BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was expecting a complete shitshow for American Gods, Season 2 after all of the behind the scenes drama but it's been pretty good so far. Maybe my expectations were just low. The season premiere was originally supposed to be the finale for Season 1 which makes sense if you've read the book.

The problem is that they're not going to get even close to the finish by the end of this season and the chances for a season 3 are likely slim after all of the bullshit that went down.

AG already announced who the showrunner would be for season 3.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/american-gods-renewed-season-3-new-showrunner-1203164650/amp/

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I too agree that the Skarsgards are brilliant. Scandinavian actors who go mainstream (American or whatever) seem to be by and large very talented, very cool

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
San francisco cock suckas! Deadwood movie comes out May 31st!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Was Media already supposed to be MIA in American Gods, or was that done (at least somewhat) due to Gillian Anderson leaving the show? Feels like it's sort of serendipitous either way, pretty easy way to explain why it'll be someone new in the role.

Though I suppose the gods have already proven they can look however they want.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Was Media already supposed to be MIA in American Gods, or was that done (at least somewhat) due to Gillian Anderson leaving the show? Feels like it's sort of serendipitous either way, pretty easy way to explain why it'll be someone new in the role.

Though I suppose the gods have already proven they can look however they want.

I like how the show has addressed this, with Technical Boy telling Media to come out of hiding and update her faces because the 20th century is over.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I like how the show has addressed this, with Technical Boy telling Media to come out of hiding and update her faces because the 20th century is over.

Yeah, Crispin Glover has probably been the early season MVP, IMO. Him and Orlando Jones have been the highlights so far for me at least. I hadn't read that THR article before- what a mess.

STARZ not exactly endearing itself to me by removing both seasons of Counterpart from its library with zero warning.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, Crispin Glover has probably been the early season MVP, IMO. Him and Orlando Jones have been the highlights so far for me at least. I hadn't read that THR article before- what a mess.

STARZ not exactly endearing itself to me by removing both seasons of Counterpart from its library with zero warning.

Wow. I was watching Counterpart.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Orlando is owning this season. Since the original show runners left, the actors have ramped it up to 11.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
First episode of Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone was pretty good. Basically Kumail Nanjiani carrying 95% of the hour with Tracy Morgan making a couple of brief stops to steal scenes. Upcoming episodes look promising, too.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Really liking Black Summer on Netflix. It's to the point and not overly pretentious so you don't tend to fall into mental ruts as a spectator regarding where the creators want to lead you via suspension of belief. By no means perfect, but fresh enough that its easy to watch and sustain interest. Quite surprised by it

Edit: in a world where zombies run you down on the streets, where gasoline is worth more than gold, bicycles are your best friends. Come on guy

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Really liking Black Summer on Netflix. It's to the point and not overly pretentious so you don't tend to fall into mental ruts as a spectator regarding where the creators want to lead you via suspension of belief. By no means perfect, but fresh enough that its easy to watch and sustain interest. Quite surprised by it

Edit: in a world where zombies run you down on the streets, where gasoline is worth more than gold, bicycles are your best friends. Come on guy

I hate the characters in Black Summer. I get it, people are still human in the beginning of any zombie plague, and this is a problem, but it really feels frustrating to see how these people interact with each other.

If you're not rooting for the zombies, you're on the wrong side.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

NoHo Hank (Smarter Guy) is the best thing to watch on Barry. I would really like Barry to dump his gf and go for the other acting student in his class, D'arcy Carden. Which reminds me that Kirby Howell Baptiste (Sasha, who works at Lululemon with Barry), is also on The Good Place, which is between seasons, but also a very decent show. It's made me think about life a lot more than I want to admit.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I hate the characters in Black Summer. I get it, people are still human in the beginning of any zombie plague, and this is a problem, but it really feels frustrating to see how these people interact with each other.

If you're not rooting for the zombies, you're on the wrong side.

Haha. I mostly like the choreography and I do agree that most characters grind on one's nerves.
The other thing I think is that some type of rubber/Kevlar body suit would be a simple answer to being ravaged by zombies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Haha. I mostly like the choreography and I do agree that most characters grind on one's nerves.
The other thing I think is that some type of rubber/Kevlar body suit would be a simple answer to being ravaged by zombies.

Or just layers of clothing. I don't know if you have ever tried to bite through clothing, but it's really difficult to get through a sweatshirt or jeans. You can forget about a leather jacket, or even a puffy winter jacket. We humans simply don't have the masticular tension for it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
NoHo Hank (Smarter Guy) is the best thing to watch on Barry. I would really like Barry to dump his gf and go for the other acting student in his class, D'arcy Carden. Which reminds me that Kirby Howell Baptiste (Sasha, who works at Lululemon with Barry), is also on The Good Place, which is between seasons, but also a very decent show. It's made me think about life a lot more than I want to admit.

Yes. Hank is an amazing character, when they first introduced him I thought oh that's funny but making him such a big part of the show and giving him quite a bit of depth has made him extremely enjoyable to watch on multiple levels.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
So far Huge in France on Netflix has been pretty entertaining. I'd put it somewhere along the lines of Curb but higher production value, with sprinklings of sexual context and nudity. The best part is the way the California/LA lifestyle is portrayed and critiqued and the supporting actors do a great job imo - plenty of subtle wit to go along.
It takes a few episodes to open up, but if you just want to have a few laughs I recommend it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Black Summer - I enjoyed all the episodes except for episode 3, the one with the kids. i haven't yelled out loud in frustration in a long ass time. So much dumb annoying shit happen. It was a bit short, hopefully a second season. So is Z Nation worth watching?

Warriors - Watch the first episode and it was actually pretty good. Not feeling the lead though, maybe if i didn't invision Bruce Lee playing the role, i would cut him some slack. Still too soon to tell.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Yes. Hank is an amazing character, when they first introduced him I thought oh that's funny but making him such a big part of the show and giving him quite a bit of depth has made him extremely enjoyable to watch on multiple levels.
I was worried that Hank without Goran would be boring, but like you both said, he's easily the MVP of the season so far. The scene in Ep. 3 with him and his bad hitman on the roof across from Barry's apartment was as close to perfect as TV gets.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Reminded me of the Arrested Development Chicken Dance scenes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Black Summer - I enjoyed all the episodes except for episode 3, the one with the kids. i haven't yelled out loud in frustration in a long ass time. So much dumb annoying shit happen. It was a bit short, hopefully a second season. So is Z Nation worth watching?

Probably depends on taste if you'll like Z Nation. It's light hearted mostly, and almost a parody of other zombie shows. I watch it for the characters.

Black Summer is a collection of fucking retards. Obviously the episode with the kids was frustrating. There's no release - no satisfaction. Killing the little boy would been cathartic and redeeming for the show. But none of that. Following episodes with the Korean girl were just as bad. Each group has *one* and only one character with a brain, surrounded by retards. The Korean girl can't speak English but knows exactly what time it is in Zombie land. Her companions, especially Velez ("I'll call you Velez because William would humanize you)", are horribly stupid though. Spears has a brain, but his companion, Rose, is stupid AF. By the end of that episode I was rooting for the zombies to kill them all.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Probably depends on taste if you'll like Z Nation. It's light hearted mostly, and almost a parody of other zombie shows. I watch it for the characters.

Black Summer is a collection of fucking retards. Obviously the episode with the kids was frustrating. There's no release - no satisfaction. Killing the little boy would been cathartic and redeeming for the show. But none of that. Following episodes with the Korean girl were just as bad. Each group has *one* and only one character with a brain, surrounded by retards. The Korean girl can't speak English but knows exactly what time it is in Zombie land. Her companions, especially Velez ("I'll call you Velez because William would humanize you)", are horribly stupid though. Spears has a brain, but his companion, Rose, is stupid AF. By the end of that episode I was rooting for the zombies to kill them all.

Maybe it is a critique on a type of person which is midway between human and zombie. Survival is a question of fitness, bravery, luck, shrewdness, intelligence, and maybe sometimes absolute brazen stupidity. Maybe you are somewhat ment to root for the zombies, the empathy is to be shared with Korean chick (what a weird jawline and twitchy behaviour) and maybe the black guy and blonde chick?
Action scenes where boring as fuck though. Felt way too much like a videogame. The lines are begining to blur man. It's all going beaucoup cookoo

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Episode 7 of American Gods just redeemed the entire season. Felt like an episode of Spartacus.