it's a zero sum game, just like life. Counterbalance, see?

So, my understanding is that the Neo Geo CD version is the only way to play Scotland, and I'm very interested in what seasoned players have to say about that course.

It's very special and very good. Just don't get scared too soon, there's a solution for every hole. Personally, I think a Zen-like approach is best: Close the logical part of your mind, embrace nothingness, become like an uncarved stone and, most of all, contemplate on the sound of one hand clapping. You'll be fine ;).

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Vectorman0 | -18 | Germany | German | PS4 (MVS) | 1 Credit

Spoiler:

vec_ger_ger_18.jpg

vec_ger_ger_18-2.jpg

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I had another good run today and managed to finally beat USA without continuing.

Vectorman0 | -16 | USA | German | PS4 (MVS) | 1 Credit

Spoiler:

vec_usa_ger_16.jpg

vec_usa_ger_16-2.jpg

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
oliverclaude, do you have any approximate calculation you use to determine the effect a single tree's branches has on the distance of a shot? I'm generally thinking of a situation where you are on the fairway (with Landolt) and the tree is unavoidable 10-15 yards ahead.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Unfortunately, that's a death trap, Vectorman0. Usually, I loose one point on such occasions by putting around the tree. If you have nothing to loose, you can play it risky and try to strike as low as possible using a very strong club. You point left/right from the trunk, adjust the hook/slide curve accordingly and hope for the best to get your ball under the branches. Striking as high as possible with a very low club is sometimes also an option, but risky, and you won't travel far enough to save that strike anyway.