Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

NeoEsteria

n00b
4th generation is king. SNES, Genesis, PC Engine, and Neo Geo compliment each other perfectly. Can't have one without the other three.

As for why I love the Neo Geo specifically, I simply enjoy SNK's style of games. The huge carts and arcade controls are also alluring, of course.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
4th generation is king. SNES, Genesis, PC Engine, and Neo Geo compliment each other perfectly. Can't have one without the other three.

As for why I love the Neo Geo specifically, I simply enjoy SNK's style of games. The huge carts and arcade controls are also alluring, of course.

I never owned a PC Engine. Are they easy to find and collect for nowadays? I remember that there was a lot of talk about their capacitors failing and needing replacement.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wouldn't go that far. Neo can stand on his own just fine, so can the rest. It was the best generation though. However there's something to be said about NES, so many incredible games.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I've been wondering this about myself.
I remember the first time I saw an AES.it was set up as a store demo. Coolest thing ever. Believe it was the year it came out. So I was 8 or 9.
Do I like the nostalgic novelty of being able to acquire something from my childhood that I couldn't have back then? Is that more important than the actual game selection? Or do I really like the game selection? Or, is it just awesome to be able to buy it now that I'm an adult and can just cuz I feel like it.

Both? Don't know...

Probably all of the above.

Similar. When the SFII cabinet got too insane to get a quarter up my friend and I hit up the MVS cabinet. It had Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. Now and then we could attract a few extra players, but for the most part it was mostly us.

One day I went by the local game shop and they had an AES on the front counter with Art of Fighting going. It blew my mind. I never saw a console that was the exact same as the arcade. About 10 years later I owned one and was able to buy that exact same cart since no none ever wanted a neo geo in our area.

Other then that had a lot of good memories playing in the arcade. FF,AOF,SS,SS2,KOF'95, KOF'96. The neo geo was a ton of fun. However in late '99 early '00 the arcades dried up. there were games we saw in the game mags like KOF'99, Garou, Metal Slug 3, but no way to play them. That was why I got off my ass and got an AES.

I bought an MVS when I went to a game store in St. Louis and saw a 4 slot candy and for shits and giggles asked if it was for sale and by chance it was.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I wouldn't go that far. Neo can stand on his own just fine, so can the rest. It was the best generation though. However there's something to be said about NES, so many incredible games.

I got some mixed feelings about the NES. It's true that it has so many incredible games but it also has so many stupid games. The thing about Neo Geo is that the worst games on it are still average if you compare them to the other systems of the time. Perhaps the only exception to this is Riding Hero :).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You are right, all consoles have stupid games but in all honesty, if you can gather 20 incredible games per console, that's all you need. Genesis, PCE, SNES, PS1, PS2, DC, Saturn, you name it, all these consoles have stupid games. Neo was an arcade setup that you can play at home, all the games were designed with the arcade philosophy in mind, thus the playability of them. If you don't know what arcade philosophy is, I suggest you look it up, it's worth the time.

Riding Hero is better than LOSJ. The neo is missing a good Boxing Title and a good Tennis title, I guess we just have to fill that void with Cross Swords and Windjammers.

I never owned a PC Engine. Are they easy to find and collect for nowadays? I remember that there was a lot of talk about their capacitors failing and needing replacement.

Like all things 'retro' PcEngine is getting more expensive but you can find some reasonable PcEngines going around. Note, all PcEngine Duo's minus the R/RX will be a full cap replacement. If you can good with a soldering iron, you can find a PcEngine Duo with sound issues and cap it your self and save some cash.

The Us counterpart, the TurboGrafx 16, cd and TurboDuo are expensive. PcEngine is the way to go.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Like all things 'retro' PcEngine is getting more expensive but you can find some reasonable PcEngines going around. Note, all PcEngine Duo's minus the R/RX will be a full cap replacement. If you can good with a soldering iron, you can find a PcEngine Duo with sound issues and cap it your self and save some cash.

The Us counterpart, the TurboGrafx 16, cd and TurboDuo are expensive. PcEngine is the way to go.

Agreed. I got my first PCE recently. Going Everdrive and will maybe pick up one of the 103 CD options down the road. Honestly, if there's an Everdrive type device available and a console or arcade platform is new to you, it's the smart way to go before you get sucked in to collecting for it.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I liked and still like the Neo-Geo not only for its AMAZING selection of games, but it was the first time there was a home console that could actually compete with modern arcade games. I mean, it wasn't really until the Dreamcast that it became the norm. I still think a lot of Neo-Geo games look better than some CPS-2 games. Plus, it was one of the first systems to come with a memory card, quality joystick, etc. Way ahead of anything else at the time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The neo is missing a good Boxing Title and a good Tennis title, ...

In my mind Neo misses just one entire genre, the so called action jump'n run, as in Strider, Shinobi or, to a lasser degree, Haunting Castle... and don't even try to mention Ganryu. Any Famicom game of that sort is light years better; look no further than Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Power Blade 1&2, the above mentioned Strider, Zen, Totally Rad, Akumajo 1 etc. etc.

Granted, there is the geriatric ML, but get out of here... it's so ecstatically slow and ingeniously wooden with its low fps, nah... it's hardly the Slug in this genre, not even a Cyber-Lip for that matter. And that's exactly, where I'd see a homebrew extravaganza, but as it seems, it's out of reach for those programming wannabees... no wonder, if one looks back at the production values of Strider Hiryu.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Would have loved to have seen a Castlevania SOTN/Metroid type game on the Neo.

I like the Neo Geo primarily for its fighters, but games like League Bowling, Blazing Star, Viewpoint and Super Dodgeball show variety and are some of my favourites.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Would have loved to have seen a Castlevania SOTN/Metroid type game on the Neo.

Now that is a deep misunderstandig... this is a full-bird arcade machine, not simply a home console for hours-long adventure games, which anybody can 1lc, because, frankly, there is no real game over. Get out with SotN anyway, it's a Metroid/Prince of Persia rip for Twilight fans. But sure, to each is own... I wonder what's next though, a Neo-MGS request? An 'I'd love to have Assassins Creed on my MVS' poll? As mentioned above... a deep misunderstanding.

This might help... possibly maybe...

If you don't know what arcade philosophy is, I suggest you look it up, it's worth the time.

Last edited:

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Now that is a deep misunderstandig... this is a full-bird arcade machine, not simply a home console for hours-long adventure games, which anybody can 1lc, because, frankly, there is no real game over. Get out with SotN anyway, it's a Metroid/Prince of Persia rip for Twilight fans. But sure, to each is own... I wonder what's next though, a Neo-MGS request? An 'I'd love to have Assassins Creed on my MVS' poll? As mentioned above... a deep misunderstanding.

This might help... possibly maybe...

While I do appreciate your opinion,you might be the one that has the deep misunderstanding; no one here is talking about MVS specifically, you do realise the AES is a home console right, so why would it not fit?

This might help.....possibly....maybe...
You know what wouldn't fit? An AES cart in your MVS machine....even if it consolised

Do you mean Anne Rice novels, because Castlevania SOTN predates Twilight by around eight years?

Ultra7350

n00b
I'm new to the Neo Geo system. I have been collecting arcades mainly 1980's for a while. Now I just bought a Neo Geo MVS 4 slot arcade. I like the variety of different type of games that you can get with this and the muti carts available.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...the AES is a home console right, so why would it not fit...

Glad to see that my phrases are entertaining enough to plaster them all over your reply, ...and though copy&pasting is clearly your game, arcade machines obviously are not.

If ever, then the CD version would qualify as a sort of home console, SNK released some anti-arcade games for it; plus the architecture of the Neo-CD along with it's format are indeed suitable to embrace some cheesy games for domestic use only, see SSRPG.

And please, the predating argument doesn't change a thing... it's just that the screen adaptation came later on. But stylistically & conceptually? It's the difference of a tortoise to a turtle, ...if you know what I mean ;).

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I would have loved to see a Magician Lord type of game on the Neo Geo with better graphics and easier gameplay.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug

Sigh...unfortunately, I've got no soldering skills. Maybe one day, I'll have the time and practice on some old electronics. Plus, I'd probably have to mod it for RGB output to get it to display decently. I think the PCE/TG16 console will have to be the one I skip.

Too bad it's the only one that I'm missing from my collection from that childhood/teenage era that I care about. Don't really care if I don't have a 3DO, Jaguar, or 32X and I guess one day, I should look for a Virtual Boy for completionism but I remember watching my friend play Ys on his TurboCD as a kid and it was like nothing I had seen before.

I would have loved to see a Magician Lord type of game on the Neo Geo with better graphics and easier gameplay.

Sorry if this is Neo Geo blasphemy, but I never got into that game. The controls were so stiff, I never managed to get anywhere with it. I always felt that Magician Lord sucked. Maybe I just suck. Yeah, that's probably it.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

ML wanted to be a Daimakaimura with a twist and it became one... but with a lumbago instead. As for my part, I dig the graphics, love the music, hate the pacing and the overall feeling. Strider, Daimakaimura & Shinobi are the best the genre has to offer. If you love those games, you won't stomach Magician Lord. If those Wonder 3 would not exist, I'd probably give ML more chances though, but as it stands now, it won't happen.

Sorry if this is Neo Geo blasphemy, ...

Nah, you won't shock anyone with that, unless we'd party like it's 1991, then you could be skewered. One sympathizes ;).

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There is nothing like revisiting some of the best Neo Geo games. I'm not saying other systems don't have games that never get old, but there is something comforting about popping in a Metal Slug cart and blasting the hell out of everything. Also, I don't have to wait 45 minutes to download the latest updates from a server before playing it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Magician Lord has moe in common with Magic Sword, Rygar, etc. than Strider, Gn'G and the previously mentioned titles.

Oli stop being such a hipster with the Daimakaibullshit.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oli stop being such a hipster with the Daimakaibullshit.

Eli, stop being such a second-guesser... could we know each other in the other dimension outside n-g.com, you'd know that Fujiwara is by far my favourite VG visionary. But if diggin' Daimakaimura since '89 (before you were born, I guess... just kiddin') is making me a hipster in your eyes, then a lot of people are, and believe me, they'll be suprised to know.

MS & Rygar may share the fantasy setting of ML, other than that... apples and oranges in my mind. Besides, Makaimura is '85, so it eats the latter, while the first one is published after ML, so the good ol' boys from ADK must have been Magician Lords themselves, if they happen to be inspired by a future release. But I'll be delighted to be proven wrong by an xxl reply by the master himself ;).

But what's your beef with Arthur anyway? Too difficult? I don't buy it...

Edit: Typos... ever so much.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I would like neo more, if it had a naxat-soft pinball game.

Also, a proper Ikari sequel-where you either have a panel retro fitted w/ '55s, or implement a skeme where you hold 'D' and tap the joy for the direction you want to rotate.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Also, a proper Ikari sequel-where you either have a panel retro fitted w/ '55s, or implement a skeme where you hold 'D' and tap the joy for the direction you want to rotate.

Threads turning into a missing board here...

On topic though, the reason why I like the Neo, is quite simple, really. It's a big love letter to video games and someone put literally millions of 円 to pull it off... no backing, no double safety here. They lost everything in this livin' large scheme and became a legend instead, that's more than nostalgia, that's dedication. Granted, a stupid one but, oh well,... what else can we do on Sunday?

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
[...]

Sorry if this is Neo Geo blasphemy, but I never got into that game. The controls were so stiff, I never managed to get anywhere with it. I always felt that Magician Lord sucked. Maybe I just suck. Yeah, that's probably it.

It´s not a blasphemy at all. Magician Lord is one of my all time fav games, but I assume that sometimes I would like to kick the Neo off the window because of it´s hellish difficulty.