Replacing batteries in SNES carts

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Can anyone help me out.

Sat down today to replace the batteries on some SNES carts, rather then just replace the batteries, I though I'd put in a battery holder. However, the battery holders I've bought are too fat.

Can anyone link me some battery holders that will do the job?

Hopefully something in the UK.

DarkRider

n00b
I think it's just easier to buy the batteries already tabbed and solder in the new one. The batteries last long enough that it's not really worth the extra expense of buying battery holders and batteries separate. You might end up spending a bunch of extra money for the holder and battery versus around .50 - $1 for a tabbed battery. Depending on how many carts you have to do you can find people who sell anywhere from 1 to 40+. The only thing you need to watch out for if you buy already tabbed batteries for snes and I believe nes games is the (-) negative tab is usually smaller so you either will need to either find ones where that tab is smaller, or modify the tab slightly. Good luck which ever way you decide.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
SECOND the ones Joneo posted. I have used those before. You will need to bend the legs and trim one of them to mount them as through-hole.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I was having the same issue with some of my carts (notable Super Metroid, which has a board that occupies the whole cart inside). What I did was to cut a part of the board (of course, being very careful to only cut an unused part of it) so the batt holder would fit inside. Then I put cables to join it to the board. Works perfect.

Regards.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've only ever replaced them with tabbed BR2032 batteries - I don't see the point in installing a holder when these things will last another 10~15 years.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I need to somehow change mine on super metroid before the battery dies. It still has my brothers epic ass complete on it so I'd like to preserve.
I'm guessing I'll need to operate on it while the game is powered up in the SNES.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I need to somehow change mine on super metroid before the battery dies. It still has my brothers epic ass complete on it so I'd like to preserve.
I'm guessing I'll need to operate on it while the game is powered up in the SNES.

Use a 2nd battery in parallel. Just make sure it's secure before swapping the old one.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hmm interesting yet brilliant.
So basically solder on the new one on the back side of the board or something?

Sorry, I guess I can't envision the actual technique.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student

Yes, that would work. Just be sure, as busted said, the 2nd battery is secure before removing the old one (ie. it doesn't disconnect when you reflow the solder to attach your permanent battery). And careful about applying heat too long and/or close to the battery (they can become useless pretty easily).

Alternatively, if you can find someone who owns a Retrode, you could back your saves up to/from the cart via USB.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,

Solder some jumper wires to the battery and mount it away from the area you will heat during desoldering. Maybe a via on the bottom or the resistor on top.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've always been too lazy for soldering. I just break the tabs off the old battery with a pair of pliers, being careful not to break them off the PCB. Then I just stick the new battery in, and throw some electrical tape in there to hold it in place.

I've been doing it for years, on pretty much any system whose carts take batteries. I've never had any issues.

Makes it easy to change next time, too. My copy of Pokemon Red has had its battery replaced twice now, and it was really nice to just swap them out and screw it back together in a few seconds.

(I'd never sell a cart in this condition to anyone; this is strictly for my own copies)

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
I'd stick with pre-tabbed batteries that are hard soldered. When you change the CR2032 in another 15 years, I doubt you'll care.