Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Years ago I owned all the usual consoles and was fortunate enough to have both the snes and mega drive/genesis. I read a lot of magazines at the time and visited arcades so always new about the mighty Neo Geo. It was almost legendary really and I'm pretty sure that it was not offered for sale anywhere in Southern Ireland. Even if it had been I really doubt I could have convinced my folks to lay out those kind of $$. Once I got older I decided I would own the mythical beast. I now have an MVS cabinet too, by far my favourite system and the machine had no equal in my opinion even when the 3DO, Saturn & PlayStation came out.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I really like the smell of the plastic when I open the old style case, thats what got me hooked in the first place.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I can definitely identify with everyone's reasoning thus far.

I think I play 90's consoles (mostly cartriged based) more than my current gen stuff.

I remember the first time I heard about the Neo was on an old video game show here in the 'states (on TBS I believe). They featured the AES and talked about how you could use the memory card to go from the arcade to the home console. As a kid, that seemed mind blowing to me. Ever since then, I was hooked. I always wanted one but it always seemed out of reach to me, until recently when I finally acquired one. The look on my kid's faces when they first saw how gigantic the cartridges were (almost as big as their hands), reminded me of that awe that I had when I was younger. They will grow up to have respect for classic consoles, damnit!

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
The look on my kid's faces when they first saw how gigantic the cartridges were (almost as big as their hands), reminded me of that awe that I had when I was younger.

Your kids must have big hands :lolz:

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Because it's the most powerful 2d console ever and the games are the best 2d games.. and 2d is the only future :-)

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I cut my teeth on arcade gaming at a early age, I was playing on Pac-man, Space Invaders and Donkey Kong in the early 80s.
Hell my first time in an Arcade I had to get a chair to stand on so I can reach the controls.

Then in August 22, 1990 when I was Ten years old I heard about a Arcade Machine that could play multiple games and had a "memory card" to save games.
What was even greater that I found out you can buy the exact same hardware for home use, what could be more awesome. But alas my parents would never buy the AES for me as it was "too much money".

Years later, where ever I go I see that Red arcade cab, when I join the Marines got to my permanent duty station and right in my fricking Barracks common room was a 4 player MVS with Kizuna Encounter, Metal Slug 2, Aero Fighters 3 and Nightmare in the Dark. It only relit my passion for Neo Geo. Yeahs later, when the Metal Slug anthology came to the PS2 I jumped on that so fast.

Yeas later when I found out I could build my own Super Gun to play Neo Geo games, my mind explode.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
I really enjoy sprite based 2D games. The Neo Geo and Saturn are pretty much the pinnacle of that design type. I'm a huge fan of fighters and shooters ,so it would only make sense to like the Neo Geo so much.

warbucks

n00b
Nostalgia, couldn't afford it when I was a kid.. guess what.. I am an older now :P

Always wanted one as a kid but obviously couldn't afford one, this kid on my street had it and we were in shock, he was a spoiled kid and eventually threw it out after he got a psx and n64.... Fucking kid lol

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Always wanted one as a kid but obviously couldn't afford one, this kid on my street had it and we were in shock, he was a spoiled kid and eventually threw it out after he got a psx and n64.... Fucking kid lol

Yeah i remember that transition when everything 3D was cool (even though it looked like crap) and everything 2D was uncool.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Because it's the most powerful 2d console ever and the games are the best 2d games.. and 2d is the only future :-)
The Capcom CPS-3 was about the most powerful 2D system ever made. But it was an arcade system rather than a console. And it had some of the best 2D games, like the SFIII series.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper

Threw it out? Seriously? Was this kid a douche bag or just dumb?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There weren't. The character select screens in the SamSho games aren't made of polygons.

Some 2d, isn't enough 2d-hence...underutilized.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
I loved The King of Fighters on arcade when I was a kid (among others fighting SNK games like Fatal Fury) but I never had the chance to buy a Neo Geo AES or CD. When I started having my own money, I was finally able to buy a AES and few games. Actually I can't remember how or when I bought my AES...

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
I think for me it's a mix of nostalgia and appreciation for 2D gaming (the animation, attention to detail and those huge sprites!). I owned most of the major consoles growing up but Neo Geo was not really an option price-wise. Played some of the major titles at the arcade like Metal Slug, and was introduced to more of them via 16-bit console, Virtual Console, my MAME phase, etc (Super Baseball 2020 was one of my favorites).

I'm finally considering a consolized MVS -- looking forward to some of the quirkier, more simplistic arcadey titles like Neo Turf Masters, the soccer games, etc. Plus I never really played any of the Neo Geo fighting games so I have those to explore. Not my #1 genre but again, the art is amazing. And at these prices not so concerned about the library being a nice manageable size.

PS: My buddy at work tells me he used to rent a Neo Geo from the local video store all the time growing up. So lucky.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Years ago I owned all the usual consoles and was fortunate enough to have both the snes and mega drive/genesis. I read a lot of magazines at the time and visited arcades so always new about the mighty Neo Geo. It was almost legendary really and I'm pretty sure that it was not offered for sale anywhere in Southern Ireland. Even if it had been I really doubt I could have convinced my folks to lay out those kind of $$. Once I got older I decided I would own the mythical beast. I now have an MVS cabinet too, by far my favourite system and the machine had no equal in my opinion even when the 3DO, Saturn & PlayStation came out.
Most kids in the 90s had either the SNES or the Mega Drive. It was too expensive (and not really necessary) to own both of the mainstream consoles and their games, let alone a Neo Geo. Or you might have a SNES, but your friend might let you play his Genesis.
If you just have an MVS cab, you're missing out on a lot of the other arcade games of the 80s and 90s (that weren't on Neo Geo).