BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
the first two seasons, maybe three, were fantastic. probably the most influential western cartoon this decade. when I was younger I felt like I was Finn.

didn't like how it ended. I felt the showrunners got too close with tumblr fans, and anyone on tumblr is a nut and a half. having princess bubblegum and marceline hook up and make out...?

At least it's over now. The show started having problems when it started getting too serious about its own lore. Leaving the background a mystery would have been a better route but people like having shit spelled out for them, so oh well.

I liked the who history of Ooo...and of these characters. I think the random episode story thing would have got old in time. They way they'd hint at the past, or the future in various episodes was pretty neat.

I'll admit that I felt the princess bubblegum/marceline thing felt a bit forced...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
True Detective season three is indeed better than season two. Not that it takes much to be that...

It’s about the same as Season 2 for me. Deacon Frost is wooden in every scene. Mahershala Ali is ok, but hasn’t impressed. The lady who becomes his wife is the best actor on the show so far. Nic Pizzolato has lost whatever touch he had in season 1.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Nic Pizzolato has lost whatever touch he had in season 1.

Well, he certainly lost two heavyweight leads. Watching McConaughey dissect a beer can or Harrelson's face when his wife found out was better the the whole run-of-the-mill story. Personality can sell even the worst scripts.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, he certainly lost two heavyweight leads. Watching McConaughey dissect a beer can or Harrelson's face when his wife found out was better the the whole run-of-the-mill story. Personality can sell even the worst scripts.

Yeah, the story wasn’t even that good. Remake season 1 with Hemsworth brothers and it would be on the level of season 2.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, the story wasn’t even that good. Remake season 1 with Hemsworth brothers and it would be on the level of season 2.

Count me in. You either need talented enough actors to transcend familiar material or someone who is really fresh and unexpected in this context.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What? You guys can't retroactively decide True Detective season one wasn't well written. McConaghuey and Harrelson have both been in garbage before. They are not magical pixies that can turn shit into gold. That is some master class hipster shit right there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What? You guys can't retroactively decide True Detective season one wasn't well written. McConaghuey and Harrelson have both been in garbage before. They are not magical pixies that can turn shit into gold. That is some master class hipster shit right there.

Think about it man. Recast true detective with Keanu Reeves as Rust and Alex Winter as Marty and tell me I need to work in my vinyl collection instead, I dare you.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Think about it man. Recast true detective with Keanu Reeves as Rust and Alex Winter as Marty and tell me I need to work in my vinyl collection instead, I dare you.
Recast with Keanu? He could wreck Godfather 2! That has nothing to do with the quality of the writing.

Season 2 sucked because it was an unfocused mess. Season 1 was an incredibly tight character study that went wonderfully surreal in the final episode. The creator is a novelist and who knows how long he spent writing and polishing it before he took it to HBO? I'm sure he wrote it at a novelist's pace. Season 2 became an ensemble show that he was forced to write in almost no time because HBO wanted to continue the series right away. Of course it was going to suck. And I haven't watched season 3 yet, not having HBO here. But whether it's good or not doesn't change the fact the first season was solidly-written.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well TD season 3 sure shit the bed. How in the fuck did they screw up that bad?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well TD season 3 sure shit the bed. How in the fuck did they screw up that bad?

I think the problem is that Nic keeps trying to push the wrong angles. What made season 1 great could also be that there was a supernatural angle that never gets fully explained. This is part of the appeal of Twin Peaks, and to this day we can’t tell if Cooper did the right thing, or if the Yellow King was truly defeated. In both cases, I thought we had bad endings.

Season 2 of TD couldn’t handle the multiple storylines and the characters were a bunch of losers, which is something Nic needs to move on from. Flawed heroes can’t be on the wrong side of the Mendoza line of shitty/redemption. For example, Rust was shitty but he was also a rainman of sorts and showed the viewer things he was seeing. On the other side, you have Colin Farrell’s loser dad character, with a pedo stache, looking beat up by life, sexless, futureless, and imaginationless. Which kind of describes Ali Mahershala’s character in season 3. Losers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I mean it was incredibly predictable, schmaltzy, completely unsatisfactory. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the last episode was going to pull out some huge peso/cult angle, nope. The coolest thing was the last shot of Purple Haze walking into the jungle. Which I wondered why especially with the time jumping they never really got into showing him by himself doing fucked up shit in Nam, which would have helped with the character building.

The biker bar scene was pretty good.

Whatever, High Maintenance is is probably my favorite current show.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Since catching up on Westworld, I've been binging 3 seasons of Hannibal, weaving in some Blacklist, and after that I'll check out TD s3.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Walter Matthau / Jack Lemmon Grumpy Old Men routine in TD season 3 was cute at first but got old real quick. Let’s be honest, season 1 was a fluke. Either that or Nic had some really great ideas and blew his load in season 1 and has been clutching to get back to that with the past two seasons. McConaughey and Harrelson owned season 1 too, since then all characters have been forgettable. Season 1 was special and set the bar, I’m not surprised at all to see season 2 and 3 fail in comparison. Nic really needs to do something completely unrelated now, but he’ll probably do a season 4 if the pay check is there.

I agree with Wasabi that the supernatural element was one of the clinchers of season 1. Anything cultist or satanist too is going to grab attention.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone watch Castle Rock? I'm not a Hulu subscriber so I was LTTP and watched it on blu-ray, but it sure seemed to nail the Stephen King feel better than just about anything else I can think of.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anyone watch Castle Rock? I'm not a Hulu subscriber so I was LTTP and watched it on blu-ray, but it sure seemed to nail the Stephen King feel better than just about anything else I can think of.

It was great!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Castle rock has a lot of potential. I’m a big fan for Skarsgard. Their whole family is amazing.

Recently watched Deadwax. I think a bunch of you horror guys who like it. It’s about a vinyl record that was pressed by a genius who was obsessed with frequency resonance manipulation. The result was a record that would cause someone to go insane or die, or both. Episodes are short so this is basically a night worth of time. Soundtrack was good too but can’t track it down yet.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watching some of Batman TAS. One thing people never talk about is that every single episode has a unique soundtrack to that episode. I can not think of any other show where each episode has music made specifically for that episode. This was a Saturday morning cartoon, even!

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I don't know why True Detective season three is getting so much flak. It was a good watch, it got you thinking. Good actor performances, OK story. If season 1 was a 10, season two was a 5, season 3 was a 7.5 at the very least.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Rocko, season 3 of True Detective sucked. The whole show could've been done in half as many episodes, then maybe it would've been better. But probably not. It really wasn't that interesting and had way too much boring shit going on.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Watching some of Batman TAS. One thing people never talk about is that every single episode has a unique soundtrack to that episode. I can not think of any other show where each episode has music made specifically for that episode. This was a Saturday morning cartoon, even!

That show was a masterpiece. Probably the last of it's kind, honestly.

My current favorite show is The Orville. Can't get enough of that TNG vibe.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Just finished watching season 2 of Atlanta.
The series is very good, sometimes it's particularly good and sometimes less so. But season 2 has a few episodes which are mind blowing. The Teddy Perkins episode in particular I felt was the best thing I've watched in years. It helps that they allow the characters to go their natural way, that way when they reach episode 6 season 2, it just makes perfect sense that such a thing would happen and happen the way it does.
10/10

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Castle rock has a lot of potential. I’m a big fan for Skarsgard. Their whole family is amazing.

Recently watched Deadwax. I think a bunch of you horror guys who like it. It’s about a vinyl record that was pressed by a genius who was obsessed with frequency resonance manipulation. The result was a record that would cause someone to go insane or die, or both. Episodes are short so this is basically a night worth of time. Soundtrack was good too but can’t track it down yet.
Yeah Skarsgard was really good in CR. That role required a heck of a lot more nuance than it originally seemed like it would, and he nailed it every time, I think.

Deadwax looked intriguing when I came across it on Shudder, I'll have to give it a shot.

American Gods Season 2 is... okay so far, I guess. I haven't read the book, but there's gonna have to be some reveal pretty soon as to why/how Shadow is so important to everything, right?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah Skarsgard was really good in CR. That role required a heck of a lot more nuance than it originally seemed like it would, and he nailed it every time, I think.

Deadwax looked intriguing when I came across it on Shudder, I'll have to give it a shot.

American Gods Season 2 is... okay so far, I guess. I haven't read the book, but there's gonna have to be some reveal pretty soon as to why/how Shadow is so important to everything, right?

Shadow Moon is a necessary tool in Wednesday’s magic trick. He’s the smoke to distract the other gods from what Wednesday is scheming.

Also, there’s allegedly a frame(s?) in the brief clip where Mad Sweeney takes Laura through the horde, of them making love.

I am currently watching The Guild on Netflix, and while it’s silly and fun stuff, I see a lot of honesty in it. It foretold what has been happening at Blizzard since the Activision merger.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I was expecting a complete shitshow for American Gods, Season 2 after all of the behind the scenes drama but it's been pretty good so far. Maybe my expectations were just low. The season premiere was originally supposed to be the finale for Season 1 which makes sense if you've read the book.

The problem is that they're not going to get even close to the finish by the end of this season and the chances for a season 3 are likely slim after all of the bullshit that went down.