BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The wife and I binged Lost in Space on Netflix a few weeks ago and we both really liked it a lot. Just a fun adventure story with a simple premise and engaging character dynamics. All surface level stuff but I really dug that about it.

Very pleased to see Glow Season 2 get announced. First season was surprisingly engrossing.

Glow was great. I highly recommend it. Barry on HBO feels like Glow in terms of tempo and delivery.

Also, if your wife likes tv, Marvelous Miss Maizel was great stuff. I personally enjoyed it and I usually hate period pieces that don’t have cannons and fucking. In fact, it’s the only Amazon original I liked a lot.

Ash vs Evil Dead is over, and honestly kind of sad and underwhelmed by the ending. The ending was a true egg for the old fans, kind of like how AoD ended, but there’s no season 4 - and that’s a complete shame.

STARZ has a habit of dropping the ball when they have momentum. They did this at the end of Spartacus, when the series needed to transition to The Triumvirate, and focus on the rise of Caesar and Crassus in Rome with Pompey. They dropped the ball by not shifting to Treasure Island after Black Sails. See they give these characters that you get invested in, and they walk away. It’s frustrating. Like they don’t understand how much money they can make and are afraid to find out.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Glow was great. I highly recommend it. Barry on HBO feels like Glow in terms of tempo and delivery.

Also, if your wife likes tv, Marvelous Miss Maizel was great stuff. I personally enjoyed it and I usually hate period pieces that don’t have cannons and fucking. In fact, it’s the only Amazon original I liked a lot.

Ash vs Evil Dead is over, and honestly kind of sad and underwhelmed by the ending. The ending was a true egg for the old fans, kind of like how AoD ended, but there’s no season 4 - and that’s a complete shame.

STARZ has a habit of dropping the ball when they have momentum. They did this at the end of Spartacus, when the series needed to transition to The Triumvirate, and focus on the rise of Caesar and Crassus in Rome with Pompey. They dropped the ball by not shifting to Treasure Island after Black Sails. See they give these characters that you get invested in, and they walk away. It’s frustrating. Like they don’t understand how much money they can make and are afraid to find out.

I see what you mean. Both Spartacus and Black Sails never lost a step. Contrary to popular opinion, Andy Whitfield did NOT make that show. Spartacus, as a character, might have even become too big for him to play. We'll never know.

I thought it was strange that they killed Gannicus at the end of Spartacus, too. The show would have only gotten better shifting to Crassus and Caeser in Rome. We had characters that were antagonists that could have easily made the shift to protagonists because they were so likeable. Gannicus could have played a role in all that.

Black Sails ended on a really odd note, but I think it was a satisfying one. However, I feel like the last episode should have ended with the opening pages of Treasure Island, with a aged, frightened Billy Bones staggering into the tavern.

Both series remain two of my favorites to this day and there was never any indication that they would slip in quality with massive paradigm shifts to new stories.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I want to know why Ash VS Evil Dead got basically no online hype. People talk about GOT, Westworld, etc. but never saw anything about this show. Is it because it was on STARZ? I am just now finding out that season 3 began and ended.

The first two seasons were perfect for what they were.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I see what you mean. Both Spartacus and Black Sails never lost a step. Contrary to popular opinion, Andy Whitfield did NOT make that show. Spartacus, as a character, might have even become too big for him to play. We'll never know.

I thought it was strange that they killed Gannicus at the end of Spartacus, too. The show would have only gotten better shifting to Crassus and Caeser in Rome. We had characters that were antagonists that could have easily made the shift to protagonists because they were so likeable. Gannicus could have played a role in all that.

Black Sails ended on a really odd note, but I think it was a satisfying one. However, I feel like the last episode should have ended with the opening pages of Treasure Island, with a aged, frightened Billy Bones staggering into the tavern.

Both series remain two of my favorites to this day and there was never any indication that they would slip in quality with massive paradigm shifts to new stories.

Maybe you could say that Starz has a commitment to making shows right, and giving the proper budget. I have seen nothing to the contrary. Even Party Down was excellent, as a variation of The Office, back when The Office was a big deal. But They should consider retooling the actors and characters they have into new roles. John Silver's actor was perfect for the part. So perfect. A Treasure Island series would have rocked, and like who has ever said such a thing? Treasure Island? Yes, it would rock.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yes, a Treasure Island series would be amazing. BS actually got me to re-read TI. I have a copy that Ralph Steadman did the illustrations for, it's fucking awesome.

Black Sails is probably the only series since Deadwood that I feel the need to buy on physical media and re-watch multiple times. Everything about it is top notch.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The Terror. I'm really liking this show. I don't see how this can have a second season; seems like everything should be wrapped up by the end of this one.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Off topic but I thought it was cool the effort this guy put in to try and recreate the reel-to-reel title sequence from the Netflix Show Mindhunter.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I'm halfway through season 1 of Handmaid's Tale and it is terrific but I think most people agree that the show is amazing.

For those of you who have Netflix, I can't recommend The Imposters enough. I started watching it just based on the description and it is a really well done show. It is hard to categorize but I would almost classify it as a dark comedy with a lot of well written drama. Plus it has Uma Thurman as a bad ass enforcer of the antagonist. The cast is great and when all of the characters get together the show really shines. Give this show a watch through episode 3 and you will be hooked.

I binged Lost in Space last week and while I like the changes they made to the family dynamic for drama purposes, the overall arc of the series felt like a 10 hour pilot. It was all setup for really being lost in space. I like that Dr. Smith was kept as the cheesy "Snidely Whiplash" manipulator. Plus, Parker Posey always plays the best assholes.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
IDEAL, a uk dark comedy on what it's like for a certain underclass to get around making money.
written by a local englishman of similar age and background. (also had a hand in SHAMELESS, though that's too real and cringey af!)
BLACK MIRROR, another bleak series, showcasing the all too common faults with human logical processes and the society we live in at large.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The Terror. I'm really liking this show. I don't see how this can have a second season; seems like everything should be wrapped up by the end of this one.
I appreciate everybody on here recommending this one. It is fantastic. Good to see that AMC hasn’t lost their touch.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Same thing with American Gods! Great show, but the original show runner is out IRC, and various cast have indicated they aren't coming back or may not be back. The fuck, Starz?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Same thing with American Gods! Great show, but the original show runner is out IRC, and various cast have indicated they aren't coming back or may not be back. The fuck, Starz?

Gillian Anderson and Kristen Chenowith are out. Makes me wonder what went wrong.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Safe on Netflix is trashy, and also pretty damn entertaining. Michael C. Hall is the star, and he's decent. Episodes average about 45 minutes, makes for a breezy watch, though the plot does have a ton of bizarre (in a good way) unresolved details at the halfway point of the season, enough so that you have to pay some attention to it. But not at an inscrutable level. One of NF's better shows.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Season 2 Episode 8 of Westworld.

I would say probably the best of the series thus far, IMO.
In particular, Zahn McClarnon’s (Akecheta) performance is stellar.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Y'all liking Sharp Objects so far? It's interesting to watch, and Patricia Clarkson in particular is awesome in her role (Amy Adams is good too), but man is it slow. Feels like it prefers style over substance a lot of the time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Possibly the worst period of television programming in 2 decades.

There’s shit to watch, but it’s substandard.

We need more Banshee, Ash vs Evil Dead, Black Sails, Spartacus, True Detective (season 1)

And less of whatever the fuck this is that we have now.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Currently Watching

Luke Cage Season 2
Just got done watching Sense8 Season1, going to watch Season 2.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Season 3 of preacher has been keeping me entertained last few weeks.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
They literally had Jesus Tapdancing Christ in the last episode and nobody made the joke.
The all father seemed to like it lol.
I binge watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace over the weekend as well, highly recommended if you fancy something a little different.
Horror comedy set in a hospital that lampoons 80's shows complete with terrible editing, dodgy acting, shit effects, bad audio, it's very good at being bad.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
GLOW season 2 was really funny.

Luke Cage season 2 was better than season 1. Still not that great though.

I am liking Cloak and Dagger a lot more than I thought I would.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Have GOLIATH S2 in next up. We enjoyed season one, but not necessarily excited for S2.

SNEAKY PETE S2 was ok. A few reveals too slow to develop. Disbelief had to be suspended a whole lot more this season, borderline silly some of the events.

Finished last season of LUTHER. A bit dreary setting, dark scenes in rainy Britain and all, but the story and acting were excellent. Idris Elba can do no wrong.

Were thinking of watching RIVERDALE, which confirms there is a dry spell of great shows right now.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Possibly the worst period of television programming in 2 decades.

There’s shit to watch, but it’s substandard.

We need more Banshee, Ash vs Evil Dead, Black Sails, Spartacus, True Detective (season 1)

And less of whatever the fuck this is that we have now.

The missus and I keep saying how much we miss Banshee. That show kicked butt!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
That's pretty much it though. I am watching preacher too, but I feel like there's a huge void.

I have high expectations for the upcoming season of Better Call Saul. Looks like Jimmy mostly makes the transition to Saul, and Gus/Nacho/Mike looks like it's gonna be good.