Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
+1

... Because I remember and was there when Street Fighter 2: World Warrior and Neo Geo MVS dropped.

Pure nostalgia and real memories.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
+1

... Because I remember and was there when Street Fighter 2: World Warrior and Neo Geo MVS dropped.

Pure nostalgia and real memories.
The MVS eventually had fighters that could go head to head with Street Fighter 2, like Samurai Shodown (1993) and King of Fighters (1994). But in the early 90s, SF2 was better than any fighters the Neo Geo had.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
First game i saw in a video game magazin was final fantasy 2 two so i had to have it...next was cyber lip and i wanted to play it, but....didnt have a gold donkey ...so told myself some day i got to have it !

Last edited:

Gonzo

n00b
I just do OK! :lolz:....... It's just fun like playing our Slot Car Track with my kids.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I didn't play NEO GEO a ton in the arcades as a kid. I love fighting games but suck at them. And of the arcades I went to there was not much in the way of SNK stuff as odd as it sounds.

I was mostly intrigued and knew of the system due to the AES.

And I finally own one... 25 years later... Even if it is crunched. I still love it.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
The first time I saw a Neo Geo it was the AES on display at a video game store that I went to often. It was running NAM-1975 and I remember thinking how amazing the graphics were. I loved how smooth the dying and grenade throwing animations were for the main character. This must have been very close to when the AES was brand new.
Later I saw Magician Lord in a small arcade on the MVS and I started to realize that this Neo Geo thing was way better looking than my Genesis. But I also knew the price and I did my best to forget about Neo Geo.
Now I like having the Neo Geo because it was unattainable back then and because I've found a lot of games that I really like. At first I thought the Neo would be too heavy on fighting games which I wasn't very into. But I'm coming around. I'm enjoying Samurai Shodown 3 but it's tough learning how to play it well.
Not to mention the fact that having a full sized arcade cabinet at home is seriously fun. It's a very different experience playing these games on a proper cabinet vs. the AES. I'd collect for the AES too if I had the money for it. But even MVS adds up pretty fast. I think I've now spend more on the 80+ MVS games that I have than all of my Sega Master System, Genesis and Mega Drive games... and I have a lot of those.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I grew up in the arcades, so I played a lot of Neo Geo. I couldnt afford one then, but I can now. Its basically the epitome of 2D sprite gaming as well, which I love so much. I think people who didnt live through the arcade era or go to the arcades realize the drastic difference between a Neo Geo and the other 16 bit consoles of the time. Its pretty funny to see people play the Neo now and realize it.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
The reason I like the Neo Geo so much is for Samurai Showdown. First one-on-one fighting game that had weapons. Completely badass!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm enjoying Samurai Shodown 3 but it's tough learning how to play it well.
If you enjoy SamSho3 and have the chance to do so, check out the hitbox fix smkdan made, it's worth it.

I think I've now spend more on the 80+ MVS games that I have than all of my Sega Master System, Genesis and Mega Drive games... and I have a lot of those.
That is insane.

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
I was too young to experience the neo geo while it was still in arcades. I love working on electronic hardware and wanted to work on challenging things. So I got myself a 4 slot mvs. consolized it, and havent looked back. Now I'm working on getting a handful of games without spending 1k

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I never knew anyone that had a Neo, but they were in every arcade, every game magazine, and the ports were in every place that sold 16-bit games back in the day.

The Genesis and the Neo are the best systems from the 16-bit days, IMO - kinda fitting, too, seeing that I would play the cheaper Genesis games at home, yet would drop all this $$$ playing on the Big Red at the arcade.

The older I get , the more I can appreciate the quality of the Neo games compared to the mass-produced home console games of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love the Genesis, but the Neo exclusives (especially the earlier releases like Nam and Baseball Stars Pro) really set them apart from what Sega was doing.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Why l liked it was easy "arcade at home". Thats all i needed to know back then.

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
V
The older I get , the more I can appreciate the quality of the Neo games compared to the mass-produced home console games of the time.

Seriously man, the sprites and overall all of the pixel art is amazing. When I'm playing any Metal Slug the sheer amount of detail and quality really shows (not only metal slug). I've studied frame counts per animation and variations of animations in a lot of typical 16 bit games for what I'm trying to get started doing and when I play through a NEO GEO game I'm always surprised by the detail and effort I see put into these. They hold up remarkedly well.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I grew up in the arcades, so I played a lot of Neo Geo. I couldnt afford one then, but I can now. Its basically the epitome of 2D sprite gaming as well, which I love so much. I think people who didnt live through the arcade era or go to the arcades realize the drastic difference between a Neo Geo and the other 16 bit consoles of the time. Its pretty funny to see people play the Neo now and realize it.

The only time i could see some arcade machines was when there was a carnival in town. The first arcade game i ever played was Outrunners at one of these carnivals. I never saw a Neo Geo cabinet though. I very much agree on the Neo Geo being the embodiment of 2D gaming, with the Metal Slug series as prime examples.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I became infatuated with the Neo seeing big red arcade cabs at the arcades in Wildwood NJ. My parents would take me there nearly every year as a kid. I've always loved fighting games, Street Fighter II was the best until SNK showed me some bigger sprites, better backgrounds, different play mechanics, and weapons. I was continuously impressed later on as games like the Last Blade and Mark of the Wolves came out, representing what in my opinion is a true work of art when it comes to 2-D fighter aesthetics. Other than fighters, just like everyone else discovering and playing the Metal Slug series, especially with a friend is a uniquely fun experience. Also, although I could not afford one at the time, the idea of course that a console existed at that time period that could provide arcade level graphics at home blew my mind. Eventually purchasing my own cab allowed me to really appreciate many other games in the library, further beyond what trying them in emulators could do for me... For games to just pick up and play that I never seem to tire of, I will always have Neo Geo.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The MVS eventually had fighters that could go head to head with Street Fighter 2, like Samurai Shodown (1993) and King of Fighters (1994). But in the early 90s, SF2 was better than any fighters the Neo Geo had.

That's nice.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The Neo Geo was only console (at that time) that really captured what arcades were all about in the late 80's and early 90's.. 2D graphics with huge sprites, and high quality sound (voice reproduction). Sega and Nintendo should have tried harder to match the arcade standard of the Neo Geo with their Genesis and SNES consoles.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Small or big, it comes down to exposure. Neo Geo in Australia was almost unheard of, emulators later in life were my inlet.

I read a lot of import magazines back in those days, so I knew plenty about the AES. The arcades were where I got to experience Neo-Geo.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
If you enjoy SamSho3 and have the chance to do so, check out the hitbox fix smkdan made, it's worth it.

That is insane.

^This. I managed to snag a copy a while back. SS3 running at full potential.

powerflower

Banned
Good question OP.

At this time I was deeply involved with jp imports for PCE, SFC and MD. Then I got a job (still in school at that time) in a game shop (mostly import stuff) and was blown away when I saw the Neo in action, this was 1991.

These were the times where there was a significant difference between systems. Neo just killed them all...technical wise! Even I knew Super Castlevania IV is far faaaar ahead of Magician Lord but ML just showed how a game presentation works, no, has to be. Especially the Yamaha YM2610 blew everthing away. And i think SNK had the best linup ever in console history. Just check out how many genres they delivered like, Football, Soccer, Baseball, Shmup, Puzzle, Jump n Run etc. in the first two years.

And then there's Windjammers. So yeah, why I love the NG :)

Only thing I really can complain: Why the hell did they not make Space Harrier, OutRun and Afterburner type of games?

This thing can move and scale BIG and MANY sprites around.

Ok and maybe a 16MHz 68k would've been nice too. Bare in mind the M680000 came out in 1978! Or just overclock the thing and put a heatsink on top of that.

Last edited:

pmoniez

n00b
I read a lot of import magazines back in those days, so I knew plenty about the AES. The arcades were where I got to experience Neo-Geo.

Perth had a huge neo arcade following in the 90's. Orbit arcade on barrack street would advertise heavily new kof games followed by news reports of gang violence in said arcade! A couple of video stores had aes to rent but I never remember any for sale anywhere.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Gameplay, superior design, the arcade feeling, pleasing sprites, soundtracks. SNK is about state of the art in videogaming.